Looking for water hunting tips

jaorgeron

So I bought the 720i steal scoop yesterday and it should be here Monday. Never got a chance to water hunt with my AT Pro yet but was wondering what do you guys use to hold your detector when your using the scoop. I live in south Louisiana and plan on trying water hunting in lake Pontchartrain. Any tips and or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck... I usually carry my scoop on my left shoulder and swing with my right arm..

When you are digging place your foot behind your coil then remove the coil and place your scoop in front of where your foot is and dig :)

Carol and Vlad also have a tip site for all types of beach hunting here:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=7242

Do any of you use a strap system so if you have to use both hands you dont have to lay your detector down in the water? If so what type do you use?

I dig with my left, swing with my right, and once i have the scoop shaken out then i let my excal hang off my arm while i go through the scoop with my right hand... No need to let either the scoop or the detector float around...

Do any of you use a strap system so if you have to use both hands you dont have to lay your detector down in the water? If so what type do you use?

Use an arm cuff with a strap if possible. Also if you go to fall, try and remember to toss the scoop away from you. So far I've seen a couple posts with broken ribs after falling on their scoop. Easier to ditch if you got it over your shoulder.

Same as above, scoop never leaves my left hand, detector never leaves my right hand. Except when taking a target out of the scoop then the arm cuff holds the detector on my right arm.

I think strapping ANYTHING to you in the water is risky and dangerous. My scoop handle floats and I have my detector hip mounted so I can follow the cable IF I have to let go of it.

Itsaring told me when I find a target to stick my scoop in near it. Then take my detector back to shore, then wade back out and start digging and checking my scoop. That way I have both hands to dig and pull a gold ring out of the scoop. So that what I always do.
Bornstupidhunter

I think strapping ANYTHING to you in the water is risky and dangerous. My scoop handle floats and I have my detector hip mounted so I can follow the cable IF I have to let go of it.

I read your site scuba. A lot of good info and nice of you to share it too.
As far as a strap cuff, it really isn't "strapped to your arm, at least not tight. Mine is quite loose so I can let the detector dangle sort of. My arm would slip right out if I need it to, You would have to try it for a while maybe.
HH BH

I read your site scuba. A lot of good info and nice of you to share it too.
As far as a strap cuff, it really isn't "strapped to your arm, at least not tight. Mine is quite loose so I can let the detector dangle sort of. My arm would slip right out if I need it to, You would have to try it for a while maybe.
HH BH

I totally agree, I have a strap cuff also. I THOUGHT he meant a strap on the detector attached to him. SORRY if I got completly confused. If youi have a leash on your detector and get in trouble. The last thing I would want to do is fight for my life and my detector being in the way.

My detector is on a quick release dive weight belt. I will drop everything to make sure I am safe.

I totally agree, I have a strap cuff also. I THOUGHT he meant a strap on the detector attached to him. SORRY if I got completly confused. If youi have a leash on your detector and get in trouble. The last thing I would want to do is fight for my life and my detector being in the way.

My detector is on a quick release dive weight belt. I will drop everything to make sure I am safe.

Glad we got that straightened out!

I am going to see if I can find my arm cuff. I took it off the day I got it.

I went to a craft store and bought a roll of 2 inch wide velcro and threaded it through the arm cuff.

Now I have a big wide loop that lets my detector float around without bothering me while I dig.

My advice is get a metal arm cuff if you're going to hunt seriously with a AT Pro in the water. They are fantastic machines in fresh water but you will break the plastic arm cuff over and over.

Good luck!

I figured I would update this thread instead of starting a new one. I finally went gave water hunting a try for the first time today. I got to admit you guys have way more patience. It is so slow going compared to land hunting. Got up early this morning and went to Lake Pontchartrain and hunted here. The water is very shallow. The tide was out and most of the time the water was only knee deep. I figured I would venture out towards that wall and see what I would find. Only found a nickle. On the way back I checked the low tide area in the front of the beach area and within 2 minutes I found a penny, dime, quarter, and dollar. Also got to use my Stealth Scoop today for the first time. Man that thing is well made but sure is heavy.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3102.JPG
    IMG_3102.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3101.JPG
    IMG_3101.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 213
I hip mount all my water detectors.
Because I hip mount, my detector is always attached to me via the coil cable. I attach a length of paracord a little shorter than the coil cable to the detector shaft and to belt that I have my detector box mounted to. That way if I let go of my detector it won't stress the coil cable.
I figure if I ever got in trouble I would just release my belt and would be free from being dragged down.
It is important to be able to ditch you gear in an emergency.

Looks a whole lot calmer than the atlantic but what about gators and water moccasins?

Attachments

• watermoccasin.JPG
    watermoccasin.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 177
Back
Top Bottom