Ole Calabash Bashes Legend Again

jmaclen

Elite Member
So, I do things like read the manual.....sometimes like in the case of the Legend multiple times and I need to read it multiple more times. According to Nokta Makro, the official, final, absolute done Legend manual is still months away from being finished. So more reading.

Ole Calabash bashes the Legend in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XHZn6WQK1s

He is making many recommendations to Nokta Makro for improvements to the iron bias like he is the only one that has noticed this.....

He and TNSS are trying to help Nokta Makro by determining where the fixed iron bias setting is on the Legend compared to the Equinox......(Iffy did that back in January by the way in his famous iron bias video that finally got Nokta Makro engineering to admit there was a need for adjustable settings, when he said on camera that he thought the Legend was set at the equivalent of Equinox setting 5 or 6 which is the default for the 800)

So, Calabash quote......"This Ferro-Check is a gimmick"

Most importantly however, all of this issue, problem, gotta tell Nokta Makro right now, holy cow.........it is based mostly on USER ERROR!

I have been using the Legend now for 5 weeks. I know when I am over a shallow or fairly deep bottle cap about 90% of the time. Like I said I have repeatedly read the manual and I often hunt in areas that are a carpet of steel crown bottle caps sometimes.

So, here is what the current manual shows and says about how to use the Ferro Check feature.

Link to the manual....FerroCheck pages 13-14

https://www.noktadetectors.com/wp-content/file-download/the-legend/the-legend-user-manual-en.pdf

First thing, in the manual where it has a graphic depiction of the display for using Ferro-Check, the discrimination pattern is A=all target IDs accepted. I don't always hunt like that due to ground noise in my area from iron mineralization, so I hunt in G=ground noise rejected which discs out the two lowest target IDs 1 and 2. But I can still hear iron responses with setting of G.

So from the manual
Correct Usage of the FerroCheck

blah blah blah....please pay close attention to the instructions below.

1. You MUST sweep the coil with a large angle over the target and make wide scans. Make sure that the search coil leaves the signal completely during sweeps.

2. You must go around the target and swing the coil over it from different angles with long sweeps.

3. The ferrous side does not need to fill up completely. More than 2 bars is enough to identify a target as an alloy containing iron.

In my opinion, pre-number 1 should say.....put the discrimination pattern on A or G (or at least accept part of the iron target IDs in a Custom C pattern) and make sure the iron volume is turned up enough to hear it for your hunting conditions. Currently the iron volume default is setting 1 or 2 for Park, Field and Beach in version 1.07 (I could be wrong) I can barely hear the iron volume even with headphones on at those settings......

So Calabash User Error 1. He is using tiny center of the DD coil spine sweeps to determine if FerroCheck is a gimmick.

Calabash User Error 2. Discrimination pattern is set on C or F when I am able to see his Legend's display screen so iron is being totally rejected and the only way to know that the coil is over an iron target is to actually look at the FerroCheck meter which actually won't work anyway with those tiny Deus-like center of the coil swings.

Calabash User Error 3. Turning up the iron audio volume level for use in a Youtube video would be important especially if using the external speaker but with iron totally rejected it would not help.

So, setup like Calabash had it.....why did he do that by the way.......Legend and its FerroCheck feature will definitely FAIL.

I am sure TNSS will criticize me for nit picking. Hey, I didn't make these Legend Iron bias failure videos..........

Last edited:
Calabash And TNSS Are just air test button pushers ..There will never be a perfect detector ..Period ..Like Apples and Oranges .. I might like a Apple you might like a Orange
The N / M built the legend the way they think it should be built
The Minelab built the Equinox the way they think it should be built
The XP built the DEUS they way they think it should be built

That way WE THE PEOPLE / Detectorist can have a choice

Well you know they are reading this. Even though TNNSS says he blocked us , he couldn't help himself. You should get a response as I have. Lol

I have / had alot of detectors .. I always just use default in the modes .. I have found more than my shares of targets ..Good and bad .. It is like the White's DFX pushing buttons just to turn the detector on .. While you stand there pushing buttons I will be digging that ring up right there next to you .. I have done that before

The video actually supports what Calabash said in his video.
6” coil gets swamped.
Some folks may be thinking oh boy. Take a 6” coil into site and it should alert on everything shallower nonferrous wise. Things that using say a 9” or 11” coil won’t hit. Wrong!!!
And this is what Calabash’s video showed.

I have always wondered why did Xp launch Deus 1 with 9” coil. I think 11” coils came somewhat later.
So why 9” coil?

Here is something to try.
I don’t Know the answer to this.
Can I set up a nail(s) nonferrous coin 3 d scenario and make Deus 2 with 11” coil hit and the deus 2 with 9” coil can’t?
And wonder how long it would take to find such a configuration? Make take a while.
We already see it don’t take long to do using 11” coils and 6” coils using a Nox.

So, I do things like read the manual.....sometimes like in the case of the Legend multiple times and I need to read it multiple more times. According to Nokta Makro, the official, final, absolute done Legend manual is still months away from being finished. So more reading.

Ole Calabash bashes the Legend in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XHZn6WQK1s

He is making many recommendations to Nokta Makro for improvements to the iron bias like he is the only one that has noticed this.....

He and TNSS are trying to help Nokta Makro by determining where the fixed iron bias setting is on the Legend compared to the Equinox......(Iffy did that back in January by the way in his famous iron bias video that finally got Nokta Makro engineering to admit there was a need for adjustable settings, when he said on camera that he thought the Legend was set at the equivalent of Equinox setting 5 or 6 which is the default for the 800)

So, Calabash quote......"This Ferro-Check is a gimmick"

Most importantly however, all of this issue, problem, gotta tell Nokta Makro right now, holy cow.........it is based mostly on USER ERROR!

I have been using the Legend now for 5 weeks. I know when I am over a shallow or fairly deep bottle cap about 90% of the time. Like I said I have repeatedly read the manual and I often hunt in areas that are a carpet of steel crown bottle caps sometimes.

So, here is what the current manual shows and says about how to use the Ferro Check feature.

Link to the manual....FerroCheck pages 13-14

https://www.noktadetectors.com/wp-content/file-download/the-legend/the-legend-user-manual-en.pdf

First thing, in the manual where it has a graphic depiction of the display for using Ferro-Check, the discrimination pattern is A=all target IDs accepted. I don't always hunt like that due to ground noise in my area from iron mineralization, so I hunt in G=ground noise rejected which discs out the two lowest target IDs 1 and 2. But I can still hear iron responses with setting of G.

So from the manual
Correct Usage of the FerroCheck

blah blah blah....please pay close attention to the instructions below.

1. You MUST sweep the coil with a large angle over the target and make wide scans. Make sure that the search coil leaves the signal completely during sweeps.

2. You must go around the target and swing the coil over it from different angles with long sweeps.

3. The ferrous side does not need to fill up completely. More than 2 bars is enough to identify a target as an alloy containing iron.

In my opinion, pre-number 1 should say.....put the discrimination pattern on A or G (or at least accept part of the iron target IDs in a Custom C pattern) and make sure the iron volume is turned up enough to hear it for your hunting conditions. Currently the iron volume default is setting 1 or 2 for Park, Field and Beach in version 1.07 (I could be wrong) I can barely hear the iron volume even with headphones on at those settings......

So Calabash User Error 1. He is using tiny center of the DD coil spine sweeps to determine if FerroCheck is a gimmick.

Calabash User Error 2. Discrimination pattern is set on C or F when I am able to see his Legend's display screen so iron is being totally rejected and the only way to know that the coil is over an iron target is to actually look at the FerroCheck meter which actually won't work anyway with those tiny Deus-like center of the coil swings.

Calabash User Error 3. Turning up the iron audio volume level for use in a Youtube video would be important especially if using the external speaker but with iron totally rejected it would not help.

So, setup like Calabash had it.....why did he do that by the way.......Legend and its FerroCheck feature will definitely FAIL.

I am sure TNSS will criticize me for nit picking. Hey, I didn't make these Legend Iron bias failure videos..........

Well you know they are reading this. Even though TNNSS says he blocked us , he couldn't help himself. You should get a response as I have. Lol

I'd heard quoting makes it show.

But what do I know? :D

Btw,
I can even make a case.
Detector ops comparing different models with supposedly same size coils can behave different in tests for this reason.

Even though the coils are designated as say 6” coils, 9” or 11” coils.
Exactly how much are the windings spaced?
All we see is coil viewed from the external. And an external measurement of coil might not show true distances.
If we dissected and measured true distances we may find actual differences comparing coils advertised by different manufacturers to be 6”, 9” or even 11”.

Just a reminder, a smaller coil has less soil in the coil receiving signal so it is able to do a more accurate process on a target. Probably why Deus chose the 9" over the 11". Not that much difference in depth, better separation, soil handling, and signal processing.

Just a reminder, a smaller coil has less soil in the coil receiving signal so it is able to do a more accurate process on a target. Probably why Deus chose the 9" over the 11". Not that much difference in depth, better separation, soil handling, and signal processing.

Okay.
I’ll bite.
Ever check a 5 or 6” deep dime in high mineral soil. Solo sitting no ferrous nails, etc.
Which does better the 11” or 9” coil?
Even using Deus 2?
Or Deus 1?

The 11” coil usually does better.
Yet the 11” coil is dealing with more higher mineral soil.

Or even use a Nox on a 5” deep dime in high mineral soil. Compare 6” coil to 11” coil. Five inch deep dime is well within range of 6” coil in medium and mild soil.

Which coil IDs the dime better if both coils hit.
Or which coil hits and the other doesn’t.

I played around with Deus 1, CTX and F75 some years ago in 5 bars dirt. About 70 miles SSE of me.
Interesting to say the least.
F75 poor performance.
CTX better.
Deus 1 pretty good too vs F75.
Couple post about my excursion on Danksowki site somewhere. Maybe some video too. Video shot by my friend.
Made 2 visits to this site.

On this site with 5 bars dirt. Gent hit a belt plate few days before I arrived to site with blisstool detector.
I actually got on a target reading high with CTX few feet from where he found plate. He couldn’t believe. We dug. Deep aluminum can. Yeah. CTX could hit a target that big in that bad dirt. It won’t hit a quarter or dime sized target very deep either with nonferrous tone/reading.

Masking makes targets look smaller.
Goes for bad dirt, iron flakes, nails, etc,

Some folks may think. Oh I took Deus 2 and found a large cent in polluted site, thinking oh a coin that big about any detector would alert on. Wrong!!
The coin being that big could indeed be masked using other models detectors yet deus 2 might sniff out.
Yeah the Deus 2 snagged enough of coin to locate and dig. Albeit small what it latched onto.

Yeah unmasking/masking applies to bigger nonferrous, medium sized and smaller. Not just the coin sized stuff.

And here is something to consider.
A person may take Equinox, Deus 2 to a polluted site.
And find some things.
They may even find junk nonferrous.
And when they show some folks may frown on the junk nonferrous found.
Guess what.
These detectors will locate junk nonferrous other models can’t locate.

Yeah a pic of what is found can give wrong impression some times.
Person may think oh I don’t want that model cause the person using dug too much junk nonferrous.

Last edited:
In my soil, I find the 9" just as deep as the 11" but does a better job of being stable, and often goes deeper. It would be most noticeable on bad ground. My 9" being more stable alone allows me to run at a higher sensitivity.

Okay.
I’ll bite.
Ever check a 5 or 6” deep dime in high mineral soil. Solo sitting no ferrous nails, etc.
Which does better the 11” or 9” coil?
Even using Deus 2?
Or Deus 1?

The 11” coil usually does better.
Yet the 11” coil is dealing with more higher mineral soil.

Or even use a Nox on a 5” deep dime in high mineral soil. Compare 6” coil to 11” coil. Five inch deep dime is well within range of 6” coil in medium and mild soil.

Which coil IDs the dime better if both coils hit.
Or which coil hits and the other doesn’t.

I played around with Deus 1, CTX and F75 some years ago in 5 bars dirt. About 70 miles SSE of me.
Interesting to say the least.
F75 poor performance.
CTX better.
Deus 1 pretty good too vs F75.
Couple post about my excursion on Danksowki site somewhere. Maybe some video too. Video shot by my friend.
Made 2 visits to this site.

On this site with 5 bars dirt. Gent hit a belt plate few days before I arrived to site with blisstool detector.
I actually got on a target reading high with CTX few feet from where he found plate. He couldn’t believe. We dug. Deep aluminum can. Yeah. CTX could hit a target that big in that bad dirt. It won’t hit a quarter or dime sized target very deep either with nonferrous tone/reading.

Masking makes targets look smaller.
Goes for bad dirt, iron flakes, nails, etc,

Some folks may think. Oh I took Deus 2 and found a large cent in polluted site, thinking oh a coin that big about any detector would alert on. Wrong!!
The coin being that big could indeed be masked using other models detectors yet deus 2 might sniff out.
Yeah the Deus 2 snagged enough of coin to locate and dig. Albeit small what it latched onto.

Yeah unmasking/masking applies to bigger nonferrous, medium sized and smaller. Not just the coin sized stuff.

And here is something to consider.
A person may take Equinox, Deus 2 to a polluted site.
And find some things.
They may even find junk nonferrous.
And when they show some folks may frown on the junk nonferrous found.
Guess what.
These detectors will locate junk nonferrous other models can’t locate.

Yeah a pic of what is found can give wrong impression some times.
Person may think oh I don’t want that model cause the person using dug too much junk nonferrous.

THE KOB can't believe he is saying this ! Good post and I would have to agree about masking. But this I think belongs to a dig all mentally. Not just on a specific detector. So many times I have dug large deep targets such as a rusted tent stake , only to rescan the hole and find a coin or on a rare occasion , a gold ring. Which I never heard until I unmasked it. Admittedly this approach can be fruitless. But it has paid off going behind a Nox on the beach. Whether the D2 can see this better than other detectors IDK.

I didn't read all 7 pages of this thread, so the following may have been posted. The last line is EPIC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8BAxt1GaOI

It seems to me that with these types of tests, the the Nox, Legend, or D2 could be made to hit, OR miss the good target based on the position of the first tone break and/or the iron bias setting.

6” coil gets swamped.
Some folks may be thinking oh boy. Take a 6” coil into site and it should alert on everything shallower nonferrous wise. Things that using say a 9” or 11” coil won’t hit. Wrong!!!
And this is what Calabash’s video showed.

I have always wondered why did Xp launch Deus 1 with 9” coil. I think 11” coils came somewhat later.
So why 9” coil?

Here is something to try.
I don’t Know the answer to this.
Can I set up a nail(s) nonferrous coin 3 d scenario and make Deus 2 with 11” coil hit and the deus 2 with 9” coil can’t?
And wonder how long it would take to find such a configuration? Make take a while.
We already see it don’t take long to do using 11” coils and 6” coils using a Nox.

My Deus II 9 inch coil comes in soon. Just wait and I will "prove" that the 11" coil separates better than the 9" coil by abusing the principle stated in the video.

Exact target configuration matters and can produce non-linear results as you move objects closer to the 3 various sensitive parts on the coil.

The total distance of all ferrous objects from the 3 sensitive parts on the coil is what matters in separation, not just the distance of the ferrous objects from the desired target itself.

Speaking of confirmation bias....

THE KOB can't believe he is saying this ! Good post and I would have to agree about masking. But this I think belongs to a dig all mentally. Not just on a specific detector. So many times I have dug large deep targets such as a rusted tent stake , only to rescan the hole and find a coin or on a rare occasion , a gold ring. Which I never heard until I unmasked it. Admittedly this approach can be fruitless. But it has paid off going behind a Nox on the beach. Whether the D2 can see this better than other detectors IDK.

KOB,
I try to share info.
Info that may help folks.
Info that may help dispel some myths.
Lot of stuff posted on internet is mistakingly posted in error, and some times purposely posted in error.

So lot of different flavors of kool aid out there.
One has to be careful which flavor they drink these days.

I have read loads and loads. And applied lot of what I have read in the wild with VLF detectors.
Imo, best teacher ever thus far. Mr Dankowski with his writings and comments. No doubt about this in my mind.
Gent is sharp as a razor.
Problem is his talk is very technical and can turn folks off. Especially newer detectorists. It helps that I have some advanced electronics theory training/education so I can follow him maybe bit better than some folks can.
Don’t expect layman talk post by Mr Danksowki.

Lot of things I say on forums.
I wouldn’t even share if not for my findings lining up a great deal with what Mr Dankowski has said.
And this doesn’t infer I report only on detector models Mr Dankowski has reported on.
Don’t think he has run Deus 2 yet.
Or he doesn’t have one. He may have run on beach (someone else’s unit). I am unsure.
But I can apply lot of what inhave learned from him to do Deus 2 reporting for example.

KOB,
I try to share info.
Info that may help folks.
Info that may help dispel some myths.
Lot of stuff posted on internet is mistakingly posted in error, and some times purposely posted in error.

So lot of different flavors of kool aid out there.
One has to be careful which flavor they drink these days.

I have read loads and loads. And applied lot of what I have read in the wild with VLF detectors.
Imo, best teacher ever thus far. Mr Dankowski with his writings and comments. No doubt about this in my mind.
Gent is sharp as a razor.
Problem is his talk is very technical and can turn folks off. Especially newer detectorists. It helps that I have some advanced electronics theory training/education so I can follow him maybe bit better than some folks can.
Don’t expect layman talk post by Mr Danksowki.

Lot of things I say on forums.
I wouldn’t even share if not for my findings lining up a great deal with what Mr Dankowski has said.

True , I am one of those regarding Dankoski. To technical for me and I've been hunting a long time. He does know his stuff though. Problem is though TNNSS is that you also rely on CB far to much and posting every single link for the guy is over the top. But I get what you guys are doing. Just don't agree with it through this forum is all....

True , I am one of those regarding Dankoski. To technical for me and I've been hunting a long time. He does know his stuff though. Problem is though TNNSS is that you also rely on CB far to much and posting every single link for the guy is over the top. But I get what you guys are doing. Just don't agree with it through this forum is all....

Has anyone before Calabash showed Legend or deus 2 on wet salt beach depth tests after the updates? I haven’t seen.
Btw Legend far better with latest version on wet salt beach vs last viable 1.05 version.
So folks know have better idea of Legend.
And Deus 2 with new update.

Calabash told me his hotel room on beach cost I think either $250 or $300 a night.
He paid too.

So he shared some data.
And didn’t charge anyone a red cent.
Lot of members here who lurk and rarely post.
Maybe they don’t have a lot of money to spend on a detector and they want to beach hunt.
So now they have good option- Legend.

I think where we see the problem is some people don't believe "sharing info" is a two-way street. Because something works for you in a certain way doesn't mean it must for everyone else.

I went to master D's site long ago and dared to question his indisputable wisdom. We all understand that experience goes a long way to success for even a basic detector. I could take a BFO and go out and find coins because my experience has taught me what I need to know to accomplish this, but it would be irresponsible of me to recommend one to someone new to detecting. I dared to challenge the idea that his older analog detectors were superior to the new digital detector of the time simply because that is what he used. His fanboi's jumped on me like tics on a hound dog.

I've watched many of the Deus II vs Legend vs NOX 800 videos, and as of this last update, I feel they are all so close in ability one would be fine with any choice. Each does have its area of superior ability but not enough to tell me one is better than the other.

Folks can watch the videos.
And draw their own conclusions.
Buy what they want and hunt on beach the way they want.
Calabash never told anyone to buy detector Xxx.

It is not Calabash’s fault the detectors do some things better or even perhaps some things worse.
He didn’t make or engineer any of the detectors.
Neither did I.

Let’s put it this way.
Does it say in Deus 2 Manual.
Oh btw this detector capable of hitting gold rings at excessive depths. It may even detect a 16” Usa nickel in wet salt Sand using beach sensitive program.
No manual doesn’t say does it.
So a person wondering about Deus 2.
How will they find out.
Barring have a fiend buy Deus 2 and test and relay the info to them.
Even saying this the friend bought the detector in the blind not knowing how deep Deus 2 is in wet salt sand on lower conductors.

Imagine if Deus 2 would have debuted 25 years ago.
Would have took a long time for folks to find out about it wouldn’t it?
A treasure magazine might eventually reveal.
But what about folks not buying or reading treasure magazines?
And no detecting forums on internet. Or even no internet period for some folks.

I've watched many of the Deus II vs Legend vs NOX 800 videos, and as of this last update, I feel they are all so close in ability one would be fine with any choice. Each does have its area of superior ability but not enough to tell me one is better than the other.

Agreed, and with that, it comes down to cost, build quality, and customer support.

Back
Top Bottom