• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What is the Best hybrid Beach\Land detector?

Candidus

What is the best hybrid beach\land detector(s)... ? Is there a good detector for both or do people buy two specialized units?

thanks in advanced,

Candidus

Do You Mean Saltwater?

What is the best hybrid beach\land detector(s)... ? Is there a good detector for both or do people buy two specialized units?

thanks in advanced,

Candidus

In Saltwater - or on saltwater beaches, my opinion is you need a vlf detector for the dry sand, and a pi detector for the wet sand and water. Some think you can buy one hybrid or multi-frequency machine like the Minelab Excalibur and do it all. Two different trains of thought. You decide which ticket to buy.. Wrote about it here http://www.AmericanBeachDetecting.com

Minelab Sovereign GT. it's not waterproof but can be used in shallow water as long as the control box is kept dry. More importantly it works as well on wet salt sand as it does in your back yard. It excels in both environments.

The GT gets written off by some dirt detectorist because it doesn't have a meter. One can be added, but the truth is it's among the best in class in the top detector's category without one. Is it perfect, no. then again, no dector is.

Minelab Sovereign GT. it's not waterproof but can be used in shallow water as long as the control box is kept dry. More importantly it works as well on wet salt sand as it does in your back yard. It excels in both environments.

The GT gets written off by some dirt detectorist because it doesn't have a meter. One can be added, but the truth is it's among the best in class in the top detector's category without one. Is it perfect, no. then again, no dector is.

Is the GT "multi tone"?

I have to vote AT Pro... Excal is nice but nulls iron and won't work for relic hunting on land. It's great on the beach and dirt. I hunt both and the AT Pro does great on both.

Just my $.02.

The learning curve on the GT is learning the tones. Also, how that tone can change as you do something we call the Gt wiggle. That is slowly moving the coil over a target again and again to see if a good tone developes.

I have to vote AT Pro... Excal is nice but nulls iron and won't work for relic hunting on land. It's great on the beach and dirt. I hunt both and the AT Pro does great on both.

Just my $.02.

An explorer also nulls, and it's a superb relic detector.

An explorer also nulls, and it's a superb relic detector.

Exactly.

Sorry to jump OT real quick but people have a misconception of 'null'. It's the same as a tone except it's a blank in the threshold to tell you there would have been a tone if it wasn't disced out. There is no downside. It doesn't mask anything that the iron wouldn't have masked.

Back
Top Bottom