Hot Peroxide Before and After..

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
I decided to use a "toasted" 1887 IH as a chance to work on my Hot Peroxide bath skills. I am always afraid i am going to ruin a coin, and i know you can using this method. I have had some good results before, but this one required a little more aggressive approach. This Indian was so hard to read that i figured "What do i have to loose?" I think it worked pretty well. May soak it one more time, but it's no longer toasted.
Constructive criticism welcomed.

Attachments

• IHC's.jpg
    IHC's.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 844
Much better detail then prior, that's for sure.

I would call it a Success.

I've used the peroxide alot lately with mixed results. On some indians that looked really good to begin with but were just green it did awsome and they came out amazing like they were just dropped yesterday. But on a few wheaties that were in rough shape and already had some pitting it destroyed them. Before hand i could make out lincoln and alot of the detail except dates and after i couldnt hardly see anything at all. Kinda weary about putting another one in it because im pretty dang certain i could make out VDB on the bottom back rim and 190? as the date. Talk about angry at yourself..grrrr Especially if that was a 1909 S VDB, now i'll for sure never know

I normally only put coins in for a minute at a time. This one, i did a total of 12 minutes (4 dips at 3 minutes each). Washing and scrubbing with a soft toothbrush in between. I still think it needs one more 3 minute bath, but my wife tells me to leave it alone. I don't want to get greedy and ruin it.

A little patience and careful attention can sometimes do a lot on some of these oldies.

Looks pretty good to me, what are the actual steps to the process?

Thanks
Andy
Not sure how other people do this, but i microwave a small amount of Peroxide (enough to cover the object) for 15-20 seconds. I drop it in for normally 1 minute at a time (flipping over half way through).
You have to be careful though. Tonight, I may have ruined an Indian Head i found this morning. Couldn't get a date on in, put it in for 1 minute twice. Could almost read (1865, 1885, 1905) but still wasn't sure, so it went in for 1 more minute. Now i can see no date. You must be very careful with this or it may cost you a coin. Hope the daylight shows a date tomorrow, I'm pretty bummed (especially if it was an 1865)

Not sure how other people do this, but i microwave a small amount of Peroxide (enough to cover the object) for 15-20 seconds. I drop it in for normally 1 minute at a time (flipping over half way through).
You have to be careful though. Tonight, I may have ruined an Indian Head i found this morning. Couldn't get a date on in, put it in for 1 minute twice. Could almost read (1865, 1885, 1905) but still wasn't sure, so it went in for 1 more minute. Now i can see no date. You must be very careful with this or it may cost you a coin. Hope the daylight shows a date tomorrow, I'm pretty bummed (especially if it was an 1865)

Oh, and rinse well with water between each dip. (Very Important)

Thanks Gameoftag, much appreciated! I will be giving this a try. Does it work on brass? I have some buttons to clean as well...

Anyd

I have tried it on some shell casings before but now i just tumble them. Never tried it on anything else that is brass. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! it can get better with each minute you soak it, but each minute could be the minute you ruin it. I'm still perfecting it, but i ruined an Indian, so it can help, but it can hurt.

Usually what I do when I soak mine in peroxide is that as it is bubbling away I rub at it gently with a toothpick to loosen up the gunk. Periodically I will flip it over. Then I will pull it out and rinse it as I use a soft toothbrush to scrub it a bit more.

The way I see it, your coin was toasted before, so what is the harm.

If you coin is ok already, the peroxide bath might make it worse.

so look at the coin before the bath. if its a POS, then try the bath, if its better then horrible. maybe just leave it alone.

I only do indian head, both I have done have been able to get me a clear date..

Just a warning to you guys out there.
hydrogen peroxide used with silver can produce enough energy to power rockets. Silver is a catalyst to peroxide, when silver is placed in peroxide of a concentration of greater than 3% it releases oxygen and heat. Very rapidly.

sorry if anyone covered this above, but i usually like to do 2 treatments (until the coin stops bubbling) then dab the coin off with a paper towel (gently) and maybe use a toothpick to get some extra gunk off between soaks. When i am satisfied i give the coin a good rub with olive oil to make it look less dry and bring out the details. Good job with your IH!

Back
Top Bottom