Tragedy, the BBC has cancelled one of my favorites

Bounder

My wife was looking to see when season 4 of detectorist was starting only to see that the bbc has cancelled it.

My wife was looking to see when season 4 of detectorist was starting only to see that the bbc has cancelled it.

O man that stinks. I watched all the shows available bout a year n half ago. Was hoping the Britts would continue with more! I really liked the show. Great job by the cast. Too bad..

The Detectorists was a fantastic series - I liked it well enough that I asked for the complete DVD set for Christmas a couple years ago! In a silly effort to extend the series as long as possible, I never watched the last episode until last week. With the stay-at-home orders and extra time at home, I finally decided it was time! ;) And since there doesn’t seem to be any real end in sight for the restrictions, I’m definitely planning to watch the whole series again from scratch soon.

Anyways, my understanding is that Mackenzie Crook (the writer, director, and actor for one of the lead characters) made the decision himself to end the series, not the BBC. As the third season was announced, it was already known that it was going to be the final season. Here’s a good article from “The British Comedy Guide” in December 2017 with an interview of Crook that has him talking about it:

British Comedy Guide: Mackenzie Crook Interview

Yes, Mackenzie Crook originally wanted to do only two seasons but was talked into a third season. His reason is he didn't want to run out of material and have it become one of those shows that gets dumb.

It is a show with excellent writing & acting with no scene over done.
My wife and I have watched every one several times.

It is this show in fact that got me interested in metal detecting. I first started researching how detectors work to check on how accurately Lance & Andy used them in the show. Then started building detector circuits.
I have built two detectors (a PI and a VLF) that work very well and have found many Colonial and early American objects.

Yes, my wife and I both miss Andy & Lance but probably best to leave the series while it is still great.

I watched a couple of episodes and was disappointed that it wasn't more about metal detecting. The wife started watching and liked that it wasn't all about detecting. We have watched them all twice now, and I think I enjoyed it more the second time. It takes me a little bit to understand their English English, and there are a lot of subtle jokes I missed the first time around. I laughed harder at Simon and Garfunkel getting chased by the dogs than anything on tv in years. I can't think of any American show that has had a seasons long build up for just one little joke

I watched a couple of episodes and was disappointed that it wasn't more about metal detecting. The wife started watching and liked that it wasn't all about detecting. We have watched them all twice now, and I think I enjoyed it more the second time. It takes me a little bit to understand their English English, and there are a lot of subtle jokes I missed the first time around. I laughed harder at Simon and Garfunkel getting chased by the dogs than anything on tv in years. I can't think of any American show that has had a seasons long build up for just one little joke

Supposedly Crooks hobby was metal detecting. But some of their banana swings 4-8" off the ground made me wonder who was the detectorist consultant for the show.

But still loved the show.

Back
Top Bottom