BH Tracker IV

Alchemy

Hey guys, new to the forums here, well as far as posting goes, been reading for a while. I finally decided to join up when I got my Tracker and made my first find...which happened to be the greatest pull-tab ever! I say greatest because it was my very first find ever, lol. But the next day I managed four clad pennies and a relatively brand new boxcutter lol.

Anyhow, I have a few questions and was hoping that some of the more experienced fellas here could help. I tried to setup my Tracker like the manual says for tone mode, Sensitivity at 3:00 and Disc at about 2:00 but I find that aluminum cans ring out just as solid as say clad coins...is this right? What do you Tracker users suggest? Also, how should I be reading what i assume is the intensity gauge?

Well, thats all I got, thanks in advance for any advice.

don't pay any attention to the meter. Raising the coil as you swing will tell you if it is canslaw. If you still get a signal after raising it about 6 inches it is probably junk. Solid signal when the coil is close to the ground is probably a good find, but not always ;)

Started with the tracker 4 and absolutely loved it. Great starter machine. Aluminum rings out loud and clear and sounds similar to coins, but it can do that on every machine. You will have to dig a bunch to learn the difference. Raising your coil as suggested earlier is a great tip.

When I used it, I cranked the sensitivity and kept disc at about 10 o clock. dug lots of great stuff with that machine including a seated dime and seated half dime, 29 Indians and many other goodies. Almost everything in this album was dug with the tracker 4
http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=1991
It takes time to learn it, so I would suggest many many hours to get the little subtle things.

Good luck, If I can be any help, PM me.

a nice way to tell if it's possible junk or not turn 90 degrees and sweep again. if the tone changes chances are it's junk. Keep the disc around 10-9:30 as stated prior post swing in all metal till you find something and switch over to tone. It'll help. The meter is completely useless. I've tried to figure out if it actually serves a real purpose or not by measuring voltage applied to it and just can't see any point to it.

Just remember, you're only going to get about 6 inches in depth with that thing on good targets. Cans and junk bigger than a quarter will still be giving a signal over 6 inches. The raise your detector is a good trick to learn, try to learn how far 6 inches is above the ground. Practice digging 6 inch plugs, that's pretty much a win win when getting targets. Always dig those things that sound like pull tabs, which you will dig lots of those, because it could be gold. Took me about a month after getting my bh4 to finally hit gold.

Good luck! Practice practice practice! Do tests to learn the sounds and swing slow.

Someone on here made a custom printout for the detector, with color dots for various settings. Try doing a search, its here somewhere.

Awesome info guys, thanks so much, since it's a nice day I think I'll take my new found information and go hunt the local totlot/baseball diamond and see if I have better luck than my first official hunt lol.

That's an awesome custom faceplate too. I was thinking of using a dremel and etching a design into the circuit housing but don't know if it would damage anything as long as I went easy with it. I do however have a lot of little Super Mario Bros. gold coin stickers from a recent Burger King toy line, I'll slap some of them on the faceplate for good luck :).

Back
Top Bottom