Can you identify these?

DigginLikeADog

Can anyone identify these? Found in a creek in the bottom of a deep ravine. Reading 80-89 on my ATPro.. possibly raw silver?

Attachments

• IMG_4757.jpg
    IMG_4757.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 369
Thought maybe it was aluminum.. remains of a pump house a bit further up.

Don't listen to those kill-joy folks like semtav, cfmct, and CT-curt : Those are platinum nuggets ! They just want to raid your site and find more platinum for themselves ! Sssshhhh, don't tell them you're on to their dirty little tricks! :laughing:

Don't listen to those kill-joy folks like semtav, cfmct, and CT-curt : Those are platinum nuggets ! They just want to raid your site and find more platinum for themselves ! Sssshhhh, don't tell them you're on to their dirty little tricks! :laughing:

:laughing: that stuff is also great for nosy people who want to know what you're finding. i know of more than a few people (kids mainly) who have left the beach with a nice shiny "silver nugget" in their hand, courtesy of the treasure hunter. :giggle: ;)

:laughing: that stuff is also great for nosy people who want to know what you're finding. i know of more than a few people (kids mainly) who have left the beach with a nice shiny "silver nugget" in their hand, courtesy of the treasure hunter. :giggle: ;)

You are so cruel.

Hey, how about this: Next person who comes up and starts in with "do you ever find anything good?" and "how deep does it go?", you pull out some of those silver & platinum nuggets. Offer them for sale at a mere $100 each. WHAT A BARGAIN !

Read a newspaper article about a house burning down that had silver coins stashed away. These coins melted into blobs. I usually bring home these that are heavy (not aluminum) and test them with metal test kit solutions to be sure they aren't silver or platinum. You just never know, until you do know.

Read a newspaper article about a house burning down that had silver coins stashed away. These coins melted into blobs. I usually bring home these that are heavy (not aluminum) and test them with metal test kit solutions to be sure they aren't silver or platinum. You just never know, until you do know.

Hey I figured it wouldn't hurt it bring them back and test! Sure better to find out than always wonder. They show up in this creek for miles, can't help but raise an eyebrow.

... These coins melted into blobs. ....

... I figured it wouldn't hurt it bring them back and test!....

The temperature of a fire, and length-of-burn time, to turn silver or gold coins into un-recognizable blobs, would have to be something very intense ! I know some guys who have found coin-blobs from residential fires like you speak of (or old-town demolition where fires burned down neighborhoods following the 1906 quake, etc...). And in those situations, there was still a recognizable portion of the coin evident. Eg.: you could make out a reeded edge sticking out of the 3 or 4 coins fused/blobbed together, etc... I suppose it's possible to have a fire SO intense and SO long, that it makes an un-recognizable blob.

But .... If a person is hunting the beach where beach bonfires are allow, or campgrounds/river-sides where BBQ pits abound, then the odds of anyone's "blobs" being anything other than aluminum nuggets, is going to be a million to 1.

But if someone thinks there's a chance, I got a ton of blobs I'll sell you. :p

I find these things all the time and they ring up great on the CTX as well. I know they are just molten aluminum but I still pretend that its silver so I feel better at the end of the day :P

Tom_in_CA

I agree that it's a long shot to ever have a "blob" be something other than Aluminum or Lead, but since I have the chemicals, I test them before I throw them away.

By the way, the newspaper article said the guy that found the "blobs" of silver brought them to the bank and deposited them. Newspaper was from 1870's.

Back
Top Bottom