Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 PM
Supporter

Default Must see video for equinox users!

Looking at a tonal nuance on the Equinox . A must see video for ALL Nox users.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:27 AM

Beach hunter here.
I can't trust the ID with any target deeper than 4 inches.
I've dug good targets that started with a iron ID.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Supporter

Thanks for the input from the beach. My friend hunts the beach and has witnessed the same thing. So we got it on all sites .looking for a coin shooter to come forward.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:45 PM

One target I had this morning gave a short high tone.
When I got the coil over it to get an ID, it read in the negatives. It was about 6 inches down. When I got it out it read a solid 20.
Beach mode 2.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Supporter

Makes me ponder now, Ive had a couple high tones ID at 1 or 2 in my yard, and thought that was peculiar, so I passed on it. It shouldn't have high toned because the way they where set up.

I thought maybe it was falsing on iron. Perhaps I should go back out and find these and dig them to see whats going on.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

I'm gonna go back over a few areas for coin shooting. I've heard those types of tones with low I'd.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
Looking at a tonal nuance on the Equinox . A must see video for ALL Nox users.
Umm,, I not sure on this one?
"Tonal Nuance".

Howdy, Calabash D,
May I firstly congratulate you on your videos, and your overwhelming enthusiasm for this wonderful hobby! , both you and David,TN Sharpshooter, surely deserve a medal for all your input/ and tips on the Equinox, cheers & thumbs up,, from the UK.

However isn't quite a simple answer that these tonal nuances your describing, are the fact that your using 5 or perhaps 50 tones, and the iron audio response somehow leaks into your target? (not good at describing this).... I found exactly what your describing using,, 5 or 50 tones myself initially.

I now got over 80 hours on my nox 800 and I can honestly say that 2 tones for me, is the easiest tonal setting for good target recognition, with no "bleed" from the lower iron tones.
Here in the UK , I dig every positive target ID of 1 or above,,we have to, so many good Finds can give a ID of 1 on the Nox, yes , sadly coke falls into this ID, but so does iron age brooches etc,
I personally found that using 2 tones doesn't give this anomaly, using my 2 tone setting.

Here goes..
No doubt,I'm going to get a lot of flak from this, but this is what I've come up with.........LOL.

1. Hearing iron whilst detecting with the Nox....NOPE...(See page 43 of Equinox manual, "in trash or iron infested locations, set tone volume of the ferrous tone region to zero) This in my opinion is completely overlooked by most Nox users! However so very important!
2. Now with the Nox in 2 tones,,, and iron tone (1) switched to zero, Nox is a completely different machine! , vastly reduced false information on iffy targets, much more stability, easier to register good/desirable targets.
3. Can one still ID iron targets? ... yes you can,, if Nox is giving a chopped/ sputtering sound,, walk on. 2tones will always sound clean tone, maybe not from all 4 directions, but certainly from 2 directions. Also pay attention to the ID numbers, minus numbers showing, with a chopped audio sound, almost always iron!
4. "Iron Bias".... use this to your advantage! the default setting of zero I found is useless here in the U.K., especially on highly contaminated Roman sites, using levels of 2/3 seem to be fine, ( max of 3 I've found) this again using a setting of 2/3 calms the Nox down, all to are advantages!
5. Sensitivity... don't get carried away with this, I never go above 21,, sometimes as low as 18 I found is perfectly acceptable.
6. Ground Balance, I've found setting the Nox to "tracking ground Balance works perfectly, normally running around 40/48 most of the time.
7. Recovery speed,, again a big advantage to use the user, don't fall into the trap of using a low recovery speed will gain more depth in iron sites,, NOPE, higher speeds of recovery will help in iron infested areas, much less false signals using speeds of say 5/6 , I try not to go above 6!

For the record,,
Here's my settings for the 800.

2 Tones.
Noise cancel, as per instructions
Ground Balance ......Tracking
Main volume .....24
Tone volume..... Tone 1.......zero
Tone 2 .......... 25
Threshold level........ 0
Target tone ........2
Target pitch ...tone1...... 1........ tone 2........ 20
Accept/reject -9 to 0
+1to 40
Recovery speed 5 or 6
Iron bias 2 or 3 (max of 3, real trashy sites)
Sensitivity.. 19, 20 21, (no higher than 21)

Hope this helps,,

Regards
Dave.H

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:40 PM
Supporter

The video is about being careful to not pass on targets . People are using the horse shoe button to check targets to see if they are iron. We have witnessed the machine giving iron buzz on non ferrous targets with horse shoe on. Some will pass on those targets thinking they are iron.

As far as hunting with the horse shoe on ,I do because im looking for habitation.

I don't ignore point 1 of your post I just use the iron vol as a tool . I have my iron vol set on 1...

I will have to check point 2 out. Thanks for the input.

Point 6 of your post interest me though. I have always been afraid of a tracking ground balance in heavy iron. I have always thought the machine would track to the iron....?????