silver uMax toggle switch problem

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy. The toggle switch on a friends silver uMax no longer works for testing the battery. Anyone ever had this happen and fix it? Or is it a send it back thing? New battery has been put in. All else works fine. Just not the battery test.

Thanks folks.

Howdy. The toggle switch on a friends silver uMax no longer works for testing the battery. Anyone ever had this happen and fix it? Or is it a send it back thing? New battery has been put in. All else works fine. Just not the battery test.

Thanks folks.

Had the same thing happen,they replaced the switch for me.
About a 3 week turn around.Good company .Top shelf service.

Agreed

Yes, they are really nice folks who stand behind what they make, imo. The folks there are fantastic.

We ended up doing what I did with my own Silver uMax... as I also had a problem w few months after owning mine, the toggle switch must have gotten dirt in it, it no longer would allow me to switch between Disc and AM mode... so, I had called the folks in Prescott (I live in Phoenix) and asked if I drove up there, would they be able to fix it same day... they said they would try... so I drove up there, dropped it off in the morning, and kind of hung around Prescott for a while and they called, it was all set. So, for my friend, we did the same thing... called, drove down, etc... same outcome, great folks over there. Really appreciate the service, they did not have to do that.

Also, for you silver uMax owners, after my issue was resolved, I went and took the rubber top off an eye dropper, and it fix right over my toggle switch, almost perfectly. I used clear silicone and attached it.

Been probably over a year now, and it still works perfect... this rubber top keeps the dirt out of that switch. A mod worth doing.

And again, thank you to the folks at Tesoro, appreciate your customer service and a fantastic product. Please keep up the great work.

Ron

Had the same problem with mine and my dads.:(First it wouldn't even switch over to the battery check,blew into the switch and it finally switched over but no sound.Then i switched it over to all metal and than backed to battery check and the sound came back just fine:D.Mostly happens in sandy areas.

Yes, they are really nice folks who stand behind what they make, imo. The folks there are fantastic.

We ended up doing what I did with my own Silver uMax... as I also had a problem w few months after owning mine, the toggle switch must have gotten dirt in it, it no longer would allow me to switch between Disc and AM mode... so, I had called the folks in Prescott (I live in Phoenix) and asked if I drove up there, would they be able to fix it same day... they said they would try... so I drove up there, dropped it off in the morning, and kind of hung around Prescott for a while and they called, it was all set. So, for my friend, we did the same thing... called, drove down, etc... same outcome, great folks over there. Really appreciate the service, they did not have to do that.

Also, for you silver uMax owners, after my issue was resolved, I went and took the rubber top off an eye dropper, and it fix right over my toggle switch, almost perfectly. I used clear silicone and attached it.

Been probably over a year now, and it still works perfect... this rubber top keeps the dirt out of that switch. A mod worth doing.

And again, thank you to the folks at Tesoro, appreciate your customer service and a fantastic product. Please keep up the great work.

Ron
Great idea!:thumbsup:

yes get an "all weather cap" for it at your local RS,, never have the same problem again !!!

Here is a little addition to this thread... My switch has quit working on the batt test too. I ohmed it out and verified it's not right. For those who have a 2nd hand detector (don't qualify for warranty service), can do simple solder jobs and want to save some cash and time... The switch is Apem PN 5648AB. MouserElectronics has them in stock (642-5648AB) and after shipping, it's 20 bucks. http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/26/5000-structure-3054.pdf

If it was any other company I would say you can get the parts right at radio shack but since tesoro has a life time warranty send to them and let them look it over. In the future I would get a bootie for the the toggle switch

I agree with you Briman, it's just I'm not the original owner, and i work in medical electronics. The part listed above is exactly what is in the detector. Since it is just an easy solder job and I'm not the original owner, I'm going for it. Even with the 20 dollar part, I'm still saving 50 bucks and 3 weeks. Since the question was asked and this is a "normal" problem according to this thread, I'm just putting the info out for the benefit of others in the same boat as me. And yes the bootie idea is a good one. For a side project, I'm going to try to design and 3D print some rubber booties custom for this switch to keep contamination out.

The switch worked like a champ. Only issue (if you can call it that) is that the switch has a round toggle instead of the squarish-triangleish one that was installed originally. I also have an Alco 1/4-40 threaded waterproof boot on order from eBay to keep the junk out in the future... It was a steal at 0.99...

Quick Photo

Howdy... if anyone is interested and does not mind a dirty photo of my Silver uMax, lol, but just to get the idea of what I did with the rubber booty... here is a quick, sigh, but blurry photo... again, pardon the dirt. Lol.

Happy Hunting!

Ron

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 273
Nice! Here is a photo of the little bootie I found on eBay. It threads on and will keep the dirt out nice and stays in disc mode when you switch it over.

36fd1f5059799551c74ad36912ff5ee4.jpg

Perfect!

That looks perfect! Any idea where others can get this? Or its size etc... what would we look for to find the screw on one... nice!

That looks perfect! Any idea where other can get this? Or its size etc... what would we look for to find the screw on one... nice!

The P/N of the ones I have is BP-1440-0 by Alco. I got them off eBay. They are a little short, but they do stretch out and don't thicken the switch toggle. The thread pitch is 1/40.

I've got some extras. Pm me and I can help you out.
0add360712b36610fd0691e6c687f0e5.jpg

An alternative to the boot is to cut a rubber disc and slip it over the switch toggle and down as far as it will go, this at the very least deflects the dirt from the fingers.

Will do

Awesome, and will send a PM... also, good idea on the rubber disk... that would indeed be better than not putting anything over it.

Tesoro, if ya'll are out there, lol, might be a good idea to make this simple mod... might save' ya'll money... thinking the lifetime warranty... and having to repair these toggles, has a cost to you ... I dunno.... reckon someone over there has already done the math, lol... may not be worth it...

In the meantime, the rubber boots are helping just fine... lol.

Happy Hunting!

Ron

Back
Top Bottom