Where do you spend the majority of your time detecting?

Josh

Does the software on this forum support polls? If not, replies are just as good. I just got started detecting and am curious where you guys spend most of your time detecting? The easiest start for me was tot lots. But, I'd really like to dig some older coins. Just curious where you spend the most of your time?

For me it is older houses, old closed schools, old churches, don't do the tot lot thing because the coins would be new. I have tried the beaches with no success, got bored too quickly finding nothing. Will go to the beach if I want gold and silver jewelry. I like historical sites if I can get them. Just my preference. :lol:

80% at the beaches an just started doing the water.other 20% some local parks.

Tot lots! Will be starting a little beach thrown in soon since I got a 10" coil.

Kinda stuck with tot lots here as we do not have much history and the city has built over anything old. An old park here is from the 50's, houses maybe the 30's if you can find one available. So I do the tot lots in between places out in the desert and along the old railroad lines. Steve in so az

we do stubble/plopuhed and rolled fields usually around DMV's, castles or iron age settlements..

Mostly beaches, 1800's farm houses and old country stores. This area is rich in both. I'm going to do some relic hunting as soon as I finish some research. Ordinarily I can hunt year round so there are very few null periods. Its been really great for the last two months. Except for the beach, found 23 cents and 3 lead weights in 1.5 hours last Friday.

I split my time between the tot lots, schools and parks for the easy clad and occasional jewelry, and old wooded areas and historical locations for older coins, relics and bottle dumps. I also try to add in a little time at the fresh and salt water beaches around here, when I can.

Currently, 90% of my time is spent at Hauenstein Hall, the oldest school in our town (see thread titled "1,000 Coin School" in the Coinshooters & Relic Hunters section). I'm on a mission to clean out this schoolyard of every coin my detector can possibly target (1,134 coins found so far as of Oct. 22, 2006). This will probably take at least another year before the finds dwindle down to zero....already they're getting tougher to find--6 coins each of the last 2 trips there.

- Harley-Dog

School yards and tot lots...sometimes if I get bored with actually finding something worthwhile, I'll try a 100 year old house where I'll be virtuallly guaranteed to spend 7 hours or so digging up a barrel of scrap iron, bottle caps, and can slaw...along with the obligatory 3 wheaties....unfortunately, these days, those old , unsearched houses are about your only chance for silver coins...rare as that is...personally, I'll take a nice piece of jewelry over a silver coin most any day...but , to each his own... HH Roadrunner_426

So it sounds like most of you like to go the old houses, barns, etc. but fill your extra time that isn't at these places at tot lots and parks.

Where have you guys found the most jewelry like rings, chains, etc.?

For those of you who do like to search old houses, property, ect. how do you go about getting permission? Do you do research and then stop by and ask or call? Or are most old places owned by friends or relatives?

The best way to find the old places is all the methods you mentioned. Research is by far the best if you don't have ties to the locality. I'm lucky enough that I do.

I hunt the water & beach's about 95 % of the time, the rest is spent on ball diamonds & soccer fields with the odd park thrown in. I'm an addicted ring hunter,,hahahaha H.H.:-)

I've been hunting some out of the way beaches alot lately but thats just because my arm is still messed up so I'm basically one-handed and hunting beaches is alot easier
I usually hunt old homesteads/ghost towns, beaches and parks dont really interest me as much, I think mostly because I dont really care to be around people when I MD, I'd much rather be alone and away from population and problems, plus I'd much rather dig up an old artifact than dig up pennies in the sand, and countless pulltabs...

Man, am I the only one in this forum that lives among civil war areas? The area I live in is rich with it and that's where I spend 95% of my time, looking for civil war artifacts. I love the history. The other 5 percent is spent at old house sites and the occasional tot lot.

Waterman said:
I hunt the water & beach's about 95 % of the time, the rest is spent on ball diamonds & soccer fields with the odd park thrown in. I'm an addicted ring hunter,,hahahaha H.H.:-)

Waterman,

In your experience, are any particular parts of ball diamonds and soccer fields more fruitfull than others? There are a dozen or so nearby and I've been thinking about hitting them. I'm guessing around the bases on a diamond, and around the goals and the dead center of a soccer field?

Until now (had the detector for 12 days now) I have hit only tot lots, parks, my own back yard, and one beach on Lake Ontario. However, I do have an area scoped out where a mill was built in 1840 and burnt down in 1929. The lot is empty now, and I'm not sure what was done with it in between.

So many places to detect, it's just a matter of getting the time... especially with winter fast approaching.

Thanks!

This is my first year detecting and I am dreading the winter time. I will do research over the winter but it will still be hard not going out. Maybe I can catch a good day here and there at the beach. On dry sand though! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom