So that clear stone in the $5 silver setting turned out to be....

beachdude

Elite Member
After 6 hours of hunting in rough water on my last day of the Indian Ocean trip I was tired, chafed, sore and bummed that I hadn't found any gold that day. I pushed on for another hour and finally found this ring:

mystery-ring-900.jpg

It was a cheaply made, lightweight ring that was un-stamped but looked like silver. The stone in it was massive but was dirty and abraded on its edges by the ocean. I took it back to my flat and tested it and the diamond tester said it was a diamond. I thought it couldn't be because of the crappy setting and took it to my ring appraiser back in Toronto who had a hard time identifying it at first but said it was a sapphire.

A few weeks ago I took the stone out of the ring and brought it to a good gem cutter I know and asked him to take off the abraded edges and clean up the angles yet leave as much weight on the stone as he could. He removed about a fifth of a carat, but the finished stone is still over 3 carats.

white-sapphire-900.jpg

The result was amazing. It is sparkly and looks like a giant diamond!

recut-900-1.jpg

The cutter said he hadn't seen a big colorless sapphire like that before and told me that stones like this could be quite valuable. He referred me to a specialized gem appraiser in the city.

The results came back today and the stone appraised at $5575! Bam!

weinstein-sapphire-900.jpg

I think I will get a nice ring made for myself with it.

Holy cow! I had no idea a clear sapphire could be worth that much! Major congrats on the find! That's quite a beautiful stone!

:dingding: That is one nice stone - major congrats!

HUGE SCORE!!!!!!! I'd sell that thing .... just don't be in a rush so you can maximize the returns. I'm sure you already talked to your gem friend on how to move a stone.........

Imagine a little yellow smiley face with arms and legs standing up. Now imagine her jaw drops, her eyes roll back and very stiff like she falls backwards as she passes out cold.... Yeah we need that :)

Pretty cool...

I might be the only one, buy I liked the ring it came out of..

Congrats!

<°)))>{

:shock: WOW! I agree, odd that it would be set on silver. I have a chunky silver ring with a big ol' rock mounted on it...........hmmmm...

Back
Top Bottom