I love it when a plan comes together!

choppadude

Forum Supporter
I was surfing ebay last week and saw a Garrett Grand master hunter CX for $130 Buy it Now. Detector did not work and the P:awn shop selling it did not know what was wrong.
I have always liked to try to fix things and over the years have become quite adept at trouble shooting electrical circuits and such.
I usually go with my gut and felt it was worth the chance so I bought it.
I had some time this morning so I put fresh batteries in the battery holder and got absolutely nothing. I then removed the battery holder and connected my multi tester to the contact surfaces, you guessed it, where there should have been 9 volts, there was none. I then took out a 6 cell battery holder I had on hand and with the use of some alligator clips I attached it to the contacts of the detector VIOLA! We have power!
Detector came to life and I ran it through the paces. Having owned several CX models over the years I know what they are suppose to do and this one did it all!
So I just talked to Garrett and will have a new battery holder in this week and ready to burn up the turf when the deep freeze leaves us in a couple months. I am sure it won't be used as much as my AT Pros but a great back up detector and a good loaner for when a friend comes along.
So sometimes you just have to roll the dice and see what happens!

It's always great when YOU win!

I once paid .50 for a boom box radio because it had been returned to Sears by a customer who said it just did not work on the cassette dubbing function. (Yes, I said cassette, it was that long ago. :laughing:) I took it out to my car and as luck would have it the customer left batteries in it. I flipped a couple of toggle switches into various position combinations and BAM! Worked perfectly! Did I mention it was $199 retail value? :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom