Fisher F2 Low Sensitivity - Losing Depth? Missing Targets?

coiltime

The only way I can detect with my new fisher f2 is with the sensitive set on 1 or 2 only.

Anything else and it sounds like an electronic game of ping pong, it never stops falsing or just goes crazy bouncing around signals, even if i raise it in the air it keeps beeping for a few seconds. I should video it, it's ridiculous. they should show an "overload error" instead of having the user think their detector was just possessed, not user friendly imho, anyhoo

What is the sensitivity? The manual and threads here say to raise it or lower it but what does it do?

Am I missing targets and losing depth by running on 1 or 2 sensitivity? by alot or don't worry about it?

i'm in fields, in kentucky, happens with discriminate or not,no powerlines or utilities. checked the battery install, coil connection, coil wrap around shaft, etc.

It is defective. I can run my F2 standing under powerlines and not get any interference.

I don't even turn sensitivity down in playgrounds next to equipment. If yours chatters, even in the air, then something is loose on the coil wire connection...your batteries are loose (some batteries are smaller than others) or you've gotten it wet somehow inside from sweat or something.

Send it back for repairs, it should not act like that at all.

Agree with all that.

First thing to do is call 1st Texas, Fisher division and talk to them.
There is a guy named Felix there that might be some help.

Extreme falsing like that is a defective coil or wire or something in the electronics.
It might be able to be figured out over the phone by them.

It happens....rarely but it could and does on all brands.

If you bought it from a sponsor here, talk to them.
If you got it from another small dealer shipped in, call them.
If you bought it from a local shop, talk to your dealer.
If you bought it from a large store...good luck...just call 1st Texas.

Don't turn it down. You lose a bit of depth cranking it way down like that.

I hunt 90% of the time with the sensitivity all the way up. Only when Its really bad do I turn it down to the factory pre-set. At times when the machine is acting up I take the batteries out and put them back in. That helps some.

I love my F2 to death but its an unstable machine. It chatters a lot no matter where you are with jumping VDI numbers. Learning to decipher chatter from a solid signal and tone is something I learned after a few outings and it becomes easier and easier.

I hunt at full sense and have some of the most mineralized ground in the country so I do get a little falsing from time to time but I just deal with it.

Holding a coil in the air and getting falsing is the big clue that something is wrong, here.
Even though he says it just beeps for a few seconds when he does that.

I hunt at full sense and have some of the most mineralized ground in the country so I do get a little falsing from time to time but I just deal with it.

Holding a coil in the air and getting falsing is the big clue that something is wrong, here.
Even though he says it just beeps for a few seconds when he does that.

:yes:

thanks all for the info

glad to know that is NOT the way the detector is supposed to act

I haven't had but 15 minutes to experiment

i plugged in the 4 inch coil and it was ok

i plugged the stock coil back in and it seems ok now but only tried for a minute or two

might be user error plugging in the coil, it is a bear to get my fingers to spin that dial

hope it's smooth sailing now, i'll keep you updated (even video it) if it keeps happeneing

thanks again

I run mine full blast too..No problems unless it's a reall trashy area. If it's really trashy sometimes I switch to the 4" coil. Which lately I have been digging the 4" coil better. You do not have steel toe shoes? Also were are you wearing your tool belt, I have to wear mine on my hip because my detector sometimes will pick up my screw driver, pinpointer, and finds. Do you carry a Cell phone, could be that? Maybe you just have a defective unit, the coil could have a short. Did your unit come with another coil (4")? Try it and see if the problem is still present. It should not be acting up like that. Mine is quit for the most part unless I am near powerlines. Good Luck!!!!

Mine will chatter from time to time depending on weather and location. On wet days near power lines or suspected buried lines it will chatter a lot.

F2 errors

Make sure you are using name brand batteries and that they are not out of juice. Ive been changing my batteries about the halfway mark. Keep other metals away from coil. Steel toed boots ,shovel , rings on fingers etc. just my two cents.

a few days later and still doing good :D

now, why can't the pinpoint button be where the power on/off button is?

i keep going to pinpoint and turning the detector off, DOH!

the on/off is in a way easier spot to hit with your finger, however it's used much less than the pinpoint no?

your thoughts?

So if anyone from fisher is visiting, my newbie suggestions:

1. Make it easier to screw in the coil

2. swap the pinpoint and on off buttons

I wear steel toed boots and never have a problem, but then again, I am in the armpit of New York so I get a tax exemption on these old steel toed boots. Have to get exemptions when you can!!!

So if anyone from fisher is visiting, my newbie suggestions:

1. Make it easier to screw in the coil

2. swap the pinpoint and on off buttons

I have no problem at all with the pinpoint buttom and, in fact, like its location. Do have to agree with the coil plug location, that absolutely stinks.

new f 2 owner here, i seem to be having same kind of issues, i made sure my coil cord is tight, but not too tight, at certain times i could tap on the coil cord and it would register a hit, and sometimes i just get the random 99 hit when swinging. has anyone had to put on dielectric grease on the coil plug and did this help at all? I don't think i have a defective unit, if i turn down sensitivity things get better, maybe just have to get used to this, i understand it's a chatty unit. one thing is if i turn it on and leave it on default settings then twist my arm, it goes nuts, like something internal is loose and causing a false.

update seems my yard is noisy, works great in the park

Back
Top Bottom