Gesture to Property owner

louie088

Elite Member
Hi,
I wanted to get something for the elderly couple that lets me detect on there farm. Just something as a token of my appreciation. At this point I'm up there so often they probably think I'm pulling gold coins out of the ground. lol
But I am grateful to have a place like that to detect. I know the Miss's of the house does allot of gardening. I was thinking of getting her a fern maybe? Just looking for ideas. Thanks and HH

if you're finding any great amount of interesting items, but things of no real value to speak of, maybe put together a small display case with some of your digs in it to give to them. :?:
the fern or maybe a hanging plant is also a great idea. i'm sure anything to show your appreciation would be well received. :yes:

if you're finding any great amount of interesting items, but things of no real value to speak of, maybe put together a small display case with some of your digs in it to give to them. :?:
the fern or maybe a hanging plant is also a great idea. i'm sure anything to show your appreciation would be well received. :yes:

thats a good idea. also there an elderly couple, do they have children? do they visit them? you could cook them lunch or dinner.

How about shoveling snow, plowing drive, or in summer time helping with mowing or yard work. I'm sure they would appreciate anything very much. I have given gift cards for dining out and now that gas is cheap a gas card could go a long way. HH Tom

You have some good ideas there Tom. Its awesome they are in there late 70's early 80's and they do there own yard work. Huge lawn too. God bless them! That's probably why they are 80 and still healthy. That and living on a farm.

That is a very nice thing to do for them. Usually anything done without being prompted is always a treat to someone. I commend you for doing this.;);):thumbsup:

That is a very nice thing to do for them. Usually anything done without being prompted is always a treat to someone. I commend you for doing this.;);):thumbsup:

Thank you sir! Ill tell you what though. Its really a special place to spend time detecting. I think farms are beautiful.
And am really grateful they let me, a stranger, wonder around there property all year!
I hear about other peoples hardships trying to gain permissions only to be turned away by the owner, I consider myself very lucky in that aspect.

Another great idea for you to consider. Just spend a couple hours talking to them. I know of people who you could take a million dollars to and they would just be happier with the company. Plus, you will learn a lot from the stories they have.

Mottz, great idea , might just add bring a family member with you to chat .
HH

That would be a good addition. Whats funny about this is when I talk to friends every few weeks I hear the same stories. When I have talked with the wifes Grandparents,( who are in their 90's) for the last 20 years, I could probably count on 1 hand how many times I have heard a repeated story. And most of that talk has leads in it to further one on their hobby.

Well I went with a $40 sheets card and I folder with a nice word doc I made with all the homes history and previous property owner deeds. Dating all the way back to the early 1800's. The lady of the house is more interested in the farm history than her husband. So I know she will enjoy it.
It was quick and sweet as I don't think the old man likes company to much. When I origamaly asked him for permission he was quick to just tell me "have at it"! Just to get me out of his hair. Lol.
So today I just told him I appreciated him giving me permission to detect on his farm and that i would be coming back this spring lol!
He really could care less Hahaha

To all the detectorest out there. Be thankful if you have some good permissions. Cause there's allot of people out there that just don't want to give out permission no matter how nice you are.
These days especially farms are concerned about liability and you also have delusional people who think the have gold on there land?!?
Anyways thanks for reading and HH!

Very nice gesture. If nothing else you've possibly opened the door for another detector down the road.....

I am a beekeeper so I keep a few jars of honey with me at all times and always offer it up in payment.

.....I can tell you as a farm owner myself, i'd probably say no.....

....But then again I have a CW cavalry camp, an extinct pre-CW town and a paleo Indian village on my propery. :D

Very nice gesture. If nothing else you've possibly opened the door for another detector down the road.....

I am a beekeeper so I keep a few jars of honey with me at all times and always offer it up in payment.

.....I can tell you as a farm owner myself, i'd probably say no.....

....But then again I have a CW cavalry camp, an extinct pre-CW town and a paleo Indian village on my propery. :D

Very cool!!
The Farm property Im hunting has about a one mile stretch of Braddock's old Road that runs through it ca.1755. I also verified that from a late 1700's tax map of the area.
Lots of colonial relics so far. But than again the farm i really huge, and has a few remnants of really old dwellings from the 1700's. So I still have a lot of land to cover, and corn fields.
It really is a great spot. Thats why Im so grateful to be able to hunt there.

Also very cool you own a farm!

Thank you sir! Ill tell you what though. Its really a special place to spend time detecting. I think farms are beautiful.
And am really grateful they let me, a stranger, wonder around there property all year!
I hear about other peoples hardships trying to gain permissions only to be turned away by the owner, I consider myself very lucky in that aspect.

I want to check out a few farms this year in my area. There are many around and hope I get as lucky with permissions. Have always liked finding cool farm stuff. Didn't have much for wars in the northwest, so mostly coins and cellar finds. Maybe a ghost town or to.

I smell a group hunt :cool: Pleeeeeeezeeeee:D

Lol. Truth be told I've pounded the !!!! out of each site. It still produces quite a few targets (I just dug a OVM bit boss over the weekend) but none are easy.

I still get silver that surprisingly bangs my detectors when the ground is moist but hides out when it's dry. Haven't found an 1800's coin in a year. Getting to be slim pickens.

Also if you've never hunted a farm that's been in operation for nearly 200 years, imagine a 50 acre schoolyard minus the clad. Iron every foot and more....It's about time to start clearing the iron from about a dozen nailridden building sites....

....but it beats living in a condo. I haven't seen more than 5 moving cars at one time in a month.

:yes:

If it was my yard and you were thinking of offering a nice present as a token of appreciation,,I suggest a bottle of Jack and a pair of ear plugs for me and no sharp items for my wife..lol..:laughing: PS..by the looks of my avatar, BIG earplugs please!!

Back
Top Bottom