Mexican CACHE... Coin purse, a bottle and bullets!

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Working on the video of the hunt right now! I just kept the video rolling most of the time.

Okay, I can't express in text really just how much I love my secret spot. At least, it's secret to metal detectorists, but obviously not to people with 4x4's, RTVs, guns, and fisherman... but no one have I seen down there with a metal detector, no one with a shovel really. I will let the video speak for itself.

Here's the deal... I am soaking my coins right now, they're all looking like Mexican Pesos, oldest one so far was 1926 to 1960's. I haven't gotten dates or types yet off of them, but before I do the research I am trying to cut this video down. Need to know if anyone is familiar with the mexican pesos before I start posting about something I know nothing about! Shoot me a PM if you don't mind!! I don't know if these are silver, or what.

More to come!! Stay tuned.....

Working on it, may be a several part video. Just the discovery was almost 20 minutes long for those who enjoy FULL disclosure videos. lol

Just did the clean up video, before posting that I am trying to get more info on the coins.

Wait, did you find a silver cache in the same spot? Or am I thinking of another person? :wow:

Huge congrats! Can't wait to see the video!

BTW.... maybe it's just me thinking there was some magic behind it rather than luck, but is there a meaning to having a old metal can nailed to a tree? For instance, I know that they used to put old bottles on branches to mark their way through the woods and trails. Similar to blazing a tree, but do they do that with cans?

The tree had a can hanging off of it, and I am wondering if that is some sort of indicator, I have seen it on other trees in different areas but never was there to detect around them.

is there a meaning to having a old metal can nailed to a tree? For instance, I know that they used to put old bottles on branches to mark their way through the woods and trails. Similar to blazing a tree, but do they do that with cans?

The tree had a can hanging off of it, and I am wondering if that is some sort of indicator, I have seen it on other trees in different areas but never was there to detect around them.

I gotta believe it was marking the location of that buried coin purse. Possibly stolen. Is this area a possible route for people coming from across the border?

Cool find!

Papa

I don't live where anyone would be crossing the border or anything, but that is not to say they didn't jump the trains that DID go through San Antonio and possibly south to Laredo and what not back in the day. The coins range from 1926 to 1968. I am trying to get the coin video up now.

Wife just got home with honey dos lol and to talk about HER metal detecting trip at her moms property. That may be my next adventure. She was shocked when I told her about the can on the tree. She found an OLD tree near an old homesite on her moms property that had a door knob nailed to it! She said she was getting an 88 signal just under that tree but was unable to get to it because it was buried under several large roots and lacked a shovel and hatchet. But she marked the location, so :shock: could be more treasure in the future!

Stay tuned....

Ok, I just tossed that out there because you put Gulf Coast, TX and that can be near our neighbors to the south.

I don't know what you are shooting with, but if you can chest mount it, you'll not have as much movement as with a head mounted cam.

Thanks for sharing. I just wish you could find a way to get the detector's audio into the audio mix. Would be more educational for us novices.

Papa

I gotta believe it was marking the location of that buried coin purse. Possibly stolen.
:roll:

Possibly fell out of an airplane
Possibly buried by kids
Possibly a hobo stash
Possibly fell out of a hikers pocket while taking a nap
Possibly lots of possibilities......

Ok, I just tossed that out there because you put Gulf Coast, TX and that can be near our neighbors to the south.

I don't know what you are shooting with, but if you can chest mount it, you'll not have as much movement as with a head mounted cam.

Thanks for sharing. I just wish you could find a way to get the detector's audio into the audio mix. Would be more educational for us novices.

Papa

Sorry, believe it or not that IS a chest mount camera. I am trying to save up for a better camera. The camera I am using is a Kodak Playsport on a GoPro Chesty harness. :(

Waiting for the NEW GoPro's to come out at the end of summer, it will have a much wider degree lens and won't seem like everything's going so fast and will pick up more of what's going on. Without being able to view the LCD screen on this camera, I couldn't see what it was shooting. Think I dropped a couple of 's' words in the video because I kept having to adjust it. :no:

Sorry, believe it or not that IS a chest mount camera. I am trying to save up for a better camera. The camera I am using is a Kodak Playsport on a GoPro Chesty harness. :(

Waiting for the NEW GoPro's to come out at the end of summer, it will have a much wider degree lens and won't seem like everything's going so fast and will pick up more of what's going on. Without being able to view the LCD screen on this camera, I couldn't see what it was shooting. Think I dropped a couple of 's' words in the video because I kept having to adjust it. :no:

Oh, okay. Hehe. Thought it was head mounted. I hate having too wide a FOV because of the barrel distortion. Although there is software out that will help correct that.

Good luck,

Papa

SILVER AND GOLD!

That's right! Some already got the sneak peek via PM, but here's the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zouRvzGwv40

For those who are asking about where I hunt, the extra videos of the area, will be up later; maybe tomorrow or next week. Just kind of a walk through the woods, river and beach in those videos.

That was an amazing find! I never would have found it, I won't go anywhere near poison ivy, and that place was just full of it! Man, I hope you don't get it bad, I would, I'm highly allergic to the stuff.

Uh, regarding the silver, DON'T DIP IT! Man, coin collectors HATE it when people clean coins! Those might be worth sending in for grading and slabbing. If you can't get info on the web about them, look into getting one or more of the Krause books on World Coins. You can order direct from Krause, or from numismatic supply companies.

I guess I don't need to wish you HH & GL! :laughing:

I haven't cleaned them, I had gotten quite a bit of response regarding them being silver, the percentages range from like 40-90% so far. Kind of hard to get a date on some of them due to the condition.

Guessing soap and water is the only way to go.

Wow!!!! That's a super sweet find. I can only dream of finding something like that.

Back
Top Bottom