1-23 Newport Beach hunt report

mike_i

I went to Newport Beach today to see how things looked since it's rained for a week and there were some massive waves hitting the beach. There were 6 other people MD'ing, it's the first time I've seen another MD'er since I started this new hobby 3 months ago. I talked to one guy that said he got several coins and a ring. I noticed the other people were doing a lot of digging and some were putting their goodies in their pouch but I have no idea what they were getting. I was amazed to see what looked like a lot of people in a small area finding stuff. I managed $2.55 in clad and several pieces of jewelry. I'm going to try another area tomorrow.

Mike

Attachments

• Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 688
Saaaweeet! I took one look at Newport this morning around lifeguard station 71... looked like armageddon with all the trash that washed up. Opted for Huntington. Nice torquoise pendant..:yes: Is the ring Silver?? Huntington had a lot of MD'ers as well. Good luck to you tomorrow.

BV

You had a good day.
I was at hunington a little after 6AM but my better half was tired and wanted to leave. 4 bucks and a silver earing, she did 3 and a set of keys.
You guys dont forget to check the kelp patties. Ive found casio and other watches and necklaces tangled up in them. the patties tend to pick up things as they roll in.

Good Luck.

mike i, Congratulations on your hunt, you are off to a great start! I and my friend were probably 2 of the people you saw today- we were there between 8 and 12. I spoke to another guy who had a detector like mine and he was
digging a lot but said that he didn't find any jewelry :roll:. I had a great day to cap off a great week, posting my report soon. HH!

mike i, I was just looking at your picture again. That coin in the top right corner almost looks like it could be silver. Silver that has been in seawater for a while turns sort of a dark purple/gray color. HH!

wbwarnerb, yes I use a scoop I'll attach a picture. It was given to me for free so I use it. There may be better ones out there but I couldn't pass up free.

Thanks for all the congratulations guys. There was nothing special about any of the coins I've found so far, just your basic clad. I'm not sure what the ring is made of. Maybe one of these days when I get a handful of stuff I'll take them somewhere to find out how good my stash is. As far as checking out the kelp on the beach I always check out the trash very closely, you never know what gets caught up in it but so far nothing. Hopefully I'll find a fishing lure in the kelp. I've lost many in the offshore kelp paddies.

Compass, if you remember seeing a guy with the pictured yellow scoop that was me. It's probably safe to say my scoop sticks out. If you were in the same area as I was did you happen to see the life guard boat just outside the surf line? They picked up a surfer after someone saw him floating near his board. Later that evening I heard the 38 year old guy died. I noticed his board was broken in at least 3 pieces, sad stuff.

Mike

Attachments

• ATT00167.jpg
    ATT00167.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 423
wbwarnerb, yes I use a scoop I'll attach a picture. It was given to me for free so I use it. There may be better ones out there but I couldn't pass up free.

Thanks for all the congratulations guys. There was nothing special about any of the coins I've found so far, just your basic clad. I'm not sure what the ring is made of. Maybe one of these days when I get a handful of stuff I'll take them somewhere to find out how good my stash is. As far as checking out the kelp on the beach I always check out the trash very closely, you never know what gets caught up in it but so far nothing. Hopefully I'll find a fishing lure in the kelp. I've lost many in the offshore kelp paddies.

Compass, if you remember seeing a guy with the pictured yellow scoop that was me. It's probably safe to say my scoop sticks out. If you were in the same area as I was did you happen to see the life guard boat just outside the surf line? They picked up a surfer after someone saw him floating near his board. Later that evening I heard the 38 year old guy died. I noticed his board was broken in at least 3 pieces, sad stuff.

Mike
Mike, We were north of the accident and didn't hear about the surfer until later. The surf was still pretty violent that day. I'll keep a look out for that yellow scoop when I'm detecting. I've got a long handled SS scoop with 2 red grips and a Surf PI Pro (yellow headphones). HH!

Back
Top Bottom