My thoughts on the XP Deus 2 after 50 hours.

Looks like it works well. I’m still running.7 , may update today if I get a chance.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

I really hope that people who’ve been considering a Deus 2 don’t decide not to try it due to all this bickering on the forum. I think they’d be doing themselves a disservice because it really is a great machine IMHO.

Today I increased my Deus 2 silver count to 12, with my 3rd quarter and my 2nd half for the weekend. The really neat thing is, these coins came from a local park that I’ve been detecting for years! They’re both Barbers dated 1897 & 1898, and they were within 2 ft of each other so probably a spill. They were both around 9-10” deep, and at least one was standing on edge.

The program I’ve been using lately is a modified version of my pitch coin shooting program that’s set up for silver shooting.

Base program: Fast

Notch everything up to 87. I leave a small window for nickels (59-64), but I only dig those signals if they’re deep. Don’t be afraid to disc out unwanted target ranges when coin shooting modern trash! Yes, you may miss some blended signals but the ability to quickly pick out deep keepers from sites littered with trash will more than make up for it.

Bottle cap rejection: 4

Audio Response: 4 or 5

Sensitivity: As high as your site allows. I was able to run at 99 today.

Reactivity: 1.5 with a slower sweep speed. I know this sounds counterproductive, lowering the reactivity in fast mode, but I’ve found that the fast frequency set hits coins on edge really well, and lowering the reactivity gets you some extra depth in cleaner ground. Of course you wouldn’t want to do this if hunting thick iron.

This program works great in modern trash because it allows me to ignore the shallow stuff that gives a loud snappy signal. What I listen for is the deeper signals which are very easy to spot using pitch tones because they’ll give a distinct “zip zip” sound as the coil passes over the target.

97adce9cc445ec0f0353995a86129f77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're thinking outside the box. That's where all the good finds usually are. Good job and good thread. I may buy one somewhere down the road. Just going to wait until the bugs are lined out. I'm also interested in what Minelab has up their sleeve but I'll only wait so long. Besides, my work this summer is going to slow any detecting I do down to a short hunt here and there (Out of state training for the most of 2 months). Hopefully in the fall it will slow down enough to get out. I'll be sure to save a vacation for the occasion.

Good job with the Deus 2

I really hope that people who’ve been considering a Deus 2 don’t decide not to try it due to all this bickering on the forum. I think they’d be doing themselves a disservice because it really is a great machine IMHO.

Today I increased my Deus 2 silver count to 12, with my 3rd quarter and my 2nd half for the weekend. The really neat thing is, these coins came from a local park that I’ve been detecting for years! They’re both Barbers dated 1897 & 1898, and they were within 2 ft of each other so probably a spill. They were both around 9-10” deep, and at least one was standing on edge.

The program I’ve been using lately is a modified version of my pitch coin shooting program that’s set up for silver shooting.

Notch everything up to 87. I leave a small window for nickels (59-64), but I only dig those signals if they’re deep. Don’t be afraid to disc out unwanted target ranges when coin shooting modern trash! Yes, you may miss some blended signals but the ability to quickly pick out deep keepers from sites littered with trash will more than make up for it.

Reactivity: 1.5 with a slower sweep speed. I know this sounds counterproductive, lowering the reactivity in fast mode, but I’ve found that the fast frequency set hits coins on edge really well, and lowering the reactivity gets you some extra depth in cleaner ground. Of course you wouldn’t want to do this if hunting thick iron.

This program works great in modern trash because it allows me to ignore the shallow stuff that gives a loud snappy signal. What I listen for is the deeper signals which are very easy to spot using pitch tones because they’ll give a distinct “zip zip” sound as the coil passes over the target.

Thanks for the information. I have your program setup and just need more hours/experience using it....

Sounds like you're thinking outside the box. That's where all the good finds usually are. Good job and good thread. I may buy one somewhere down the road. Just going to wait until the bugs are lined out. I'm also interested in what Minelab has up their sleeve but I'll only wait so long. Besides, my work this summer is going to slow any detecting I do down to a short hunt here and there (Out of state training for the most of 2 months). Hopefully in the fall it will slow down enough to get out. I'll be sure to save a vacation for the occasion.

Good job with the Deus 2

Thanks man. Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing what Minelab comes out with next. Hopefully whatever it is has some FBS DNA in there somewhere.

Thanks for the information. I have your program setup and just need more hours/experience using it....

No problem. Hope it works well for ya!

I'm looking forward to getting out and putting a couple more hours on mine this evening. I've had it for a little over two months now and am pretty impressed with it so far. In fact, the more I use it the more I like it.

Not including clad and a few V & Buffalo nickels, these are my Deus 2 finds so far:

Attachments

• D21.jpg
    D21.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 424
  • D22.jpg
    D22.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 391
All those old coins would make my day. Only thing that i have found is in early 1800, and it was found on a beach here in FL.

Rattlehead, I totally agree. Thank you for continuing to post your progress with Deus 2 and wonderful finds.......

The bickering on this and other forums is not about the outstanding or not Deus 2. It is a huge welcome upgrade to Deus 1, which is enough of a reason to buy one in my opinion.

The bickering is about people and our many imperfections, not those of Deus 2.

All those old coins would make my day. Only thing that i have found is in early 1800, and it was found on a beach here in FL.
A lot of it is just getting your coil over the target. I've been lucky enough to get on some good sites over the past few years. I hope that luck continues!
Great finds…
Thanks bud! :cheers:
Rattlehead, I totally agree. Thank you for continuing to post your progress with Deus 2 and wonderful finds.......

The bickering on this and other forums is not about the outstanding or not Deus 2. It is a huge welcome upgrade to Deus 1, which is enough of a reason to buy one in my opinion.

The bickering is about people and our many imperfections, not those of Deus 2.

Thanks man. I stopped reading all those threads a while back. Too much drama for me. :lol: I agree, the D2 has some really nice improvements over the D1. More stable, less falsing on iron and a much better ID, which allows me to use it in modern trash. I rarely ever used my D1 in trashy parks and places like that. It was basically limited to hunting older sites. The D2 is working great in modern trash.

Got out for about 3 hours Saturday and scored silvers #13 & #14 with the Deus 2. I’m feeling more and more confident with this detector. I stopped keeping track of how many hours I’ve got on it now but quite a few I’m sure. I’m finding that unlike the D1, it actually works really well for both modern trash and old sites. From what I’ve seen, it’s light years ahead of the original Deus on TID accuracy, stability, iron falsing, tone options and depth.

0396f2e146af6b0993249b49693b6ff3.jpg

I’ll continue to post updates on how I’m getting along with the D2 for those interested.

Checking in for my weekly update.

80f1b8f7bece338bb2eb694211e04b69.jpg

Last week I got 5 more silvers, bringing my total to 20 with the Deus 2 in the roughly 3 months that I’ve been using it. I’m pretty happy with that number considering I’m still learning the machine, and these didn’t come from fresh new permissions. Most came from public spots that have been hunted for years.

When I first used the D2, I thought it was OK. After putting 40-50 hours on it, I started to like it. Now, I’m actually starting to love it! So much so, that I’ve only used my CTX once since I got the D2. That’s saying a lot, since anyone who knows me, knows how much I love my 3030.

I think all of the D2 programs are good, but the fast program is something else! It’s the one I’ve been using most. I made some tweaks to improve depth and set up some notches for silver shooting. It’s been working great for me.

Rattlehead, thanks for taking the time and sharing your program. In your
personal opinion do you think the 800 would have missed those silvers you found ? Still on the fence. PM me if you don't want to start another debate. Like you I have quit watching and stayed out of those threads. I think they have made more negative publicity than did any value to the sales. Good luck and hope you stay on the silver train no matter what you're swingin. Mark

Hey thanks Mark. I don’t mind answering that question here, since it’s basically just going to be my opinion. Of course the only way to know for sure would be to compare both detectors on the same target. I wasn’t able to do that because I sold my Nox before getting my D2, but I’ll post my gut feeling on why I’m still pulling silver from spots that have been hunted hard. Yes, I think the Nox would’ve hit those coins. In my experience the ID on the Equinox was sort of all over the place. I’ve dug silver dimes with it that read as low as 23 and as high as mid 30s. The ID on the D2 seems a lot more consistent to me. So if I was silver shooting these spots with the Nox, I could’ve bypassed some of these due to a wonky ID which may have lead me to believe it was a penny. The D2 has another secret weapon which may help with snagging some tough signals. That would be the Fast program with pitch tones. Fast seems to sift through iron and trash very well, and the higher weighted frequencies seem to nail coins on edge better. Pitch tones really make tough signals jump out at you. Out of the box that program isn’t very deep, but dropping the recovery speed a little and bumping sensitivity up solves that problem. It still separates well with a lower recovery speed and pitch makes it really easy to go after only deeper signals without needing to watch a depth meter. Makes cherry picking older coins a breeze.

Time for my weekly finds update and a slight update to this review.

For the past 7 days I’ve been detecting for about 2 hours every afternoon after work. I’ve been using the Silver Slayer program. Last week I scored another 12 silvers bringing my D2 silver count to 32. These are all from public properties, mostly curb strips, some of which I’ve hit before. No new permissions.

6a13469869ce381ec343fe58d6718eac.jpg

Also scored a really cool old solid brass lock from Eagle Lock Co. This is actually my favorite find of the week.

94f1dfa5c1fd3b1f9d0ad8016f7ec56a.jpg

Now for the update to my review. I was hoping that I’d be able to edit the original post but unfortunately the edit time limit has expired, so I’ll just have to post updates in the thread.

Anyway, I want to revisit this part of my review:

I don't think the D2 will be replacing my CTX for selective digging or cherry-picking silver in modern trash. Even though you can definitely cherry pick with the D2, the 3030 just gives you so much accurate target info that I still think it’s going to reign supreme for that type of hunting. At least for me, and at least for now. 50 hours isn’t enough time to master this or any other detector IMHO, so it’s a little early to make that call. That’s the way I’m leaning though.

Ok, so I’ve had a slight change of heart. When I posted the above I was still very new to the D2 with only 50 hours under my belt. I now have hundreds of hours on it and a much better understanding of its capabilities. Set up properly, the Deus 2 can ABSOLUTELY cherry pick and coin shoot with the best of them. My silver count reflects that.

I’ve been using my CTX 3030 for a long time. I know that machine inside and out. Over the years I’ve used several other detectors including the original Deus and the Equinox 800. While all of them were good, none of them could dethrone my trusty CTX as my primary detector. Until now. I recently asked myself this question: if I could only keep one detector, which would it be? Surprisingly, the answer is the Deus 2.

Where the CTX really shines is how much accurate information it gives the user about the target. Best Target ID I’ve ever seen. While the Deus 2 ID is very good, it’s still no match for FBS ID in my opinion. However, what the Deus lacks in Target ID, it makes up for in tone info. It has the most descriptive tones of any detector I’ve ever used. Just like the 3030, with the D2, I know when I’m on a deep coin. I know when I’m on a trash signal. Unlike the 3030, I can swing the Deus 2 for hours without getting tired. So I cover more ground which means more finds.

Like I said in the original review, it takes a lot more than 50 hours to really get to know a detector. I’m still learning, but my confidence level with the D2 is very high now.

The CTX has been an outstanding detector. I have no plans of selling it, unless Minelab releases an updated FBS machine, which I highly doubt. I’ll just be retiring it to backup duty.

Now, you will never hear me say that the Deus 2 (or any detector for that matter) is the best or the most superior. There isn’t a best detector. Never will be. Only what’s best for you. We all have different needs and preferences. The Deus 2 just happens to be working very well for me. You may love it too, or you may not like it at all. Keep that in mind when reading or watching any of these reviews. Including this one. You should never base your purchasing decision on one review. Don’t get me wrong, reviews are a great source of info, but no single review should be taken as the gospel. Take what you can from it, but also read what everyone else is saying as a whole before making your decision.

As for me? I’m loving the Deus 2.

Time for my weekly finds update and a slight update to this review.

For the past 7 days I’ve been detecting for about 2 hours every afternoon after work. I’ve been using the Silver Slayer program. Last week I scored another 12 silvers bringing my D2 silver count to 32. These are all from public properties, mostly curb strips, some of which I’ve hit before. No new permissions.

6a13469869ce381ec343fe58d6718eac.jpg

Also scored a really cool old solid brass lock from Eagle Lock Co. This is actually my favorite find of the week.

94f1dfa5c1fd3b1f9d0ad8016f7ec56a.jpg

Now for the update to my review. I was hoping that I’d be able to edit the original post but unfortunately the edit time limit has expired, so I’ll just have to post updates in the thread.

Anyway, I want to revisit this part of my review:

Ok, so I’ve had a slight change of heart. When I posted the above I was still very new to the D2 with only 50 hours under my belt. I now have hundreds of hours on it and a much better understanding of its capabilities. Set up properly, the Deus 2 can ABSOLUTELY cherry pick and coin shoot with the best of them. My silver count reflects that.

I’ve been using my CTX 3030 for a long time. I know that machine inside and out. Over the years I’ve used several other detectors including the original Deus and the Equinox 800. While all of them were good, none of them could dethrone my trusty CTX as my primary detector. Until now. I recently asked myself this question: if I could only keep one detector, which would it be? Surprisingly, the answer is the Deus 2.

Where the CTX really shines is how much accurate information it gives the user about the target. Best Target ID I’ve ever seen. While the Deus 2 ID is very good, it’s still no match for FBS ID in my opinion. However, what the Deus lacks in Target ID, it makes up for in tone info. It has the most descriptive tones of any detector I’ve ever used. Just like the 3030, with the D2, I know when I’m on a deep coin. I know when I’m on a trash signal. Unlike the 3030, I can swing the Deus 2 for hours without getting tired. So I cover more ground which means more finds.

Like I said in the original review, it takes a lot more than 50 hours to really get to know a detector. I’m still learning, but my confidence level with the D2 is very high now.

The CTX has been an outstanding detector. I have no plans of selling it, unless Minelab releases an updated FBS machine, which I highly doubt. I’ll just be retiring it to backup duty.

Now, you will never hear me say that the Deus 2 (or any detector for that matter) is the best or the most superior. There isn’t a best detector. Never will be. Only what’s best for you. We all have different needs and preferences. The Deus 2 just happens to be working very well for me. You may love it too, or you may not like it at all. Keep that in mind when reading or watching any of these reviews. Including this one. You should never base your purchasing decision on one review. Don’t get me wrong, reviews are a great source of info, but no single review should be taken as the gospel. Take what you can from it, but also read what everyone else is saying as a whole before making your decision.

As for me? I’m loving the Deus 2.

Nice finds.
Your assessment is in line with my assessment.
Thanks for sharing.
Question for you.
Finding many shallow silvers?
Surprising shallow in places you have been before.

:mad: and

Hey Rattle, did you extend your original program’s notch from 80 to 87 or is that a typo? Originally you had the upper limit of your notch at 80, but in the post above you have it at 87. Were you digging too many zincolns with it at 80?

Back
Top Bottom