Trying to figure it out in Colorado newbie

Nash

Hi all,
I have been wanting to get into this hobby for a long time now. Trying to do my research on a detector, that took me down a rabbit hole:?: I was looking at the AT max... then I found this forum, now I am looking at the equinox 800. I am leaning towards the 800 as of now. After I get a detector then I would like to find some people around the Denver area. That’s my story:D

Research is important on purchases like a first detector. Problem is that rabbit hole! It goes deep and wide! Once you do get a machine, take time to learn it, and when you get sick of the darn thing's antics, you will likely find other posts about that somewhere on this site. Feel free to vent about detecting issues. It's how we learn and evolve. GL & HH!

Welcome from Michigan!! My first machine and only one is an equinox 600. I’m so happy I chose an equinox as my first machine and would surely recommend it!!

If you have never detected before I would start with something cheaper until you decide whether you like detecting. If it isn't for you, you will never get back the full price that you paid for your detector. There are plenty of lesser priced detectors that work well and can always be used as a backup if you decide later you want something better. It's a great hobby but some find that they don't have the time or something else that keeps them from detecting. I have been detecting for around forty years and I love it but I see too many detectors that end up in a closet or sold at garage sales. I know a lot will disagree with me and tell you to buy the best that you can afford but that's just my opinion. Not many share my views anyway.

Machine choice is a very small part of the equation, and I can tell you the largest part too....LOCATION. Welcome to the forum!

While I don't think much of any of the clubs I have ever visited (too much infighting and 'im the best'), you might want to visit one near you and see if someone would let you give his detector a swing. I bet they'd be a lot of folks helping you there. If you have a dealer nearby, that would be even better. Also rem that listed price ISNT what you will pay. Talk to the smaller sponsors here and they will tell you what they can Really sell one for.

Whichever machine you get, study the manual and/or any books about that machine and above all BELIEVE what your machine is telling you. The machine doesn't lie- its just up to you to learn how to interpret what it is saying.

Good Luck and Welcome to the hobby!

Thanks to all,
There is much to learn grasshopper. From all the reading of what you guys post I know if I run into problems the expertises and the wealth of knowledge here makes jumping in to the hobbie learning curve not that bad.

I Understand starting with a lower priced detector in case this is not your cup of tea. I am finally at a point in my life where I have the time to pursue the hobbie. I just don’t want to purchase a machine then regretting not getting the better model for a bit more.

This is good news that what is on the sites for the cost can be different when you call the sponsors from this site.

Thanks again

Thanks to all,
There is much to learn grasshopper. From all the reading of what you guys post I know if I run into problems the expertises and the wealth of knowledge here makes jumping in to the hobbie learning curve not that bad.

I Understand starting with a lower priced detector in case this is not your cup of tea. I am finally at a point in my life where I have the time to pursue the hobbie. I just don’t want to purchase a machine then regretting not getting the better model for a bit more.

This is good news that what is on the sites for the cost can be different when you call the sponsors from this site.

Thanks again

The 800 is a very good machine and I don't think you can go wrong with it. All I would say about it, is that if you KNOW you will never go nugget hunting, you should consider the Eq 600. fwiw, my plan is to get a 800 for my wife to swing and as a backup to my CTX.

I second Kin Tn's comments. It appears that you might be in area where you might decide that you might want to try prospecting. The 800 would be the best bet for that in its price range.

Tonight I jumped in the deep end😄 I ended up getting the nox 800 and the Garrett pointer from Jeff at Qualitymetaldetectors.net he gave me a package deal which I could not resist. Great guy to deal with. I am glad I found this site. Thanks for all the help so far I know I will be asking a lot of noob questions. I will do my research first before asking.

Yes where I go for walks there are people gold panning.
Again thanks to all for the great information 😁

George

Back
Top Bottom