What's the value of this Peace Dollar?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,061
Last edited:
Ok 39 members to kind to tell me it's worthless is enough :lol:

So now the story...

A friend of mine was approached outside a shopping mall area by a guy who asked him if he liked old coins....and my friend used to collect them so he said yes. The guy showed him a few rolls of these and some Morgan's (CC mint mark haha) which made him immediately suspicious. So he asked the guy to go with him into a store.

When the guy asked why and my friend said he wanted see "if they stick to a magnet". They went in the store and nope not magnetic...the guy asked how much he would give him for them and my friend said "nothing I can look at them and tell they are fake".

The guy excused himself to "use the bathroom" but never came back, my friend even looked for him but he was long gone.

He still had this one he had been looking at which he gave to me after telling me the story and I Figured I'd share the story here as well.

We weighed it also for fun 19g :)

Last edited:
Wonder how many people who are not as knowledgable about coins got scammed?!? :mad:

I know before I got into metal detecting I never really thought about fake/counterfeit coins.

For those of us with less of an eye for fakes, how can you tell? other than the sketchy guy walking around the mall trying to sell them of course...lol

Apparently I have a gullible looking face, because I've had a person or two approach me for things like that. Two guys at a gas stop tried to 'give' me some home stereo speakers that had been accidentally loaded into their delivery truck. I'm sure that had I continued the conversation they would have tried to get me to pay them something for them. I politely said no thanks and walked quickly away. Nothing good every happens when a random person approaches you like that. Nothing.

BCD

Oh I didn't try the tissue paper trick...yet.

Yeh looks pretty good..can even get it to cartwheel a bit not sure how scientific that is but does help make it look more convincing.

Last edited:
For those of us with less of an eye for fakes, how can you tell? other than the sketchy guy walking around the mall trying to sell them of course...lol

Look at the rim on the front near the top....you can see what looks like 2 rims....that's how you can tell right away it's a cheap knockoff....it's pressed metal, as in 2 pieces pressed together. The real thing is a solid planchet.

I always check questionable coins with a magnet first, if it passed that test a close look at the rim will have tell tale signs "most" of the time.

Look at the rim on the front near the top....you can see what looks like 2 rims....that's how you can tell right away it's a cheap knockoff....it's pressed metal, as in 2 pieces pressed together. The real thing is a solid planchet.

I always check questionable coins with a magnet first, if it passed that test a close look at the rim will have tell tale signs "most" of the time.

Thanks, i would not have noticed it, but I see what you are saying.

Back
Top Bottom