Safari -pennies id like dimes and quarters?

JIM BL

On my safari, nickels usually id at 14-15,pennies at 34-35,dimes at37
and quarters at 37-38. I dug a lot of clad pennies today,as they were iding as high as 39. Maybe there is a good reason. This was in real sticky mud. I welcome any ideas or history.

Sorry Jim, I don't have answers! But I am interested in what other viewers have to say about this, as the safari is on my shopping list!

I have an E Trac not a Safari and to be honest I am still learning it. But I noticed that target ID can be manipulated by a few things.

Ground Minerals
Ground Moisture
Noise cancelling channel
The year pennies were minted
Depth of the target

On the Etrac usually anything above 40 conductive is not a penny. But there have been exceptions. A penny can be anywhere in the 30's conductive.

So to be honest I just don't think that Minelab units can give an absolute coin ID.

Well I just traded my f75 ltd for a safari should have it tuesday, but anyways I went out with the f75 twice before I traded it and the same thing was happening with me, I was digging a bunch of pennies and thought were quarter or dimes. I am in northeast ohio. it must be because there is still alot of water in the ground now, that is my guess.
mike

I am new to the forum, but I got a new Safari and all I been getting is pennies As far a coins go, but i hope to get something else soon laughing. I think it is going to be a fine investment. I been getting a coin out of three dug holes. I am a newbie to this machine. Had a MAT before this and did allot of digging of junk but also a few good silver mercs. Anyway. I will be trying mine on a 1860 tobacco farm in East Tn this weekend while turkey hunting. Can you ask for anything more? :lol::laughing:

I have an E Trac not a Safari and to be honest I am still learning it. But I noticed that target ID can be manipulated by a few things.

Ground Minerals
Ground Moisture
Noise cancelling channel
The year pennies were minted
Depth of the target

On the Etrac usually anything above 40 conductive is not a penny. But there have been exceptions. A penny can be anywhere in the 30's conductive.

So to be honest I just don't think that Minelab units can give an absolute coin ID.

If there is a detector that can give an absolute ID I'll buy it right now.

You are absolutely right about the variables in the ground having an effect on the ID though. I have to correct you on one thing though. Copper pennies (1982 and older) will ID in the clad dime range usually since there composition and size are simalar. Zinc pennies will always ring up lower. Usually around 37-38 or even less depending how corroded and eaten away they are. I've dug zinc pennies that were so rotten they rang up like a nickel.

Keith

I find that pennies from 1978 to 1982 (late date copper) I'd as high as 6-48 on my Etrac which is as high as a half dollar. I don't know why. I think the US Mint dunked these in a radioactive plutonium high conductive bath before releasing them for circulation.

I don't understand how a 1982 penny can produce such a high tone and target I.D. But the numbers and tone remain the same even when double checked with my Sunray probe in my bare hand...

My XLT will ring up quite high, even as quarters sometimes for pennies as well... it's such a bummer when you get a high 80-something only to dig a penny :(

All the reasons mentioned above will definitely affect whether or not a penny will read like a dime on the Safari. The #1 reason appears to be rather or not the penny is a pre-84 and then everything else comes into play, especially the moisture content of the ground. When a coin has a questionable dime reading, to try and get a more accurate reading I'll sweep the target several times and sometimes from different directions, often stopping at the end of a swing for a second or two, to see if the Safari will show a different number, especially if nulling (I don't hunt in all-metal). Sometimes by doing so you will get a more accurate TID reading on a later swing. Also pay really close attention to any variations in your numbers, especially when any numbers lower than 38 show up. If you are getting a 36-37-38 reading by sweeping several times, then chances are very good that it is a penny. but be careful as I just had a 37-38-39 reading be a deep silver. The last time out I made a conscious effort to avoid digging any pennies and still close to 10% of my coins ended up being pennies that were reading and sounding like dimes, so no method is infallible. One other thing, usually (not always) on the Safari a penny will have a slightly different tone than your dimes or quarters. Over time you will begin to get better at noticing the subtle differences between them. You can also use the difference in tones as a reason to dig those targets reading a 37 or like a high penny, but actually sounding lke a dime. Sometimes they will turn out to be a deep dime rather than the normal penny. Just for the record on my Safari a penny will "normally" read 35-37, sometimes lower. A dime and quarter will usually read 38 with a quarter sometimes reading as high as 39. If you want a detector that I.D.'s pennies really well, try the XT-70 (705), but it usually won't give you quite the depth of a Safari.

I have had my safari for several months and have noticed that some of the really shallow 38 signals have been pennies. I think it has to do with the depth because it is closer to the coil and believes the coin is bigger than it actually is.

On my Delta a copper penny and a clad dime both give me a VDI of 82-83. A 77 is a zinc, so I am happy with either penny or dime as long as it is not a corroded zinc :)

Back
Top Bottom