New E-Trac

Diggerjonny

Elite Member
On my quest to find older deeper coins, I came across a deal on this machine. I hear great things about this machine. Any help would be great. Happy Hunting. Jon.

On my quest to find older deeper coins, I came across a deal on this machine. I hear great things about this machine. Any help would be great. Happy Hunting. Jon.

Get your feet wet using auto sensitivity.
Deeper stuff manual sensitivity better odds finding.

Factory patterns like the coin might not allow to to get the deep stuff. Or even some coins being somewhat masked by ferrous items.
You’ll have to open pattern up on the bottom.

Ground balance- you don’t have to worry with that. It’s automatic all the time.
Noise cancel before using.
Slower sweep.

Once you get the hang of recognizing iron falses you are off to the races.
ID of higher conductive coins in USA read typically 38 and higher conductive reading in meter.
Look around and you can find ID charts for coins.
Will help you.

Cheers.
Nice rig no doubt.
I still have one.

Get your feet wet using auto sensitivity.
Deeper stuff manual sensitivity better odds finding.

Factory patterns like the coin might not allow to to get the deep stuff. Or even some coins being somewhat masked by ferrous items.
You’ll have to open pattern up on the bottom.

Ground balance- you don’t have to worry with that. It’s automatic all the time.
Noise cancel before using.
Slower sweep.

Once you get the hang of recognizing iron falses you are off to the races.
ID of higher conductive coins in USA read typically 38 and higher conductive reading in meter.
Look around and you can find ID charts for coins.
Will help you.

Cheers.
Nice rig no doubt.
I still have one.

"You’ll have to open pattern up on the bottom."

Great advice.

I love it. Great machine for fields and hunted out parks if looking for deep silvers. Also good at old farmhouses with lots of ferrous trash, but you must swing slow. Only machine I have used where you can tell clad from silver, which is important to me.

The secret sauce on settings are response long, sizing pinpointing, and the one that makes the response the same regardless of depth (don't remember the name of that one). Once you get used to it, you will know the depth, size, and composition of the target with decent reliability (for high response targets, not speaking of gold rings here), and rarely dig falses.

I throw a big coil on it (Detech Ultimate 13 in my case), and it seems to work quite well.

Negatives off the top of my head: its heavy, not balanced well so you have to be in pretty decent shape if you want to hunt for several hours. Not waterproof. Not a good choice for wet sand/saltwater, and can struggle a bit in heavy mineralized ground.

HTH

I did the same for awhile which will help you to get to know the signals.
Going low and slow really helped though and I could tighten up the discrimination pattern. I think I ended up going with the trashy park program slightly modified to allow more in the nickel range to come in. I highly reccommend this.

I’m running stock coin program,slight tweaks. Open up to 23 or 24. Having a hard time with iron falsing. I’m trying to listen first then look at screen. Running auto + 3 to start with.

Keep going you’ll get the hang of iron falsing.
Couple things.
Turn on targets does signal go away?
You can stick shovel in ground and just pry small amount, resweep iron false will go away many times.
When you sweep how consistent based on exactly where coil is when signal sounds ?. Iron will many times be more sporadic and many times will report on slightly different points onnthe ground.

You’ll eventually develop your own mental checklist to expose iron (iron false). Practice makes perfect. Pinpoint can help sometimes too expose the big stuff.
Once you get over some nice higher conductors in iron you’ll definitely see (and hear) the differences.

Will a pro with Etrac dig occasional iron? Yep.

Last thing here for now.
Cursor behavior on screen.
This is key for advanced use of Etrac.
Try and pay attention to its behavior on your detected targets.

Keep going you’ll get the hang of iron falsing.
Couple things.
Turn on targets does signal go away?
You can stick shovel in ground and just pry small amount, resweep iron false will go away many times.
When you sweep how consistent based on exactly where coil is when signal sounds ?. Iron will many times be more sporadic and many times will report on slightly different points onnthe ground.

You’ll eventually develop your own mental checklist to expose iron (iron false). Practice makes perfect. Pinpoint can help sometimes too expose the big stuff.
Once you get over some nice higher conductors in iron you’ll definitely see (and hear) the differences.

Will a pro with Etrac dig occasional iron? Yep.

Last thing here for now.

Thank you for the input.

Last thing here for now.

Very true. Up and down bounce is good. Left to right bounce not as good. Over the top bounce not good (ie, FE of 01), unless the target is a big silver. Other clues, experience, and knowledge of the site should help you on those.

That said, I've dug silvers at a reading of 35-50, and even wrote an article about this several years ago. When it is very deep, you just never know.

I think the following is the best way to look at it. When determining deep silver vs iron, don't think of it as a yes/no question, but a probability question. Like, ok, its 60% likely that this target is silver. Making this guess will come with experience.

Then, set your mental threshold as to what probability you are willing to dig. For me, this is based on my energy level on the day, softness of the dirt, what the site has been giving up so far, and so forth, but, in general, it falls at about 40%. If the site is giving up mostly iron on these, I raise it. If it is giving up the shiny on these, I'll lower it to 20% or so. You will miss silvers with this approach, but I think, overall, it is an efficient way to look at the problem, and will be a win with more silvers in the long run, unless you are a physical fitness machine that can dig every target in 3 seconds.

HTH

Very true. Up and down bounce is good. Left to right bounce not as good. Over the top bounce not good (ie, FE of 01), unless the target is a big silver. Other clues, experience, and knowledge of the site should help you on those.

That said, I've dug silvers at a reading of 35-50, and even wrote an article about this several years ago. When it is very deep, you just never know.

I think the following is the best way to look at it. When determining deep silver vs iron, don't think of it as a yes/no question, but a probability question. Like, ok, its 60% likely that this target is silver. Making this guess will come with experience.

Then, set your mental threshold as to what probability you are willing to dig. For me, this is based on my energy level on the day, softness of the dirt, what the site has been giving up so far, and so forth, but, in general, it falls at about 40%. If the site is giving up mostly iron on these, I raise it. If it is giving up the shiny on these, I'll lower it to 20% or so. You will miss silvers with this approach, but I think, overall, it is an efficient way to look at the problem, and will be a win with more silvers in the long run, unless you are a physical fitness machine that can dig every target in 3 seconds.

HTH

Great advice! The site I mainly hunt has lots of iron, been in use last 200 years. I m not afraid to dig it all here. Happy Hunting

Back
Top Bottom