Red patina on clad coins

coinMD64

Elite Member
Hi When I found my 5 coins at the school near my home I noticed my quarter and dime developed red patina. I know that they spent long time inside the ground. How did they get red patina? Soil condition I think, plays a big role in clad coins' red patina. I wont clean my coin finds and leave them alone. Thanks,James

Why wouldn't you clean your clad? I get rid of any patina on my clad coins - they're only worth their face value anyways.

I'd put a wire brush to them if I had one, like newbie shooter.

If you don't clean your clad, there's not too many ways you can spend it.

Why wouldn't you clean your clad? I get rid of any patina on my clad coins - they're only worth their face value anyways.

I'd put a wire brush to them if I had one, like newbie shooter.

If you don't clean your clad, there's not too many ways you can spend it.

Only thing I do with my clad is clean it under water. No point in going too far it is just clad. I'll dump it in a soda machine or something and get new coins.

I doubt anyone would really care if your coins have a patina to them, who really looks too hard.

Could be metal make-up..

Hi When I found my 5 coins at the school near my home I noticed my quarter and dime developed red patina. I know that they spent long time inside the ground. How did they get red patina? Soil condition I think, plays a big role in clad coins' red patina. I wont clean my coin finds and leave them alone. Thanks,James

The vast majority of the coins I have dug with red patina are 1990 - today. I think (please note this is pure speculation :shock: ), that it could be the metallurgy and its reaction to minerals - i.e. salt in the soil.

I would to get rid of the patina so my bank will take them, most of the clad quarters I find are the pre-state, so they've been underground awhile. Maybe I can spray paint em silver.

Red patina is probably from the iron in the soil. Just like the rust you see from sprinkler systems. The metal is in the ground and shows in the water table too.

Red....I get alot of a darker orange color. And these are older to 1965. Having issues finding the 1964's!:yes:

Here in Boston we get a lot of pumpkin orange clad coins. Can't count how many 1965 dimes and quarters I have dug in the this color :(

Back
Top Bottom