A "Dig Everything" Question

Loop

For those who believe in digging everything. Why not have a MD that only has the following controls;

1. A monotone all metal response
2. Pinpoint
3. Variable ground balance
4. A volume control (optional)

If one is going to dig "everything" then why have discrimination, a visual id, multi-tones & various bells & whistles? I feel that the least amount of controls the more time one can devote to hunting. I'm looking for a simplistic fundamental approach to metal detecting.

That's almost exactly my Fisher 1266. It does have dual disc trigger but I rarely use the upper one. Keep it simple is the way, Steve in so az

dig everything

You're right, but I doubt if the dig it all people really do dig it all every time.
If you're in a trashy area you, I think you'll eventually start using a small amount of discrimination just to keep your sanity. That being said, the Vaquero is probably the almost ideal detector for this. JMHO.

This was sort of the selling point for me on my DeLeon. I knew I would dig pretty much anything that wasn't solid iron. I try to pick spots where I can dig as much as I want, but there have been a few places where I didn't want keep the holes to a minimal, some space in-between. Wanted some ID and discrimination, when needed. Looked at a lot of more expensive machines, wasn't seeing a huge difference in depth, but a whole lot of features and options, that once I learned them, would seldom use or change. Don't think any machine can accurately identify a target 100%, or discriminate perfectly. You're still going to dig some trash and junk, just the nature of what the coil is picking up.

Anyone who digs absolutely everything either wastes way too much time or doesn't have much of a place to hunt, therefore probably doesn't have great results in the find department. When most people say they dig everything they're implying they dig everything that's not iron.

Anyone who digs absolutely everything either wastes way too much time or doesn't have much of a place to hunt, therefore probably doesn't have great results in the find department. When most people say they dig everything they're implying they dig everything that's not iron.

Yep, that's what I mean when I say everything... everything but iron. The larger iron still shines through, so doubt iI'd miss a cannon ball...lol

You're right, but I doubt if the dig it all people really do dig it all every time.
If you're in a trashy area you, I think you'll eventually start using a small amount of discrimination just to keep your sanity. That being said, the Vaquero is probably the almost ideal detector for this. JMHO.

I dig your sig!:lol:

For those who believe in digging everything. Why not have a MD that only has the following controls;

1. A monotone all metal response
2. Pinpoint
3. Variable ground balance
4. A volume control (optional)

If one is going to dig "everything" then why have discrimination, a visual id, multi-tones & various bells & whistles? I feel that the least amount of controls the more time one can devote to hunting. I'm looking for a simplistic fundamental approach to metal detecting.

You're looking for a PI machine.

And since PIs are virtually immune to mineralization, they don't even need ground balancing controls.

You're good to go!

Maybe if you are a coin or jewelry hunter this is true but I have to totally disagree with this for prospecting and relic hunting and it will always be dictated by the site and what you are looking for....

I dont have much time so dont waste it.
I have awesome places to hunt.
I find awesome stuff and would put my finds collection up against anyones.

Maybe if you are a coin or jewelry hunter this is true but I have to totally disagree with this for prospecting and relic hunting and it will always be dictated by the site and what you are looking for....

I dont have much time so dont waste it.
I have awesome places to hunt.
I find awesome stuff and would put my finds collection up against anyones.

Well if you like iron relics fill your boots! I still get the larger stuff and have no issue with missing anything else.

ok so you find awesome stuff, so have many of us that have been around a while. This isn't a contest, and wouldn't be a great one if it was because we all live in difference places with different history and have different results. Maybe our finds are just awesome to us and no one else would really care.

Pow! Bang! Zoom!

C'mon Iron Patch! Please take your meds before posting bro. You know you just become overly generalist and lump everyone that doesn't do what you do into negative categories when you don't take your meds.. Wait, :shock: now that I think about it, have you EVER taken your meds? :laughing:

You're looking for a PI machine.

And since PIs are virtually immune to mineralization, they don't even need ground balancing controls.

You're good to go!

This is a general detecting question - most likely meaning land hunts, and you're suggesting a pulse for that?

C'mon Iron Patch! Please take your meds before posting bro. You know you just become overly generalist and lump everyone that doesn't do what you do into negative categories when you don't take your meds.. Wait, :shock: now that I think about it, have you EVER taken your meds? :laughing:

Well correct me then and prove you actually know something than talking trash.

PS: I guess you missed my post from the last two days suggesting to someone to look at a CZ-21. But of course you will turn on your blinders for those and just believe what you want to believe.

Yep, that's what I mean when I say everything... everything but iron. The larger iron still shines through, so doubt iI'd miss a cannon ball...lol

Depends what detector, what the disc. setting is at, how deep the ball is, and probably the site a little too. I know with minimal disc. they still ring in solid for me easily at 2 feet and as much as 3 feet, so I'm not worried about missing any. For several years I didn't even dig the large iron at my old sites but eventually figured out I could be a cherry picker and have become pretty good at it. That reminds me it's yet another Winter that has gone by that I haven't cleaned my iron!

Well if you like iron relics fill your boots! I still get the larger stuff and have no issue with missing anything else.

ok so you find awesome stuff, so have many of us that have been around a while. This isn't a contest, and wouldn't be a great one if it was because we all live in difference places with different history and have different results. Maybe our finds are just awesome to us and no one else would really care.

I LOVE iron relics from certain eras and the stuff they mask out. If you are not digging iron you are missing lots of iron stuff and that is a fact but more importantly you are missing stuff they are masking regardless of make, model, skill or experience. I agree about finds we all like different stuff-I preffer iron gun parts over gold rings while many prefer gold. Thats why your comment regarding those that dig iron probably dont have good sites, good finds and lots of time seemed off base to me.

Peace Bro!

This is a general detecting question - most likely meaning land hunts, and you're suggesting a pulse for that?

IP, just because you don't, and think it's "stupid," doesn't mean that a lot of us that use Pulse Induction units on land are going to stop. Dude, you have an opinion, so does everyone else.

I have used everything on land in woods, parks, farm fields, a SD2100, GPX4000, GPX5000, Dual Field, Sand Shark, TDI, Infinium.. You name it, I have pretty much swung it. If you are looking for depth PI is King. When I use VLF, I'm only discriminating Iron, that's it.

Why not just say "I would never do that because..," rather than getting all 7-year old on everybody. "My way or the highway," well, that doesn't play well with adults. :cool:

I LOVE iron relics from certain eras and the stuff they mask out. If you are not digging iron you are missing lots of iron stuff and that is a fact but more importantly you are missing stuff they are masking regardless of make, model, skill or experience. I agree about finds we all like different stuff-I preffer iron gun parts over gold rings while many prefer gold. Thats why your comment regarding those that dig iron probably dont have good sites, good finds and lots of time seemed off base to me.

I like cannon balls, trade axes, and probably a few more things and do find it, but gun parts and smaller iron relics don't do a thing for me. My time is much better spent finding a new old site to hunt than looking for small iron, and that would still be the case even if I liked it. We often bail on a site even before it's 100% tapped for non iron relics just because there so much more out there to find. But we always return using it as a back up site on a day that didn't go so well, or we hit it again once the plow goes through. We don't detect anywhere near as much as we used to so now the game plan seems more important than ever, because some days we literally spend over half the day driving.

IP, just because you don't, and think it's "stupid," doesn't mean that a lot of us that use Pulse Induction units on land are going to stop. Dude, you have an opinion, so does everyone else.

I have used everything on land in woods, parks, farm fields, a SD2100, GPX4000, GPX5000, Dual Field, Sand Shark, TDI, Infinium.. You name it, I have pretty much swung it. If you are looking for depth PI is King. When I use VLF, I'm only discriminating Iron, that's it.

Why not just say "I would never do that because..," rather than getting all 7-year old on everybody. "My way or the highway," well, that doesn't play well with adults. :cool:

So a guy comes in here looking to detect and "dig it all" so we should tell him to buy a pulse? Yeah that would go over well once he starts to hit various types of sites.

But regardless of that, you said I have an opinion and so does everyone else, so what exactly is your problem? Also, the context of the thread is digging everything all the time, one detector... and considering you have non PI units means you don't dug everything all the time.

You can think what you want about me but it doesn't matter because I don't think you understand my post, and you're reading and believing what you want to. And trying to find something to feel offended about.

Back
Top Bottom