Should I keep my Explorer?

minereader

I traded for a one-owner Explorer XS several years ago. It had been well cared for, but as with many of the older Explorers, the plastic shaft latch had broken, so I J-B-welded it together. I sent the machine back to Minelab, and they turned it into an Explorer II(structurally). New housing, shaft, coil, cable,EVERYTHING except the "guts". This machine looks like a brand-new Explorer II. The coil was the most expensive part. They said my old coil had a "short". Well, since I started using Tesoro machines, I never use the Minelab. As a matter of fact, I haven't hunted with it ANY since getting it back. I have alot of money tied up in it, and can't make up my mind whether or not to sell it. Still have the box for the Mine.... I know it's hard to get advice as to what to do, so I'm going to "take a poll". What would you do? I've never really "bonded" with the Mine..., but I've bonded with the Tesoros. I may like the Minelab better if I salt-water beach hunt, or coin-hunt(which I sometimes do). Decisions, decisions. decisions........

You mentioned in another post that you like the Tesoro Silver partly because it's lighter than the Minelab and with your arthritis, it's easier for you to swing. I know it's hard to part with something you've put a lot of money into, but if swinging it will cause you pain or worse, you might be better-off selling it and getting a light-weight machine you can use on the beach. The fact that you haven't bonded with it makes me think it's either very complicated, or very heavy and painful for you to use.

Another idea would be to try a straight shaft on it. That seems to be a popular thing to do with the Excal 1000. Maybe that would be more comfortable. Maybe you could mount the control box on your chest or waist somehow - to lighten the load.

(My Garrett CX Plus is very heavy and poorly balanced. It goes deeper than any other machine I have, but since it's not very comfortable to swing, I hardly use it. And I don't have arthritis yet. When I put the 12 inch coil on it, it feels like I'm trying to swing a lawn mower.)

A thing only has value if it is useful, or you just get pleasure from owning it. Every now and then I look at that CX Plus and think to myself 'I ought to sell that thing.' But then I think 'what if my other Garrett and my White's die?' So I guess it's my backup.

Whatever you do, don't trade it for a CX Plus.

If swinging the XS is no problem for you, I would keep it. You HAVE to spend some time with the Explorer to learn it.

If yoiu are not willing to spend the time, you might as well sell it. It is a lot more flexible than a Tesoro, but the Tesoro's have their place too. If it were me, I would keep both.

About the time that I got the Explorer, I was having problems with rheumatoid arthritis, but hadn't been diagnosed, at that time. Soon after diagnosis, I was put on several medications by a Rheumatologist. In the meantime, realizing that the Minelab(or detecting, in general) was aggravating my condition, I purchased the Silver. Now, the medicine has been a blessing, and I'm able to do more than before, so I could probably use the Explorer on a good day, but the Tesoro is probably the machine that will stay in my truck. I have found some good items with the explorer, and think I "got the hang of it", but............?? Might keep 'em both. But I have a White's Amphibian II. the EXplorer, a Silver, and a Cibola. I know it's nice to have a back-up machine, but I don't think I need 4 detectors. Could be worse, however........I have about 40 guns, and can only shoot one at the time.

Back
Top Bottom