Professional Cleaning

Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
The heat let up a few degrees from 100 to 98 so i decided to make a few more passes through my field. No 1800s today but pulled 2 wheats and one of them is a goodie. First is a 1920. The other I could make out 191 pretty easy with the naked eye. Under a jewelers loupe I can make out a really faint 4 and under the date a really faint D mint mark. I looked them up in the red book and the 1914D is a key worth over 200.00 in even horrible condition and alot more as you go up the grading scale. The rest of the coin is in pretty decent shape, the reverse is all clear and you can see lincoln on the front. Just cant make out the 4 and the motto at the top. I ruined a 1909 I found the other night trying to see if it was a VDB or not so does anyone know or ever used a professional company that cleans/restores coins? And what does a restoration cost?

I would ask a coin dealer, cleaning coins can often times devalue them alot.

If you do find something of value have them appraise it, if it really is worth something have it graded and slabbed by PCGS.

That will ensure the value, if not increase its value to a collector.

Congrats on the find but I didn't know there even was professional coin restoration.

Congrats on the find but I didn't know there even was professional coin restoration.

Both PCGS and NGC have coin restoration and conservation. But it costs. They don't charge a flat rate. Each case is different. Plus, they have the option to reject restoration if they deem it isn't going to help the specimen "population" that is in their registry. And I don't think a 14-D wheatie in AG-2 condition as you described is worth it. It may not even grade a AG. It might be cull.

If you do find something of value have them appraise it, if it really is worth something have it graded and slabbed by PCGS.

PCGS and NGC can return any coin they deem not worth grading. In particular - a 1914-D wheatie that has been dug up will be returned un-graded. There are already numerous specimens in both company's registries and a 14-D that was dug up will not enhance the coin registry. If you want to have it graded and slabbed send it to IGC. I think they grade dug up coins. PCGS and NGC will grade and slab a coin that has been dug up. But it would have to be a rarity. BTW, if you send it to PCGS or NGC and they return it un-graded and not encapsulated they will not refund your money.

Nice find. Keep it and add it to your collection.

Some coins can be costly to have cleaned and graded. And alot of times more than the coin will be worth.
I just try to get any heavy crud off of them without damaging them and keep them as is.

Back
Top Bottom