small picker check cache

longbeard

Elite Member
im told this type of find is very rare.they are stamped , but i must remain criptic about what farm they came from.thanks guys

Attachments

• DSC00782.jpg
    DSC00782.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,777
Those are very nice, collectible, too. I guess the farm name is on the other side. Congrats.

in the early 1900,s farm workers where paid with them.either 1 per bushal of picked veg or fruit.or 1 per day worked.then they where used to pay rent at the farm they lived in "picker shacks" owned by the farm.as well to buy food back from the farm.and saved to be paid at the end of the harvest season.

its a type of money .that was used between the farm owner and the "picker" or worker

and yes the farm name is stamped on the other side.if i showed it.a smart fellow could find the spot

tags

they're what we call "car tags" here in the coal mining regions of appalachia. Each miner was issued tags with a specific number representing each miner, when he loaded a car, he attached his tag and sent it outside to be weighed. the weighmaster would know who loaded the car from the number on the tag and write down the amount so the miner could be paid. Most were crudely stamped, but if they have a company name some can be quite valuable...I suspect if they were from a commercial farm they served the same purpose

they're what we call "car tags" here in the coal mining regions of appalachia. Each miner was issued tags with a specific number representing each miner, when he loaded a car, he attached his tag and sent it outside to be weighed. the weighmaster would know who loaded the car from the number on the tag and write down the amount so the miner could be paid. Most were crudely stamped, but if they have a company name some can be quite valuable...I suspect if they were from a commercial farm they served the same purpose

Same here, We call them cart tags or coal car tags, usually made of brass, the oldest ones made of some sort of metal and usually didn't hold it's number or mine name if it had one, the brass holds the numbers and names well.
Totally cool find! I suppose metal tagging like that was used in all sorts of labor.

LOL, These are still used! I work in a prison and we use a brass disc with our name hand stamped onto it. Normal issue is 10 per person to account for equipment. We call them chits.

For my line of work, we use three sizes of disc. Large would be a key ring number. Small is a key count. Medium (the personal issue) is about anything else.

That is not to say people haven't added their own twists and personalized the system. Some control room officers delight in scarring chits by whatever means. I have personally spent time painting a chit with pink fingernail polish and wiping the remaining excess. I have seen one girl with a disc that was raised as a nipple (I thought it was a shield, but she corrected me). I've also seen teddy bear and Star Trek shaped discs. Aluminum and laser engraved tags are seen, but not common. Depends on the facility that made them. Brass discs make up most of it though.

Super cool finds, I would've thought they were old coat checks. Learned me somethin new ! :woohoo:

LOL, These are still used! I work in a prison and we use a brass disc with our name hand stamped onto it. Normal issue is 10 per person to account for equipment. We call them chits.

For my line of work, we use three sizes of disc. Large would be a key ring number. Small is a key count. Medium (the personal issue) is about anything else.

That is not to say people haven't added their own twists and personalized the system. Some control room officers delight in scarring chits by whatever means. I have personally spent time painting a chit with pink fingernail polish and wiping the remaining excess. I have seen one girl with a disc that was raised as a nipple (I thought it was a shield, but she corrected me). I've also seen teddy bear and Star Trek shaped discs. Aluminum and laser engraved tags are seen, but not common. Depends on the facility that made them. Brass discs make up most of it though.

i found one my sis in law said it came from CC prison

Back
Top Bottom