Going to Cripple Creek CO area

4uwendy

Hello....I am really new at metal detecting. My family is planning a trip to Cripple Creek and the surrounding area. I would like to know where are some great places to metal detect in that area. Any help, advice, and suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thank you!

I have no info on Cripple Creek, other than it was a good song by the Band, but welcome to the forum.

I see you are from Lenexa....I work in Lenexa, but live on the Missouri side. Any good places to go for metal detecting in our area. Thanks!!

I live in Lenexa, but usually work on the Missouri side.

I'm pretty new at this, and have spent the majority of my time hunting school lots, just trying to learn my machine. I'd think some of kansas City's parks would be good: Liberty Memorial, Penn Valley, Loose Park, Hyde Park, Gilliam Park, Minor Park. Good Luck!

Maybe you can give me some advice. We will be MD in the Rockies, do you know of a good MD for that terrain? I see by reading these forums, the ACE250 seems to be overall the best for newbies. However, I would like to purchase one great for the Rockies as well. (we will be by rivers as well)

I know the Ace 250 is supposed to be a very good detector, but I'm not sure if it's good for mineralized soil, like I think they have in CO. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will offer you some advice. Tony at WWW.tcmetaldetectors.com is very helpful.

As far as MDing on the MO side. I lived there for about 30 years. Anywhere in Independence is good, There are alot of civil war artifacts to be found in Indep. Along just about any creek, or park. Found a cannon ball along a creek on time. Also, while digging in that area, remember to look for native american artifacts. ALOT to be found there.

Thanks!! I live in Eastern Independence almost in Blue Springs. I hope to find all sorts of fun stuff. Thanks so much. DON - do you also recommend the ACE250 as well. Cost is a factor!! Thanks

I live about 50 miles northwest of Colorado Springs. Don't get to the Cripple Creek area very often but it is way cool, lots of history. I don't know of really good detecting areas that wouldn't be private property. I have never had trouble with the rangers for detecting in the National Forest-you can always ask at the nearest ranger station.

I use my Bounty Hunter but have to set discrimination high and sensitivity low because we're in an area of high mineral content and lots of metallic stuff in the rock. I'm looking at maybe a Garrett Scorpion myself(thanks to the recommendations guys!). I have fun even if a lot of what I find is old tin, rusty cast iron and what not. In a mining area like Cripple Creek you're going to have to expect to find a LOT of stuff like that.

Have a good trip.

Hey 4UWendy, welcome to the forum.

As far as a detector goes, it's really about WHAT you're looking for and WHERE you're planning on hunting. If you're going into an area like the Cripple Creek and planning on prospecting, you will need a detector that can handle mineralization. Here in So. Calif, our soil is very mineralized, and the Ace 250 has trouble with that. If you plan to hunt mostly parks and schools, the 250 will probably be just fine.
As Ed suggested, talk with Tony about what detector would be appropriate for what you need. He's a great resource.

Best of luck and make sure to post your finds for all of us to enjoy.

RD :cool:

Back
Top Bottom