Portugal, Spain, France - Metal Detecting laws?

brooklynct2003

I have visited several foreign countries, but never thought about taking my metal detector with me.

I know I will be visiting Portugal & Spain again in the next couple of years and would like to bring my Whites XLT & BeachHunter detectors with me. Does anyone in the room have experience treasure hunting there? Any national treasure trove or archaeological laws I need to be aware of?

I look forward to hunting there, since both countries have been settled since pre-Roman times by Celts, Carthaginians, Phonecians, Greeks, etc.

Hey Gil,

Even though I am new to metal detecting I can shed some light on Metal Detecting is Spain. Having lived there for two years I can definately tell you it's strictly forbidden. Im pretty sure its like this in Portugal and France too just because there are some significant finds waiting to be found and EU Laws are a pain in the ass. Pretty much the only place in Europe you can Metal Detect is Austria. I was there 2 months ago with a friend of mine with an avid metal detector. (We both lived in Spain and this is the guy who I got the answer from) He lives in the region of Upper Austria. In his village we found alot of great finds north of the danube. Some Roman Coins and such. Last week he found a coin from 1310. He gives them into the archaeological society for cleaning and restoration and then they return the coins back to him to keep which is great.

A question for you... have you found anything interesting in your corner of CT. I live over the border in MA and was wondering what to find when i go out detecting at some point.

Cheers,

Eric

Eric, lots of interesting finds all over New England. I take my Whites XLT every where I go.

Thanks for the reply on metal detecting in Europe. I'll have to research the laws over there a little further.

Back
Top Bottom