Overwhelmed by the F75

Semtav

Elite Member
OK, its not quite how it sounds. I don't have one yet, so I'm not overwhelmed by its operation (yet)

What I am overwhelmed by is which one for my needs is best.I will probably ( but not necessarily) be buying used so there are more options.
Ive read different reviews but still not sure of anything . Can anyone thats really familiar with them run down the different models and pros and cons?
I want on with boost. so first which ones DON"T have boost.
secondly I've heard dst cuts down on depth, even when disabled. Is that true and how much.

First most of my hunting is out in the open. I very seldom have had emi issues with my MXT
I like to hunt old homesteads fairgrounds and occasionly parks for old coins. everything else is just extra finds but my real goal is old coins.

I have no idea how mineralized our soil is since my MXT doesnt tell me ( I think.) but i can run the gain to almost the max.

Lastly, how do I tell what each one has if I'm buying used and the seller it says it has boost and never been upgraded to dst, how can I tell.

this Vid was an excellent tutorial on its use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYQhiiKYx4Q

Any help would be appreciated

OK, its not quite how it sounds. I don't have one yet, so I'm not overwhelmed by its operation (yet)

What I am overwhelmed by is which one for my needs is best.I will probably ( but not necessarily) be buying used so there are more options.
Ive read different reviews but still not can anyone thats really familiar with them run down the different models and pros and cons?
I want on with boost. so first which ones DON"T have boost.
secondly I've heard dst cuts down on depth, even when disabled. Is that true and how much.

First most of my hunting is out in the open. I very seldom have had emi issues with my MXT
I like to hunt old homesteads fairgrounds and occasionly parks for old coins. everything else is just extra finds but my real goal is old coins.

I have no idea how mineralized our soil is since my MXT doesnt tell me ( I think.) but i can run the gain to almost the max.

Lastly, how do I tell what each one has if I'm buying used and the seller it says it has boost and never been upgraded to dst, how can I tell.

this Vid was an excellent tutorial on its use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYQhiiKYx4Q

Any help would be appreciated

DST upgraded units have a process called fast audio,,non upgraded unit don't.

For hunting in towns both big and small,,,DST unit far better choice vs non DST unit.

If hunting more rural,,a non DST unit may be okay,,but Inwould personally go DST route.

As far as depth,,,non DST units are deeper,,not by a large margin,,,a per own needs to realize to get this extra depth a user has to be able to run high ssensitivty and low disc on the non DST unit,,and pray it's quiet enough so you can tell head from tails what is under your coil.

So on paper non DST unit deeper,,but in reality in the field out detecting,,the DST unit can actually be deeper than non DST unit.

The above info pertains to running units in disc mode.

If we talk about all metal,,the non DST units are substantially deeper than DST units.

It will IMO take a longer period to learn and get proficient with non DST unit vs DST unit.

Also fast audio on DST unit,,,does offer better separation and unmasking vs non DST units.
Fast audio process is depth limited moreso vs other processes on DST u its but still gives some additional capability.

As far as turning DST on or off on a DST unit,,depth differences here small,,nothing to get overly excited about.

And a person can't base how another detector will run emi wise,,,base on on how quiet another different model unit runs. There can or there could not be similarities depending on the environment used.

Hope this helps.

Just a suggestion but you might want to check into an F70, or more to the point a new Patriot at about $400 new.
Can't say for sure but first reports coming in say that the Patriot seems quieter than the F70 at higher settings...FTP is known to tweak things a bit without telling anybody and they might have done this on the Patriot
No DST but they might have learned some things and incorporated some of it into the new model, shielding, programming...something.
I have no idea if this is true but something might be different.

As it is both have boost, the F70 always did and it is called SL speed and I use it.
My F70 can be a noisy cuss if I blast up the settings but it can be quiet too if I choose and still get deep.
I have reached 15" on targets in good soil with relatively quiet operation and the gain and thresh maxed...but no boost.
I have learned to hunt both ways using boost and without and have found incredible treasure in some of the noisiest EMI saturated sites you have ever seen using both high and lower settings.
I have never been shut out of any site anywhere at any time.
I have never used any unit with DST and never felt hamstrung because I never had it...but that is me and I am a real outside the box thinker regarding settings and how I use them to my advantage.

Then again there might be features on the F75 you want that these units don't possess but just throwing this info out there for you to consider.

I have an un modded F 75 and I nicknamed it Jittery Joe because it is jumpy and noisey. My wife is a great hunter with her Cibola but I am thinking of buying her a T2 Classic. Have you looked at those ? They are cheap or the Patriot , you can buy a Patriot for 350 if you shop around. I believe thee may be a rebate or something on that one . A Patriot is a re badged Fisher F 70

You are correct about the Patriot being the same detector as the Fisher F-70.

The Patriot, like all three of the AmeriTek brand detectors, is only available directly from Teknetics. Everybody gets the same price. If you use a discount coupon code, you get $50 off and free shipping - making ot $399. You can get a code from your deale, or directly on the Teknetics direct website.

Thanks. I'm thinking of buying a Patriot this fall for a neighbor who just got started. But I think I will go with the f75.

He is my take.

Boost is for bringing out those deep signals. You can hunt in that mode but All Metal is best by far mode to hunt in.

DST is never really off, runs about 20% when on normal non dst mode. I loved my F75 without the dst, but depth issues are not a problem.

You have a 2 tone option that makes all modes very easy to hunt in.

F75 is a fast, deep, sensitive machine. Very light and easy on batterys.

The MXT in Prospecting mode gives a ground phase read out.

Thanks AF, I'll check it out.

Boost is for bringing out those deep signals. You can hunt in that mode but All Metal is best by far mode to hunt in.

DST is never really off, runs about 20% when on normal non dst mode. I loved my F75 without the dst, but depth issues are not a problem.

You have a 2 tone option that makes all modes very easy to hunt in.

F75 is a fast, deep, sensitive machine. Very light and easy on batterys.

Thanks Rawhide, I'm on hold until it rains, but definitely on my list.

I've seen a couple F75's advertised lately pretty cheap. They show the box that says 75th anniversary Special Edition. but one had says it has no boost or cache. They both have the gold stem. Are these really without boost??

OK, did a little more looking, I'm looking for the F75 LTD 2, not the SE, is that right if I want boost ?

I've seen a couple F75's advertised lately pretty cheap. They show the box that says 75th anniversary Special Edition. but one had says it has no boost or cache. They both have the gold stem. Are these really without boost??

OK, did a little more looking, I'm looking for the F75 LTD 2, not the SE, is that right if I want boost ?

Keep it simple. Get the black one and you're good to go. It's got everything.

I just picked up the F75 gold stem with DST.
Quite honestly I don't see myself ever upgrading unless I decide I need waterproof.
Fast, deep and I'm a noob !
I was finding clad going in the same spot that a guy hit last week with his whites.

Back
Top Bottom