Equinox 600 (baby steps)

ZR2guy

Elite Member
Hello all. I recently purchased an Equinox 600 (shout out to Bart-a Big thanks). Anyway, I finally took it out for the first time to a local school/Park/tot lot that I have used over the last few years as a testing ground for any new detector I have bought for the detector’s first run. I have already updated this unit.
My last MD was a White’s MX Sport so this Equinox multi-frequency technology is a new thing to learn. I used the suggested Park 1 mode and set the sensitivity at 22, proceeded to noise cancel and finally, auto-ground balanced the detector. My first signal was a solid 13 in all directions. I pulled a plug and down about 5”-6” was a nickel. Now I have used some really good mid-level detectors through the years and used them in this park; I can honestly say that I was impressed with the TID stability on a nickel at this depth; not that it found a nickel mind you but that the TID locked on 13.
Later in my hunt I had what was a solid 13 at first but then moving around and X-ing over the target, the TID quickly jumped 13-14-13-14 but very fast. I pulled that plug and down 6”-7” was a pull tab. Again, I was impressed because that little flutter of 13-14-13 was telling me something.
I was only out for about 2 hours and the EQ 600 hit dimes easily at 7”-8” and nailed a quarter at approximately 10”. So far I am happy but realize I have a lot to learn yet. The future does look pretty bright right now though.:yes:

Congrats on your purchase.

Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Thanks. Sad part is that I have had the unit since September 4th, just finally able to take it out. At least the weather should be perfect for hunting here in Ohio until about the middle-end of November. After that I may get a day or two here and there until the ground finally freezes solid.

Hello all. I recently purchased an Equinox 600 (shout out to Bart-a Big thanks). Anyway, I finally took it out for the first time to a local school/Park/tot lot that I have used over the last few years as a testing ground for any new detector I have bought for the detector’s first run. I have already updated this unit.
My last MD was a White’s MX Sport so this Equinox multi-frequency technology is a new thing to learn. I used the suggested Park 1 mode and set the sensitivity at 22, proceeded to noise cancel and finally, auto-ground balanced the detector. My first signal was a solid 13 in all directions. I pulled a plug and down about 5”-6” was a nickel. Now I have used some really good mid-level detectors through the years and used them in this park; I can honestly say that I was impressed with the TID stability on a nickel at this depth; not that it found a nickel mind you but that the TID locked on 13.
Later in my hunt I had what was a solid 13 at first but then moving around and X-ing over the target, the TID quickly jumped 13-14-13-14 but very fast. I pulled that plug and down 6”-7” was a pull tab. Again, I was impressed because that little flutter of 13-14-13 was telling me something.
I was only out for about 2 hours and the EQ 600 hit dimes easily at 7”-8” and nailed a quarter at approximately 10”. So far I am happy but realize I have a lot to learn yet. The future does look pretty bright right now though.:yes:

Your futures so bright your gonna wear shades!

Congrats on your purchase of the Nox 600. It's a good machine and the more you use it, the better you'll understand what it's telling you. I have both the 600 and the 800. I just hunted this morning with my 800 and the 6" coil. Pulled a good take of clads for the short period I hunted, $ 6.11 all clads.
GL & HH.

Congrats on finally getting out

If I can offer another piece of advice that has helped me TREMENDOUSLY is that when you get the nickel and pull tab numbers it is often a bottle cap.. someone here pointed out (I think tnsharpshooter) that if you change the frequency to 10 or 15 and recheck it, if it is a bottle cap then the TID will jump into the 20's .. so far for me this has been 100% true for me, as I have dug them to test. On the other hand Corona Caps and Bud caps are a wee bit different as they come across sounding like a beautiful dime most of the time.

I love this trick !!

Thanks. Sad part is that I have had the unit since September 4th, just finally able to take it out. At least the weather should be perfect for hunting here in Ohio until about the middle-end of November. After that I may get a day or two here and there until the ground finally freezes solid.

Don't feel too bad...I got mine at the end of July and haven't taken it out yet. Been waiting for fall to get here. That's when my Civil War relic hunting season starts. I hunt mostly in the woods so the ground isn't too bad when it freezes. Congrats on the finds!

Back
Top Bottom