Windows and Equinox updates

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I know this might normally be off topic, but now Nox users need a computer to update their detector firmware so this is relevant.

You should have the latest version of Mac O/S or Windows O/S installed on your computer. I know that may be a painful solution to those with older computers and legacy software. This was me 2-3 years ago. I am a long time developer of software running under Windows.

I can't say much about the mac since I am a windows guy. Here is my take on windows from may years of experience.

Every windows operating system up to Windows XP sucked. Main reason Microsoft just added software layers to MS-DOS (a very good OS) to create windows. So you were running MS-dos and on top of it like an application running windows. From windows 1.01 it was just chewing gum and bailing wire method of creating a new OS. They finally got it right with Windows XP.

But no, they could not leave well enough alone and came out with Windows Vista (to make windows more Mac Like). it sucked big time. Changed the look and feel and everyone was totally lost on trying to find anything remotely familiar on the desktop.

tried to fix with windows 7 - but no cigar.
same with windows 8
MS gave freaking up on windows 9 I guess.

They finally got it right with windows 10 and have since pretty much left windows 10 alone in terms of major screwups. Also they got rid of steve ballmer who was running MS during all these screwed up OS releases. He had no background at all with computers or software. His claim to fame was marketing and was Bill Gate's college roommate. How about that for job qualifications.

So guys, if you are going to own a computer that you can update your Nox get the latest version of your operating system and your update problems will go away. I know it can be painful to convert to the latest version of your OS. I was there 2-3 years ago and it took me weeks to reinstall all my legacy software. Some apps I never could reinstall since the software developers of my legacy software quit supporting it. It all sucked and cost me lots of time and money. But I use my computer for my business so I had to do so.

Good luck

Sounds like good advice. My problem wasn’t the version of windows but the web browser I used. The download does not like Opera and I have heard Safari doesn’t work either. As soon as I changed browsers the download went smoothly. I run Windows 10 machines. Opera has worked fine for my Deus updates and is the browser I use the most followed by Vivaldi.

Too bad they didn't offer a Linux install, as then OS / browser version problems would have been pretty much been made irrelevant, for those users.
But I'll go one further: Too bad the machine itself had no implementation of having built in network capabilities, with its own built in program to update itself.

Well as a 35 year programmer and a MSV (Microsoft Independent Vendor) for 20 years I can say it's good for most people to keep their OS updated but there are exceptions.

I'll admit I prefer Windows 7 to what's out there right now. Yes 10 seems OK but there are still a lot of apps that don't like Windows 10. Totally agree on XP, Vista and 8. XP was good the rest were !!!!.

I run 5 computers at all times at home. A Windows XP, a Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 and one for my surveillance system. My problem is as the Network administrator at the local hospital I alone supply support for all our Physicians, Administrators, Employees and Vendors. That means I could have a doctor call me with problems getting connected to the hospital and he's using XP, 7, 8, 10 or, heaven help me, Apple. So I've got to open whatever OS they are using so I can talk them thru what they're seeing.

I chose 7 as my main OS because it is good and fast, reliable and works with most apps I run across. Unfortunately. it wouldn't work to update my EQ 800. I loaded it on the Windows 10 PC and it updated just fine.

Been building and fixing/optimizing machines since 3.1 and rarely heard complaints about 7...still preferred by lots of high end users (gamers specifically). 10 has finally pushed myself and lots of others to abandon Windows completely and just stick with Linux. The unprecedented spyware introduced by Microsoft in the newest version is unacceptable.

Finally get settings at least close to having control of your machine? A new update that you can no longer refuse will be out soon to reset everything for you... without your permission of course. Don't want a Lock screen on your desktop? Too bad, unless you want to do a ton of monkeying around editing the registry... same deal with the uber-invasive "Cortana". Try shutting that clunky thing COMPLETELY down to save resources...

I keep a 10 install on a machine for those occasions when there's no other way, (thank Minelab for taking the easy way, for them), but the days of being able to set up an up to date Windows install to meet my personal usage and running it daily are long gone.

Windows 7 user here. I still don’t understand all the problems folks had with just going to XP compatibility mode :roll:. I had an extra step; I downloaded the update to a thumb drive at work, brought it home then opened it in compatibility mode, installed it on my EQ600. Only took 5 mins once I plugged the thumb drive in.
Longest part was the laptop at home installing the driver for the thumb drive.:lol:

I don't stink it was any big deal other than most felt Minelab should have tested a bit more and they would have fixed the Windows 7 issue, or at least added the "extra step" to use compatibility mode in the setup directions.

In any case I'm happy. Patch in is and works great! Can't say I've noticed any better TID, but I can say I feel like the sound is a bit crisper.

I don't stink it was any big deal other than most felt Minelab should have tested a bit more and they would have fixed the Windows 7 issue, or at least added the "extra step" to use compatibility mode in the setup directions.

In any case I'm happy. Patch in is and works great! Can't say I've noticed any better TID, but I can say I feel like the sound is a bit crisper.
Good to know that you don’t stink. I think I smell pretty good myself.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom