Tips for using sunray probe

mr_baker4420

Got me a sunray probe for the etrac. Man is it more difficult to use than I thought it would be. I ended up pulling out my pro pointer more than once. I got the sunray in the first place because I'm hunting areas that are just riddled with old nails. So, I thought I should get a probe with discrimination. I'm sure that if I just stick with it then I'll get the hang of it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to get comfy with it leave the Garrett in the vehicle. I have both also and really only started using it all the time when I was hunting with a friend that did not have a pointer and I loaned him my Garrett for the day. In all honesty except for cutting the coil change time by 90% on my etrac I may part with it- $400 (used and nice) on the 'bay is looking really tempting

I love my Sun-Ray on my Explorer SE. Before I got the Sun-Ray I was finding lots of garbage on my way down to my desired target making me dig more and taking longer to find my desired target. The Sun-Ray probe has problems in really trashy areas as does a lot of detecting equipment. I admit I still carry and use my Garrett PP at times. I think I need to do this because in public I dig about 4" plugs and the Sun-Ray probe is so sensitive it signals the desired target as soon as I put it in the hole. I have no problem using both and I will never get rid of my Sun-Ray inline probe. GL and HH. Matt

The Sunray is tough to beat. I can't count how many times it has saved me from chasing junk deep iron signals. I don't use much discrimination at all and when I open the plug and the Sunray nulls I know it's junk. With the GPP you spend more time digging those junk signals because you have no idea what it actually is you're going after. I also love when I dig an iffy signal only to get a beautiful high tone from the Sunray once I get the plug opened up. It's always a nice surprise. I bought a GPP about 3 months ago and still haven't taken it out of the box lol. I bought it in order to take some of the burden off the Sunray for every target recovery. I'm just so spoiled from the X-1 I don't see how I'll ever switch!!

I'm not trying to dispute the fact that it may be a great product. I've wanted one for a long time, and now i have one. I just need a little instruction on how to use it efficiently. There are many youtube videos with the sunray probe, but none explaining technique. I guess I will just have to figure it out. One thing that I've noticed is that the depth reading when using the probe is off by about 7".

There isn't a lot to explain. The Sunray probe is just a mini version of your MD coil. You get the same high and low tones from both, as well as the screen, so you can tell the difference between targets, thus, speeding up your recovery time. The best tip I have is keep the probe waving back and forth while you are using it. Also, ALWAYS remember to switch it back to Target mode when you go back to swinging your MD.

Should I run lower sensitivity when using the probe?

No, you shouldn't adjust any of the settings on your machine. Just switch the toggle switch up to the probe position and wave the wand in the hole or over your plug or dirt pile. Since the E-Trac is a "motion" detector, you will need to wiggle the probe back and forth to get it to work, as Stevo mentioned. It will not sound off when it's stationary over a target like a pinpointer will.

I never pay attention to the depth meter when using the target probe, but it only goes about 3" deep max, so if it is sounding off you know you are getting close to the target.

You can also switch your E-Trac over to pinpointing mode while using the target probe and it will indicate the precise location of the target. I have found this to be very helpful.

You can also switch your E-Trac over to pinpointing mode while using the target probe and it will indicate the precise location of the target. I have found this to be very helpful.

Good point, Tony! That one slipped my mind during my previous post.

Thanks for the tips guys. I really appreciate it. I hunted with it for almost an hour with it today. I think i'm starting to get the hang of it...and I think I love it.

The more you use it the easier it will get. Plan on wondering how you ever detected without it when digging for the deepest targets. GL and HH. Matt

Back
Top Bottom