• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ludwig Graf PLAUEN 1826

macuks13

I ran it through Google translate to help disambiguate, which helped.

"Ludwig von Plauen in family ownership since 1826"

The use of Graf is weird. Graf is the German word for a Count equivalent rank I think, their surname was usually synonymous with the place they ruled.

According wikipedia Von means from "the city of", but remember that we are talking about 1826 and earlier. People from a place were part of that place. That is because everyone was pretty much born into their station in life, could only have the same job their parents had, and wouldn't be able to move anywhere even if they wanted to, so a bunch of other people started using it even though it originated with the bloodline entitlement system. So Google translate fudged it and replaced graf with von.

It's probably a liquor bottle label of a very old Plauen commoner family, but you have to post this on a German collectors forum to find out the real details.

Hope that helps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plauen

Yeah it's probably not very old. Well, 20th century but that could still be really early.

Not Graf, but Gräf...the second letter is A umlaut...an 'A' with 2 dots over it.

So Ludwig Gräf's distillery....there is a Ludwig Gräf AG some 50 km northeast on Nurnberg in a place called Marktredwitz. It apparently has something to do with distilling as the dictionary page offered other similar links...my German is tad rusty :)

Voriax

Last edited:
Not Graf, but Gräf...she second letter is A umlaut...an 'A' with 2 dots over it.

So Ludwig Gräf's distillery....there is a Ludwig Gräf AG some 50 km northeast on Nurnberg in a place called Marktredwitz. It apparently has something to do with distilling as the dictionary page offered other similar links...my German is tad rusty :)

Voriax

Voriax, your German is perfect! Congrats on that beautiful bottle!

Back
Top Bottom