Terrible what a little radiation can do !

Wom 27

Elite Member
My favorite sci-fi movie of all time. James Whitmore and giant ants ! It's on right now. Doesn't get any better !!!

"THEM! Ha-ha what a creative name for an early sci-if movie -
-also starring James Arness from Gunsmoke.

I love those old sci fi movies. Like them more today they I did years ago. Special effects were just so bad I can't help but laugh all the way through them.

Lots of great trivia....

First of the "Big Bug" nuclear disaster movies.
Supposed to be in color and 3D...but that didn't work out.
Then widescreen black and white which didn't work out either.

It was 110 degrees during filming in some of the desert scenes and the actors were wearing wool clothing.

The ant's sounds were made using recordings of tree frogs and birds mixed, they were also recycled and used in a few other movies.

Leonard Nimoy had a small cameo as the teletype operator.
The Disney company watched the film to check out James Arness for their new show they were planning, Davey Crockett, but when they saw Fess Parker as the agitated pilot they knew they had their man.
John Wayne saw the movie and recommended James Arness for the lead role on Gunsmoke.

Only three giant ants were constructed so that is all you ever see.
There is a short blooper scene where it accidentally it shows the internal mechanics of one of the giant ants.

Director Gordon Douglas recalled that during editing, "I asked the editor, 'How does it look?' And he said, 'Fine.' I said, 'Does it look honest?' He said, 'As honest as 12-foot ants can look'."

Great movie...a classic!

I like a lot of those old sci-fi movies too.

Caption this "Scenes we'd like to see"...... :laughing::laughing::laughing:
themmovie.jpg

Ants? Whats so scary about ants? As far as bugs are concerned...There is about NOTHING more terrifying than a PRAYING MANTIS! Even as small as they are, what, @4" for a big one?...But, If they got irradiated and mutated?

Try it and see! Put one in a terrarium, drop in a cricket or two, and just watch what happens! Those things are like The Predator had a baby with The Alien!! They sneak up on that unsuspecting cricket, snatch it, and rip it to shreds! Man!

If they mutated into even just 4 feet tall, there would be like NO kids left waiting for the schoolbus! Just a pile of backpacks and cellphones!! :laughing::laughing:

If they got 10 feet tall, You wouldnt be able to drive down to the beer store in nothing less than an Abrams Tank!:laughing::laughing: You couldnt walk out to the mailbox unless you had Seal team 6 along! Oh Man!

Or those big dragonflies? If they got really really big all of the sudden? No Cessna or Piper would be safe in the skies! Or if Wolf Spiders all of a sudden got as big as a F150? Within a week there wouldnt be a cow or farmer left alive anywhere! Shivvers!

Giant mutated Ants? They aint scary at all!! Hell, you could probably put them to work digging tunnels or hauling tremendous loads of merchandise for Amazon! Free Shipping!

Unless you are a Kettle corn vendor stirring up that sweet melted sugar all the time? With Gigantic unemployed ants running around all over the place?......then yeah...that would probably suck down at the Farmers Market!....

Not physically dangerous though, just a pain getting your gear runt the hell over, your pop-up tent destroyed, and all your bags of sugar and popcorn hauled off without payment...You could probably bash them over the head with your stirring paddle, or give them a blast of fire off the propane cooker, and they will scuttle on over to the guy selling peaches or honey and mess up his table!...:laughing:

Whats next? "Attack of the Giant Garden Slugs"? or "The Giant Rose Aphid Disaster"? Ants?...I just dont get it?...a big magnifying glass or a healthy spritz of Carb cleaner right in the face makes short work of them!...:laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom