• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

DIY "Sampson" digger

Awesome work man! Wondering what would hapen if instead of welding a gooseneck you cut a slit in the bottom of the handle and an appropriate sized notch in the top of the foot pad so it could slide over and then weld on both sides?

Awesome work man! Wondering what would hapen if instead of welding a gooseneck you cut a slit in the bottom of the handle and an appropriate sized notch in the top of the foot pad so it could slide over and then weld on both sides?

I was thinking about that for another project. I think it may be a good idea. With these I was trying to somewhat replicate the Sampson while just winging it at the same time. I may try to build a good hand digger when these are completed and might use you're idea.

Hey, looks real nice. Couple of questions for you: Is that just 11 GA mild steel that you used for the blade? Now that you've had a chance to use the shovel for a while, how well is it holding up? Any bending? You mentioned that it was a bit heavy.. Do you think thats due to the thickness of the pipe you used for the handle or the thickness of the blade?

I'm working on a shovel of my own so I'd like to hear your feedback. I know the ones from Predator and Lesche are made from 4130, heat treated and tempered so I'm really curious how well plain old mild steel will hold up after some heavy use. I'd like to make mine as light as possible while still being durable so still debating on what thickness to use for the blade. The blade on my Sampson mics at .104 so I was thinking of using 12ga.

The one I designed will be sort of a cross between a Sampson and the Predator Tools Ranger. A little more aggressive and longer than the Sampson, but not as big and bulky as the Ranger.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 893
Last edited:
Hey, looks real nice. Couple of questions for you: Is that just 11 GA mild steel that you used for the blade? Now that you've had a chance to use the shovel for a while, how well is it holding up? Any bending? You mentioned that it was a bit heavy.. Do you think thats due to the thickness of the pipe you used for the handle or the thickness of the blade?

I'm working on a shovel of my own so I'd like to hear your feedback. I know the ones from Predator and Lesche are made from 4130, heat treated and tempered so I'm really curious how well plain old mild steel will hold up after some heavy use. I'd like to make mine as light as possible while still being durable so still debating on what thickness to use for the blade. The blade on my Sampson mics at .104 so I was thinking of using 12ga.

The one I designed will be sort of a cross between a Sampson and the Predator Tools Ranger. A little more aggressive and longer than the Sampson, but not as big and bulky as the Ranger.

Thanks!

Thanks rattlehead. Mine, the one with the single serration has been getting plenty of heavy use with the MD, in the garden, and even used it to chop down a couple saplings like an axe. Not even the slightest sign of bending. It has pried some pretty hefty rocks out with no trouble at all. I did have to sharpen it up a touch once. I did end up using 11 gauge mild steel for the blade and think the extra weight is contributed to the handle ,which is 1" schedule 40 and 33" long, along with the 3/4" solid cold rolled for the gooseneck. The sampson uses 5/8 hollow for the neck and seemed to be the weak point in the design. I'll live with the extra weight. This thing has been a sheer brute. If I was to build another, I would use a blade design similar to yours. That's the beauty of DIY. You get exactly what you want. I hope I could help, and feel free to ask anything else. Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Appreciate the info and glad to hear yours is holding up well! I'm gonna cut out a few next week and then try to find something suitable for the handle. I may just go with 1" schedule 40 as well. Will keep you posted. :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the info and glad to hear yours is holding up well! I'm gonna cut out a few next week and then try to find something suitable for the handle. I may just go with 1" schedule 40 as well. Will keep you posted. :cheers:

It will add a little extra weight, but there is something oddly satisfying about chopping down small trees with your favorite shovel.:D

just one quick question .. did you just weld the handle to the bent rod .. ?

asking cuz and Im no Welder .. seems to me a weak point .. maybe drill a hole in the shaft and weld it there as well .. two points instead of the one ..

just trying to help

Thanks!
I'm starting my shovel mod. Going to use your template, if you don't mind. Starting with a Kbolt steel drain shovel. My dimensions are just a tad different due to the base shovel. Here is the start.
47be7c181cb0fab09d4d97286b2474b2.jpg
dee98b646017bb95552a12fd3d4a2ef7.jpg
c7cbc1d4996a3b871ab4eae4922dade3.jpg
ea67574868b39ffceb8b9f4ffd17cbb2.jpg
8c0b40be54700dbbd2f11fdc99261766.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm starting my shovel mod. Going to use your template, if you don't mind. Starting with a Kbolt steel drain shovel. My dimensions are just a tad different due to the base shovel. Here is the start.

Looks like it’ll be a good one! Let us know how it holds up after some use.

Looks like it’ll be a good one! Let us know how it holds up after some use.

I'll keep the group updated on how the project goes and how well it works.

Kind of a slow day at work today, so I got to work on the shovel. Here are the in process and the finished product pictures.
951cc23a387de36aa920e3dfdc542d63.jpg
058ed68a11ae1c5ffa8afd8039900ccd.jpg
6d2bd4f615035542daabe661b2b484fd.jpg
95a140b7e5dfa7b2ba9ea3870b13edb8.jpg
06caf66869617cda7b9a831e8b1ae8cd.jpg
b96f3f26384f3c1ae0d58fb8829de212.jpg

Back
Top Bottom