First timer,need help

Diggin-D

I have a chance to get a whites classic 3. I dont know much about this hobby,I want to give it a try..Would this be a good unit? How old would the classic 3 be? How do they stack up to the newer prism models? How much is it worth in very good shape? Thanks in advance ;)

First - Welcome to the forum!

Does that machine have a graphic display? A display is not required to learn this hobby, but it helps. Don't know about that machine - never seen one.

You might go to the White's site to see what their list price is for that unit. (If you don't see that machine there, then go to the Kellyco Metal Detectors site and look for it there - White's made certain machines for sale by Kellyco only.) As far as a 'used' price goes, consider this; you can get a new Garrett ACE 250 delivered to you for about $217. That includes a guarantee and an instructional video. The 250 is a very popular machine and if you decide you don't like this hobby, you could turn-around and sell it on ebay for $170 or more (as long as you didn't beat it up and stomp on it - keep the box.) It costs about as much as the Prizm II, but has a lot more bells and whistles for the money.

If the person selling the Classic III is a friend of yours and is willing to teach you how to use it, then that's a plus.

As far as the Prizm line goes, I had a Prizm V and couldn't sell it fast enough. Just didn't perform the way I like my machines to perform. I'd even point you toward a Bounty Hunter before I'd recommend a Prizm - but that's just a personal thing. Lots of folks use Prizms and love them.

I hope you enjoy the hobby. Don't get too hung-up on which machine to get. Stay with White's, Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro, Minelab, and Bounty Hunter brands and you'll end-up with a good machine. The first few times out could be confusing; first search your back yard, then find a 'tot-lot' and search that. Don't go to an old picnic area first - they're full of pull-tabs and bottle caps and you'll dig 50 bottle caps for every coin you find - a very frustrating place to try and learn how to use a new detector.

HH

Rich

The classic 3 has no display screen.Its the plain classic series sound only.I,m now leaning towards a display screen,especially since I,m new at this.I was asking because I found the classic 3 with a pinpointer headphones and carry bag for $300.00 I wanted to see how much of a bargain that was getting.Any more input would be appreciated

I agree with BR. The Ace 250, from what I have read, would be a great starter unit. I am personally fond of the Tesoros, most of which don't have visuals, but I'd go with the Ace.

The classic 3 has no display screen.Its the plain classic series sound only.I,m now leaning towards a display screen,especially since I,m new at this.I was asking because I found the classic 3 with a pinpointer headphones and carry bag for $300.00 I wanted to see how much of a bargain that was getting.Any more input would be appreciated

The Classic III is a decent machine, but in my opinion $300 is way too much for it. I bought one on eBay for less than $100 & it was in very good shape & worked perfect. If I was willing to spend $300 I would get something other than the Classic III. As mentioned the Garrett Ace 250 for just over $200 is a pretty good detector. I probably will get some slack for saying this but for around $340 you can get the Tesoro Cibola, even though it has no id display I think it is a much better machine than the Ace 250. I would even check out the Tesoro Silver uMax at around $200 or so, no id display but a great little detector. Steve...

skiwhiz,that $300 Included a bullseye pinpointer, headphones,whites tote bag plus the classic 3 with bluemax 950 head.Is this a deal? Or too much$$$?

I think Skiwiz hit it right, even with the accessories $300 is on the high side for the Classic 3. If having ID is a deal-breaker the Ace 250 is the way to go. If ID isn't absolutely necessary go with the Cibola or look for a used Tesoro Deleon (has ID) on ebay.

skiwhiz,that $300 Included a bullseye pinpointer, headphones,whites tote bag plus the classic 3 with bluemax 950 head.Is this a deal? Or too much$$$?
Not knocking the detector but still I think is too high of a price for it. All the extra goodies are nice but remember the main thing is the detector - you can always get the extra's later. In my opinion $200 would be more than enough for the Classic III with the accessories. Steve.

Thanks skiwhiz.I,ll back off and wait for a better deal.This is yet another website with good folks on it.:D

Thanks skiwhiz.I,ll back off and wait for a better deal.This is yet another website with good folks on it.:D
You are more than welcome, yes this is a great site with great folks. I agree that if you are new to metal detecting the Ace 250 would be a great starter machine, it has alot of features for the money. And if you decide you don't like the hobby you could sell the Ace and get most of your money back - the resale on them is very good. The best detector is the one that you have fun using no matter the brand or model, we all have our favorites & our opinions. Good luck with your purchase. Steve.

I chose the whites prism 2. I found a package deal with pinpointer headphones and bag.Like new.$175.00 I,ll have it in a few days.I cant wait to start ! I live in southwestern Pa.I am thinking about some of the places i want to try.Old bldgs,near the old rail road station.ect Thanks again for the advise

You will like the Prizm II, I had one and enjoyed it. The Prizm is dead on when it pinpoints, I don't think you will need that handheld pinpointer. If you didn't get a coil cover with it and want one let me know. I have a brand new never used coil cover for the Prizm that I mentioned on this forum along time ago that I would give it away to whoever wanted it for free - they just had to send me the shipping cost (it was under $4.00 I think) somebody told me they wanted it but I never heard from them again. You can't get a smaller coil for the Prizm but they make a larger coil for it (9.5") that will get you alittle bit better depth. Have fun with your new toy! Steve.

Whats the purpose of having a coil cover?
A coil cover slips over your coil, it protects it from scratching and getting knicks & cuts. No matter how careful you are you will rub the coil on stones in the tot lots,and numerous other things that can scratch your coil. Replacement coils are very expensive. If you want it send me your zip code and I will tell you the shipping amount, then if you want it I will send it to you in a bubble wrap envelope. You can contact me here [email protected] Steve.

A coil cover slips over your coil, it protects it from scratching and getting knicks & cuts. No matter how careful you are you will rub the coil on stones in the tot lots,and numerous other things that can scratch your coil. Replacement coils are very expensive. If you want it send me your zip code and I will tell you the shipping amount, then if you want it I will send it to you in a bubble wrap envelope. You can contact me here [email protected] Steve.
I am very sorry my friend but I ask my wife to get out the coil cover & she told me that she threw it away. Why don't our wife's leave our stuff where we put it - you know what I mean, our clothes in the middle of the floor/our tools all over the place/our paper work strung out all over our desk/just where we know where everything is they & go and rearrange it. I feel like a fool for telling you something then have to tell you something different. I am very sorry. Steve...
Next thing you know they will tell us that we are unorganized, we just have a different way of doing things right guys.

Here is a good remedy for that problem buddy.My wife threw away an old pair of sandals I owned.I used them exclusivly to feed the dogs.They were battered and had duct tape on one of them,but if I stepped in doo-doo,rinsem off and good to go IOW no poo poo in the house.She couldnt stand the one with the duct tape on it,and one day while I was working she pictched them.I was kind of upset so I took my good sandals and wrapped them both with duct tape.She has never spoke a word about them.I only use them to feed the dogs.My point was taken.Dont throw away my stuff.;)

Back
Top Bottom