First Day Out With Xterra 705 Scores Me a Merc. Could Use Some Input From Xterra Vets.

Greek2Me

Forum Supporter
Got out for a couple hours today with the 705. I was using the 18.75kHz coil and ran it in 4 tone mode with the coin pattern opened up from 22 to 46. I blocked everything else out. I was running 27 sensitivity. I dug a ton of trash. For some reason, folded foil was dinging around 46 to 48. Then I rejected 48 and that helped some.

I got lucky on the dime as it wasn't a very clean signal at 6 inches. It was bouncing between 36 and 40. In pinpoint mode it was showing 40 all the way around it. The one thing I really really like about the 705 is the way it shows numbers while in pinpoint mode. That is really helpful.

Please feel free to throw me some pointers if you see something im doing wrong with the settings on the 705.

Thanks for looking!
G2M

Attachments

• 011412183346.jpg
    011412183346.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 817
  • 011412184220.jpg
    011412184220.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 727
  • 011412184141.jpg
    011412184141.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 627
You're not doing anything wrong, we're using metal detectors, they detect metal and sometimes classify it correctly, sometimes not. Your finds were better than mine today, so I would say you had a good day!

You found a Merc on your first time out with a new machine.:laughing:we should be asking for pointers from you. Great find.

Thanks all!

I went out all day today and I dug more bottle caps than I care to say. :( I did manage $1.50 in clad.

I was running in all metal mode 99 tones, with about 24 sensitivity. I noticed when you swing over a bottle cap, there is usually a very low tone before and after hitting on the cap. They were ringing in from 44-46-48 with about a -8 before and after. I didn't dig any deep coins at all today. I am wondering if I had my sensitivity too high?

I have read the Ebook by Randy Horton. I am still a bit confused on knowing the correct settings for where I am hunting.

Thanks again for the comments!

G2M

My friend popcandetector has the 705. He is still learning it. Any advice you can give him would be great..

I used the xterra 70 before I got my etrac and it basically same as 705, I would run sens at 24-25 on most sites, but my soil is real mild. 22-23 still gets you good depth!

I would run multi tone and ONLY disc out iron. I never in 1.5 yrs dug one single good target at 48. On the xterras they have a problem with what i call iron wrap around, the iron in the negative numbers would bleed over to 48 since they are side by side. Not sure if that makes sense or not?

rusty bottle caps...if I got the signal like u said, I would turn 90 degrees and normally the signal would go away or be real scratchy.

another cool thing you can do with ur xterra is run it very similar to how I do the etrac in high iron. U put it in all metal and 2 tones, iron grunts and all else gives a higher tone. I used it like that in the field, and now my wife uses it. simple machine to use, I loved mine and will never sell it

Congrats on your finds. Just curious how come you went from the Etrac back to a 705? Is there any advantages?

Im learning the Xterra 705 so I can give it to my wife to use and I can help her out when she has questions. I will use the 705 to relic hunt. Its mostly for her though.

G2M

A better question would be is why you bought an AT pro if you have two minelabs.....??

One thing I will add, if you wife is gonna use the 705 for coinshooting, you def. want the 3khz coil, after I put that on, I never took it off, it hits so much harder on silver and deep copper it aint funny. I estimate an extra 1-2 inches depth on silver and copper coins with it

One thing I will add, if you wife is gonna use the 705 for coinshooting, you def. want the 3khz coil, after I put that on, I never took it off, it hits so much harder on silver and deep copper it aint funny. I estimate an extra 1-2 inches depth on silver and copper coins with it

If we ever get used to using concentric coils. I am so stuck on DD coils. I love the wiggle pinpoint on DD coils. As with anything, im sure it just takes lots of practice. :D

G2M

A better question would be is why you bought an AT pro if you have two minelabs.....??

After him watching me the last few weeks pull all the old coins & silver out of the ground with my At-Pro and him being a E-Trac user he's just to embarrassed to admit that its a good machine.. :lol:

Because we like to go out into the rivers and dig bottle caps! :lol: oh, and the occasional penny.

G2M

..... :p:lol:

Old iron and steel will often pop up in the high 40's. The best explanation i ever heard was to think of the number line not as going from one end to the other but rather as a loop, meaning high 40's is close to negative #'s, this made alot of sense to me....With the 705, as i guess with any detector, look for solid repeatable signals that don;t jump around alot.
Congrats on the merc on your first spin!

Back
Top Bottom