What is the best "land" detector for gold jewelry and rings?

Mtnmn

Elite Member
Most of the sites in the two county area I search for clad and silver are beginning to get pretty cleaned out. As a result I am thinking about doing more searching for gold jewelry and rings as time goes on. What is generally acknowledged to be the best "land" detector for that purpose (finding gold jewelry and rings)? Would my XT-70 with its 6" high frequency DD coil or a 5"x10" HF DD coil be about as good as anything out there?

Any top end machine that you are already good with will be an excellent choice. The high frequency really helps with gold and chains.

Believe it or not the little $160.65 Tesoro Compadre is probably the best jewelry hunter know to man woman and beast.

Attachments

• Tesoro Compadre 1.jpg
    Tesoro Compadre 1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,745
Would my XT-70 with its 6" high frequency DD coil or a 5"x10" HF DD coil be about as good as anything out there?
Yep! It sure would!
The smaller a target that you're looking for, the smaller the coil should be used to find it. If depth is a factor, then a larger coil is called for.

And FWIW, Coiltek just released a new 15" HF DD WOT yesterday. Prices should be announced by U.S. dealers shortly.

Another thing....I'll bet that there are far more Xterras in the gold fields than Compadres....for a reason.

Yep! It sure would!
The smaller a target that you're looking for, the smaller the coil should be used to find it. If depth is a factor, then a larger coil is called for.

And FWIW, Coiltek just released a new 15" HF DD WOT yesterday. Prices should be announced by U.S. dealers shortly.

Another thing....I'll bet that there are far more Xterras in the gold fields than Compadres....for a reason.
I bet there are more Tesoro Lobo's and high priced Minelab GPX's in the gold fields than the Xterra's and Compadre's combined.

I also gave up on the silver coin, I'm primarily a jewelery hunter now

but plan on diggin ALL the pull tabs you can possible imagine

depends on mineralization, on normal soils the compadre is to consider

I also gave up on the silver coin, I'm primarily a jewelery hunter now

but plan on diggin ALL the pull tabs you can possible imagine

I hear you! I would rather scoop 1 gold item a month than 10 silver coins a week.

Seems like everyone forgets all about the DFX these days. Dual frequencies, tweakable to the high heavens and many good books specifically written on the subject of finding gold jewelry. Not to mention great prices on used machines.

Seems like everyone forgets all about the DFX these days. Dual frequencies, tweakable to the high heavens and many good books specifically written on the subject of finding gold jewelry. Not to mention great prices on used machines.
Since the OP already has a 2.9lb XT-70 that takes 4-AA batteries and can run any of three frequencies, why would he be interested in a 4lb machine that takes 8-AA batteries and can only run two frequencies?
Just curious.

I had an Xterra a couple years back and found the HF coil great for hitting jewelry. I have never used a DFX but for some reason it always comes to mind in the "best" jewelry hunting machine. Maybe it is all the books? Maybe it is the guy on the commercial who's wife is proud of him because he found the diamond ring (and just look at the weight he lost)? Just thought I would throw it into the mix... You're right, the DFX is a boat anchor. I change my vote to Deus for best jewelry machine. Never used one of those either.

I had an Xterra a couple years back and found the HF coil great for hitting jewelry. I have never used a DFX but for some reason it always comes to mind in the "best" jewelry hunting machine. Maybe it is all the books? Maybe it is the guy on the commercial who's wife is proud of him because he found the diamond ring (and just look at the weight he lost)? Just thought I would throw it into the mix... You're right, the DFX is a boat anchor. I change my vote to Deus for best jewelry machine. Never used one of those either.

The bad thing against the xp deus being that.....ITS MADE IN FRANCE!.

BUY AMERICAN..I'M ENGLISH AND I ALWAYS BUY AMERICAN WHEN I CAN!

I see I'm not the only one here, White's are good machines, but too heavy-weighted.
I almost sure this is the path they will take on the following years

Man,don't tell everybody my secret about a DFX's attraction to gold! I bought two DFX's.Only problem is i can't swing two at a time.Not too heavy for me.But i can swing a shaft mounted sov gt all day long.Anybody want to arm wrestle for gold?:laughing:

Man,don't tell everybody my secret about a DFX's attraction to gold! I bought two DFX's.Only problem is i can't swing two at a time.Not too heavy for me.But i can swing a shaft mounted sov gt all day long.Anybody want to arm wrestle for gold?:laughing:

What coil do you prefer for seeking gold? You can PM me the answer if you don't want to let the secret out. :shock:

The main reason the DFX is such a wonderful machine on gold jewelry is very simple. I've owned 2 and know many others with them. The reason is the DC Phase option in the settings. What this provides is a RAW 15Khz VDI response on your pinpointing side. So the basic principal is that if you run the machine in dual frequency or in 15Khz only and run with VDI normalization on, it will adjust the VDI response to that of a 6.59Khz machine (which most White's machines were prior to the DFX). For example, a Nickel will ring around a 21 with normalization on, and the DC phase should reflect roughly the same VDI or off by a few numbers... A piece of canslaw or foil however will ring low at say a 7 or an 11 or what have you, the DC Phase will show it as a high 20's up to 40's. Gold on the other hand may sound or read low like the foil, but will respond much like a nickel in the DC phase with very little movement in the VDI. I hit a 14K pendant that rang a 14 normalized, switched to DC phase pinpoint and it read a 16. Foil close by read a 9 but DC phased at a 23. The gap was far too large to be gold. That is what is explained in all those books you read...

VDI Normalized and DC phase close together (within 1-5 points)= high probability of gold

Far apart (say 8-30 points) most likely trash...

Back
Top Bottom