DIY cable quick change clips

Foragist

Forum Supporter
I have for years thought it would be nice to have some "quick change" clips mounted on the detector's shaft; making the cable mounting very quick and easy when changing coils. I saw a post a while ago, where one guy used some nice, factory made clips that fit on the shaft, and the cable clipped into nicely. I have looked for these clips in stores, and online, and did not see them. Today, with a little FMDF inspiration, I made my own clips out of 1/4" fuel line and zip ties. The cable snaps in and out easily, and it seems to hold it firmly in place. Whatever excess coil you end up with, gets coiled up at the top, and may be wrapped, etc. Field testing will have to wait until spring.
Input?

Attachments

• DSCN9328.jpg
    DSCN9328.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 759
  • DSCN9329.jpg
    DSCN9329.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 535
  • DSCN9332.jpg
    DSCN9332.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 532
  • DSCN9335.jpg
    DSCN9335.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCN9338.jpg
    DSCN9338.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 540
Nice idea. I might borrow it.

Thanks. Borrow away! I only ask that you send me 30% of your good finds for the first year. :lol:

These can be customized by length. You can cut your preferred slot width. If your fuel line is curved, you can use that curve to match the angle where the cable comes off the shaft. I didn't do that, but it still holds well. I cut about a 1/8th inch wide slot for easy "quick change" clipping.

Attachments

• DSCN9345.jpg
    DSCN9345.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 548
I just added a 4th and final clip to stabilize the upper loop of cable. This time I cut and mounted it with the curvature matching the curvature of the cable.

Attachments

• DSCN9347.jpg
    DSCN9347.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 556
I like it!

Very nice idea! I can see the idea being very practical and handy.

That’s slick!

Really cool!

Thats Outstanding! I love it! You are quite the little thinker arent you!:laughing:

Great idea, like it.

Great idea!

Thanks guys! Yeah, I have my creative days. Now, I'm looking at a long wait for the spring thaw. It's only freezing deeper here.

Not a bad idea. I use cable clips from plugger to secure my wire but I have lost a couple due to swinging in heavy muck while water hunting.

Attachments

• cableclips.JPG
    cableclips.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 428
Not a bad idea. I use cable clips from plugger to secure my wire but I have lost a couple due to swinging in heavy muck while water hunting.

I looked at a few hardware stores, and ebay for something like those. Never found them. Look like they would work well, in most usage scenarios. Not sure how mine will hold in water hunting. I suspect the cable could pop out, but the clip should stay in place.

I looked at a few hardware stores, and ebay for something like those. Never found them. Look like they would work well, in most usage scenarios. Not sure how mine will hold in water hunting. I suspect the cable could pop out, but the clip should stay in place.

They hold on pretty tight, but like I said...I was hunting in heavy muck so one popped off. You can get them on ebay through rods_by_plugger

Back
Top Bottom