AT Pro Settings...What Do You Use?

Big Bear

I am still trying to get the hang of my AT Pro and have tried various settings hoping to get some consistancy out of the sounds, depth, and sensitivity. Watched the videos, read the forums, and the instruction book and I have shared several evenings together. What are others finding that works well?

Currently, I am using Pro Custom, with 50, 55 and 70 and above left on, and sensitivity set at three less than full. Only been able to spend about three hours as I have been dodging snowstorms and a cold rain while making holes in my yard. What are other finding for their favorite or most common settings for (silver) coins?

Thanks in advance for sharing! I know many of us are in the same situation as we try to further the learning curve on this great detector.

I run mine on pro zero, iron 35 and sensitivity 2 bars from max. havent found any silvers yet with it but did pull a buffalo

I run mine Pro Zero with Iron 31-32 full sensitivity where I'm able and iron audio off but use it to check iffy bouncy targets.

Pro zero, Iron 32 & Sens 2 bars from top.. Don't forget to do a good ground balance & make sure theres no targets in the spot where you ground balance it.. If theres silver in the ground this machine will find it..:)

I run mine Pro Zero with Iron 31-32 full sensitivity where I'm able and iron audio off but use it to check iffy bouncy targets.

+ 1

I run mine exactly the same way. Sometimes I do try to run a little negative on the ground balance if the soil permits.

G2M

PRO zero, iron 35, 5 bar sens. iron audio off

sensitivity depends on ground area and surroundings.

I run mine in Pro Zero mode, Iron disc. at 35-40, Sens. at full or one bar less, Iron Audio on most of the time with nothing notched out. I will run my ground balance either + or - depending on the situation. I strictly relic hunt but do find quite a few coins with these settings. I have had the ATP for about 2 months so I am still learning it but I can tell you it does pretty good in trashy places..................Wild Bill

"Digging up" this old post, because I had a question in relation. Most of those who replied said they ran it in Pro Zero with disc in the 30's. Is this the same as running it in Pro Custom with disc in the 30's? If I recall, isn't Custom just to be able to save your settings? Do people just say Pro Zero, so the reader knows that they don't have any notches discriminated? Probably a silly question, and I think I already know the answer, but I'd figure I'd ask anyway, and clear the confusion. I, by the way, am currently running in Pro Custom (Though I guess it's the same settings as zero) with 35 iron disc, and 2 notches below max sensitivity. I use iron audio only once I've found a target that interests me, otherwise I leave it off, because that low sporadic buzzing drives me up the wall after about 20 minutes.

Sphere

"Digging up" this old post, because I had a question in relation. Most of those who replied said they ran it in Pro Zero with disc in the 30's. Is this the same as running it in Pro Custom with disc in the 30's? If I recall, isn't Custom just to be able to save your settings? Do people just say Pro Zero, so the reader knows that they don't have any notches discriminated? Probably a silly question, and I think I already know the answer, but I'd figure I'd ask anyway, and clear the confusion. I, by the way, am currently running in Pro Custom (Though I guess it's the same settings as zero) with 35 iron disc, and 2 notches below max sensitivity. I use iron audio only once I've found a target that interests me, otherwise I leave it off, because that low sporadic buzzing drives me up the wall after about 20 minutes.

Sphere

You are correct I meant pro custom...:grin:

After several tests in the field for the past year or so I've been running my iron disc set at 26, sens 1 bar from max.. I get to much falseing on full max, iron audio off..turn on only to check iffy targets or to find a large concentration of iron or nails when I get to a new site that I want to pin point its exact location, pro zero is a bit deeper but way to noisy for my taste..

Sphere

Quoting myself here.. heh. I just re-read the section in the manual, and noticed that custom is defaulted to coin mode, so that WOULDN'T be what I was referring to. Custom does save your settings, but I have my set at 35 disc, no notches disced, 2 from max sensitivity, and iron audio to verify targets.

Ya I don't notch anything either, I've had it in custom mode so long that I forgot it's set just like the coin mode with stuff notched out...:lol:

I run pretty much the same as irons, wide open in pro zero, full sensitivity, nothing notched, iron audio off. I have run it this way since day one. Full throttle just like my Harley!

I run mine with nothing notched, sens as far as I can stand the noise(most of the time 1-2 away from max) and in pro zero.

Pro zero, Iron 32 & Sens 2 bars from top.. Don't forget to do a good ground balance & make sure theres no targets in the spot where you ground balance it.. If theres silver in the ground this machine will find it..:)

Same here. I change the Sens from 3 bars to one from max depending on the trash level.

It takes a bit of practice to become good. I've been using my ATP almost daily for weeks and don't concider myself there yet.

If you are coin shooting try standard coin mode and switch to pro coin when you hit a target. You can learn the tones in both modes and then pay attention to the indicator and vdi to learn what each coin reads.

The ring I recently found, in Pro Zero, full sensitivity, was at 4 inches read as a .50 coin and hit 87-90 on the vdi. Soil will be different where you are so you will need to check th ground balance.

Definitely agree with everyone that Pro Zero is the way to go. Also do not forget to do the ground balancing everytime you change locations. I thought it would always be the same since unless i like leave the state but it changes quite a bit at different locations sometimes. I also learned alot about my AT Pro from watching nuggetnoggin's videos on youtube. He is really a relic hunter but he has found some amazing coins as well. Also learned alot from aquachigger hunting lakes and streams and his BEST COIN DAY EVER video makes me ill and severely jealous lol. But i have found a lot of help with the AT Pro from watching their videos and doing what they do. - Just some friendly advice

Update to original post

It has been interesting to see this old post brought back to life these past couple weeks. Thanks for the advice and the interest! Since the original post I have logged likely near 200 hours of use and found that, indeed, the Pro settings have been the way to go. I have learned to not discriminate anything and run a notch or two from full sensitivity most of the time. Ground balancing is a must, though I admit I occasionally will detune a couple of numbers downward. I am still using the original coil but am considering purchasing a smaller one due to the heavy iron targets in my normal hotspots and the stories of success that members have shared.

I think I managed several hundred dollars of clad this past year with very little silver. I have found a bit of jewelry and some interesting other historic items. Currently much snow and frozen conditions limit the willingness to venture ouside but hoping by the end of February the detecting season might begin here in Eastern Oregon. Hoping the nice people at Garrett will give my machine a thorough once over as I began to suspect some falsing late last summer. Going on two weeks now with no word from them. Hoped for better but expected several weeks.

I'm quite envious of those who can continue to get outdoors during the winter months. Happy hunting to all and thanks for the continued tales and advice!

Hoping the nice people at Garrett will give my machine a thorough once over as I began to suspect some falsing late last summer. Going on two weeks now with no word from them. Hoped for better but expected several weeks.

Did you fill out the instruction sheet and send it in or just contact them?
I just sent one of mine in with the coil and the instruction sheet yesterday.
It had a hard summer and went erratic if bumped a good one.

I didn't call them or anything.

Back
Top Bottom