Where to send an Excal II for repair?

canwedigit

Elite Member
Where to send Excal II for repair?

There seems to be an issue at the battery connection terminal.

After screwing on the battery cable securely, it only gives a constant tone for a short time
and stops. When I just touch the side of the cable at the connector to try a reconnection, & before I try to unscrew it, the signal returns for a few seconds & then starts crackling again & returns to tone & starts crackling again & goes blank when I take my hand off the connector wire.

I slightly opened the two connectors & no improvement.

Any ideas?? Or where can it be sent for repair & reasonable turnaround time?

You have a bad battery. Charge it check for 14v or minimum 12v. You can buy a replacement for 37 dollars and change it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad battery cable..

Call Minelab......The machine will go to the new repair center in PA...they are excellent.

Attachments

• OBN0015 (2).jpg
    OBN0015 (2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 350
I agree with slider66.
Minelab repair 1 800 949 6522

Do you hip mount your excal?

Sometimes this over flexes the cables at the connectors and they fail.

Sounds like the connection to me, they get corrosion in them after awhile. I took mine apart and redid it several times over the years...
Easy enough to check, the big part that screws on to the battery has two small screws, first loosen the shiny nut from the top and undo those and you will have to pry the two pieces apart, my guess is you will see a big ball of green in there...

I had sent my old Excal 1000 to KellyCo a few years back for repair. Actually sent it twice. The first time, the fixed some wiring from a leaking battery case. The price was reasonable and the turn- around was around a week and a half. A year later I had sent it back to them to hardwire in some new Gray Ghosts. Price was fair, but then their repairman had to take off for a "family emergency". The communication with KellyCo wasn't good and it took almost a month to get my machine back. Bottom line, It's a coin toss with them. At least with my experience...

I had sent my old Excal 1000 to KellyCo a few years back for repair. Actually sent it twice. The first time, the fixed some wiring from a leaking battery case. The price was reasonable and the turn- around was around a week and a half. A year later I had sent it back to them to hardwire in some new Gray Ghosts. Price was fair, but then their repairman had to take off for a "family emergency". The communication with KellyCo wasn't good and it took almost a month to get my machine back. Bottom line, It's a coin toss with them. At least with my experience...

They are no longer the Minelab repair center. Minelab finally Kicked them to the side

I had 2 excals in for pinpoint mods than. Barry started the job than suffered a heart attack and passed. His brother Dave took a month off than came back to work the backlog. They never really got caught up.

Mark

Max Pack is out dated, yes they have nice Excalibur batteries, chargers, listed thats about it, they need to update for all detector's, looked for a Equinox battery just in case, none, or maybe i just didn't see it, it would be nice to have a one stop place to shop, even Amazon fall's short on Metal Detector accessories.

The 2 wires inside the cable from the battery to the control unit crack over time and if left in hot car, mine cracked after 7 yrs and attempting to repair now. There is a utube video of the repair process and problem, but the guy ends up taking 3 days to finally correct the issue...Had to put mine asside and will take 2 months. Nothing seems to be standard on the Excal, even the wires. If you play with it make sure you keep the polarity of the battery connection right or else you'll blow-up the battery. I suggest send it in to Minelab, and get a back-up detector, hate to say it, but like the 800.

I am still going with bad connection in the connector. If he can get a bit of threshold and then it goes quiet and he can giggle it slightly and hear another bit of threshold it is not the battery, it is the connection.
It is a really simple job to open up that connector and redo the connection. Undo the silver colored nut, mark the body of the connector with something on both halves to make sure you reinstall correctly, undo two screws and pry the two halves apart. My guess is you will see a big ball of corrosion...
In that case you just have to undo the two small allen setscrews on the bronze posts inside the connector, cut back the wires maybe a half inch, stick the fresh wires back in to the bronze posts and tighten the allen screws and reassemble the connector. You can even pack the connector with silicon grease when reassembling.
This whole process takes about 20 minutes, I did it several times over the years with my excal...

Back
Top Bottom