• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Colonial Corn Field

FoxW

So I went detecting in an old corn field by my house. I hit one section of the field the first day for a few hours and found a few old buttons but that was it. Went back the next morning and got into a hot spot. In a matter of 2 hours, I popped 17 flat buttons, a 1797 and 1798 Large Cent, 2 KG IIIs (one toasted), and a Conn. Copper Variety Miller 2.1a, which turns out to be R3 rarity. I've found KG III coins and a Conn. Copper before, but never ones in this good of condition. This of course was while I was back home in NY. Now I'm back down in upstate SC and I have no permissions and no leads, so as you can imagine I'm pretty depressed. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 478
  • LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 458
  • KG.jpg
    KG.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 474
  • KG2.jpg
    KG2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 458
  • CC.jpg
    CC.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 449
  • CC2.jpg
    CC2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 435
So I went detecting in an old corn field by my house. I hit one section of the field the first day for a few hours and found a few old buttons but that was it. Went back the next morning and got into a hot spot. In a matter of 2 hours, I popped 17 flat buttons, a 1797 and 1798 Large Cent, 2 KG IIIs (one toasted), and a Conn. Copper Variety Miller 2.1a, which turns out to be R3 rarity. I've found KG III coins and a Conn. Copper before, but never ones in this good of condition. This of course was while I was back home in NY. Now I'm back down in upstate SC and I have no permissions and no leads, so as you can imagine I'm pretty depressed. Let me know what you think!
That is super cool! Great Great find!
What was the reading that made you say "hmm this could be interesting"?

That is super cool! Great Great find!
What was the reading that made you say "hmm this could be interesting"?

Thanks! I hadn't had any nice signals like that in the field yet, and I've dug plenty of Largies and old coppers so I had high hopes it was something good. Then every one after that I pretty much knew right away. I pretty much dug everything with a VDI of 40 or higher, and dug very little trash and a lot of good buttons and coins! It was awesome

Very nice, cornfields can be very lucrative (if you know which ones) and I think you do!!

Congrats!

Huge Congrats on those sweet finds!!!!! Hunt of a life time which you may not be able to repeat...... I know how you feel been to several places like that which makes it hard to come home and hunt tot lots......

Iron Patch, you definitely may be right, and I sure hope you are. The field I found that in was only about 20-25 minutes away from the mill in Newburgh NY, so that would be not only an awesome piece of history in general, but an awesome local piece. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention!

Iron Patch, you definitely may be right, and I sure hope you are. The field I found that in was only about 20-25 minutes away from the mill in Newburgh NY, so that would be not only an awesome piece of history in general, but an awesome local piece. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention!

The tough part is determining what reverse you have... but in person you might be able to tell. The obverse was used on all three varieties I listed, so to know what variety you have you have to know which reverse. Luckily two varieties read different so even a one letter match (with your coin and the one you're comparing to) will either confirm your variety or eliminate one, and you're left to choose between two. I just can't see enough detail in the pic to say.

The tough part is determining what reverse you have... but in person you might be able to tell. The obverse was used on all three varieties I listed, so to know what variety you have you have to know which reverse. Luckily two varieties read different so even a one letter match (with your coin and the one you're comparing to) will either confirm your variety or eliminate one, and you're left to choose between two. I just can't see enough detail in the pic to say.

I'm pretty sure its the Vlack 12-78B from what I can see. Thanks again for everything!

Back
Top Bottom