8" coil

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Well ive been using my upgraded Xcal II with the PPer, 8" coil and Joes newest skullie tubes. Ive also scored a little gold with it.

What ive noticed about the 8" is it takes a lot more swinging and wants to float a bit more in the shallow water. Im sure the floating is because of the pods being back farther behind the elbow and having a CF stick. The 8" is a lot better at IDing iron..... especially bottle caps. You get more nulls. In PP you dont hear nearly as much minerals or raising of the threshold when moving the coil either. So you catch more of those weak or otherwise missed signals. Might be why believe they are better for smaller targets and even chains. The 10" takes in a lot more minerals to process and is hotter/deeper than the 8", but if you run to much sensitivity what do you get on iron? Wrap around.....or false signals/high tones off the rust. Its possible running a little less sensitivity would match or duplicate what the 8" does......but you would sacrifice that same amount in depth.... maybe a half inch. So someone wishing to have a 8" coil but not loose the coverage might try just reducing their sensitivity a couple notches.

I have noticed the small coil to be more sensitive as well Dew... I didn't think I would like it after swinging nothing but bigger coils... that gold chain changed my view of smaller coils and its plenty deep for where I use it... I still use the 10x12 as well when I am in an area that has large expanses of wet sand flats working it with the small coil can be overwhelming ;) the small coil excels in heavy iron that the larger coils would just be in a state of constant nulling.

Those areas do give an advantage to the 8" which will separate better and less null/coil shut down means not a lot of difference in depth there. The SEF is a pretty sensitive and quiet coil for such a large one. I never used anything but it on my Explorer.

So, I've been thinking of this more lately as I've been running the WOT on the GT for nearly a year. The WOT's a great coil, and I cover a lot of ground, but I question the time to process info and the accuracy of the nulling and tones.

I sold "Hairpin" (Sea Hunter MII) a couple months ago, but doing so reminds me I can't remember the last time I dug a hairpin with the SovWOT... not that I want to dig hairpins. I've had some deep greenies null, but also dug a light 10k at about 4"-6". Of course, the larger the coil, the better the chances of hitting/processing multiple targets.

So, just confirming what I'm understanding here... smaller coils may provide more accurate processing and may hit better on smaller gold... thin chains and small ear rings.

Raider Regards,

R5

So, I've been thinking of this more lately as I've been running the WOT on the GT for nearly a year. The WOT's a great coil, and I cover a lot of ground, but I question the time to process info and the accuracy of the nulling and tones.

I sold "Hairpin" (Sea Hunter MII) a couple months ago, but doing so reminds me I can't remember the last time I dug a hairpin with the SovWOT... not that I want to dig hairpins. I've had some deep greenies null, but also dug a light 10k at about 4"-6". Of course, the larger the coil, the better the chances of hitting/processing multiple targets.

So, just confirming what I'm understanding here... smaller coils may provide more accurate processing and may hit better on smaller gold... thin chains and small ear rings.

Raider Regards,

R5

I think so Raider... I know what you mean about greenies nulling they do the same thing with my SEF but I do recover them as I did anything that comes through the null... the small coil is awesome working the heavy iron and minerals at least from what I have found so far by using it.. I was afraid of depth loss ... I have dug some deep targets with that little coil.

I've been running the 800 coil for several weeks now, and was surprised at the depth and separation it gets. Not only on the beach, but in a trashy park as well. I hunted a section of beach with the 10" coil, then came back the next tide with the 8" and hunted the same section again...and found a whole bunch of targets that were either masked by iron or just by having too many under the 10" at once. I can also run it with more sensitivity than the larger coils and still keep a stable threshold. It's kinda hard to cover ground with it, but nice and light to swing all day. Definitely a coil to have in the collection.

Dew I am afraid to go back to the 10, your little 8oo and mine have got me more gold in the last 3 weeks then I have ever had this early in the season, I am just wondering how the 1000 would do...Most I have found were small gold under 4 grams.. yesterdays was 1.42..
Yesterday and last Wednesday I felt like the 10 would have got one of the rings but not the other two... the thing is did I miss any with the 8 from not having the coverage...and the extra inch in depth.. to do, or not to dew.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Isn't that what I kept saying about the 10" takes more time processing targets and therefore catches more minerals,,,,,,,I wish you would have just stayed with the 10",,,,now you even have more reason to get more gold,,,,:laughing:them little guys can be super hot,,,,,I take it out of my mind that it is smaller than the 10", only talking a couple inches and its a BIG beach,,,,,,cant wait to see it Thursday,,,,,,GL HH

Those 8" coils are definitely sensitive, but there is something about swinging a little 8" coil on a huge beach that drives me nuts. Unless I am in a spot that targets are everywhere, I stick to the biggest coil possible. Even a 10" coil feels tiny now..

I dont disagree Crum..... especially this time of the year when we start getting recent drops...... but suppose you hit a chain that a larger coil just wouldnt? Tim..... they are hot, but im not sure a more reasonable setting of sensitivity that would eliminate wrap around wouldnt do the same thing. Joe, ive only air tested mine..... looks like i loose about 1/2" depth.... thats worth it for less threshold noise. You can hear those little raises in threshold pretty well over the 10". Hard choice considering ive got one machine that is significant deeper in PP over its disc. Boyyyyyy Tim ive got a decision to make .... test the 8" behind you or swing my killer 10 and keep up.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom