1846 Schoolhouse/Chapel Finds 09/09/12 Lock Bell Headstamps

ga5150

Elite Member
Met up with 0351usmc today and we hit an 1846 schoolhouse/church which also housed Civil War soldiers during the war. There wasn't too much area to cover since a large part of the grounds are a cemetery. We were pretty much stuck to the immediate sides of the building and the front lawn area.

We both dug some random trash and my second target was the bullet which I'm guessing is Civil War era. We both dug quite a bit of 30-06 shell casings which we're pretty sure were used for ceremony salutes using blanks. One unfired blank was found and it was not 30-06.

A friend of mine stopped by and was able to dig up this old Miller Co. Champion 6 Lever lock. It was nearly a foot down and gave a dime signal on my MXT.

0351usmc found this cool little bell right before we left. It's bent up, but we could make out the numbers on the side. It turns out that it's a sleigh bell with a date of 1878. Once I got it home and started rinsing it off, I found the little bell "dinger" was still on the inside. It's not attached, but was just rattling around in there, trapped by all the dirt.

It was a cool place, but seems to have been hit before, since the only coins found were a couple of zinc pennies that were fairly shallow. Still beats workin' any day!

Rodney

090912A.jpg

090912B.jpg

090912C.jpg

Champion 6-Lever lock made by Miller Lock Co. Philadelphia, PA. 1875-1925
Sleigh bell with stamped date of May 14, 1878

TURTLEFOOT ALERT: The Winchester Ranger has what appears to be a thick paper packing material on the inside of the brass and extends out about 1/4". The other is stamped Winchester Blue Rival. If my quick online lookup is accurate, then the Blue Rival was made from 1894-1904, and the Ranger was made from 1938-1972 (since it say's Made In USA on it).

090912F.jpg

Back views

Nice!

It looks like the item you called a clamp is most likely a barrel band for a civil war period musket. Just Google it and you'll get a better idea.

Also dug yourself a fired .58 caliber Minie Ball for a civil war period musket.

Getting really close there. Nice finds and good luck.

John

Nice Hunt

Champion 6 Lever Lock cool stuff and thanx for the research. It is always neat to know where, when something was made. Good work. Regards, Mike

Hi John,

Thank you for the information. I would have never known about the barrel band unless you had told me. I looked them up and it sure seems to match what those bands look like, and the location of the find would coincide as well.

How can you tell it's a .58 caliber? I have found another miniball not far from this location, but it is quite a bit larger in size. It's bigger around and the bottom is "hollowed" out.

Thanks!

Rodney

It looks like the item you called a clamp is most likely a barrel band for a civil war period musket. Just Google it and you'll get a better idea.

Also dug yourself a fired .58 caliber Minie Ball for a civil war period musket.

Getting really close there. Nice finds and good luck.

John

Back
Top Bottom