New to the hobby and loving' it!

Mirakat

Hello.

I am fairly new to the hobby of detecting and have enjoyed my experiences thus far. My name is Sarah and I live in New Mexico. I am a mother of 4 and my children are enjoying following me in my adventures. They have been introduced to history in a wonderful way with metal detecting and find it very cool. I have taken my detector with me to soccer practice on a field perfect for detecting and I have a little line of ducks following me asking to dig.

I recently found my first big find on my friends property near Mora, NM and they have old foundations from an old homestead. Found some iron parts to something and a wonderful bullet casing that I have been trying to investigate. Long metal shell with UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge Co.) and 40 B on the head. Buried quite deep amongst some rocks on a ledge behind the foundation. Pretty neat for my first real findings besides pennies and bottle caps/tin cans. I have a problem finding places that I can detect locally so this was awesome.

Anyway, hello and glad to be here.

Welcome from NJ. Kids are fun to detect with for sure. I often have kids follow me when I'm detecting a playground. The only problem I have had is that the kids are so excited to dig and find treasure that they don't dig quality plugs or fill them in. That leaves me with the task of putting everything back to look like nobody has been there. Its worth it- the kids love detecting. GL and HH. Matt

So cool! My 2 1/2 toddler loves to dig too! We live at the beach and he has a blast. I will admit, there is more, 'careful around the water. put down that fishing line'. lol. I am teaching him to clean up the mess that others leave behind but sometimes, I have to watch out for his tiny fingers. Have fun!

Hi, Mirakat and welcome from Santa Fe NM. If you're near Santa Fe, I can give you some pointers and help you get started off right.

I'm SageGrouse and I'd love to get together.

SageGrouse

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I hope I am building memories for the young ones with this hobby of mine. At least we are cleaning the dirt if anything. :p I have really enjoyed looking at the other finds and have high hopes.

Welcome from Illinois. Glad to see that you and the kids enjoy the hobby so much. Plenty of old sites here in Illinois if you and the family ever travel this way.

Back
Top Bottom