90,000 abandoned properties in Detroit

There are some houses in my town that have been abandoned and are now H.U.D. listed with certain realtors. I called about one on the next block to see if I could get permission to hunt. The answer was 'we can't give you a yes or a no, you will have to contact H.U.D. directly'. So for now, I'm just crossing it off my list because trying to get anyone in a Gov. office to take responsibility for an answer would be crazy. Shucks, cause it would be a great yard to hunt! : (

I saw something recently where the Mayor of Detroit said the whole city should be bulldozed. As far as metal detecting you better go with an armed guard and make your detector look as raggedy as possible. At the very least it'd get stolen, and lots worse things could happen.

I grew up in the Detroit metro area.
Hate to say it but, if you go to most of these neighborhoods to hunt, you are going to be the treasure.
A nice metal detector, wallet and money, jewelery, your car.
Maybe a trip to the nearest ATM with some new acquaintances.
Quite a haul!

But you will get a chance to check out some really nice guns up close and personal, if you are into that.

Padlock, you are insane if you think this will work.
Trust me, I am being DEAD SERIOUS, if you get my meaning.

like I said im serious the members of the MD club I belong to 90% of them have Concealed weapons permits and when they go in to the bad parts of detroit they carry them

like I said im serious the members of the MD club I belong to 90% of them have Concealed weapons permits and when they go in to the bad parts of detroit they carry them

Ok, Padlock, but to risk your life for a few coins or a piece of jewelery is Darwin Award stuff, if you ask me.
In the late 60's, two couples, friends of my parents, went downtown to a restaurant.
They were on the Lodge and had a flat tire so they pulled over to change it.
Not 5 minutes later, a pack of 8 kids scrambled down the embankment and surrounded them...two guns were pointed at them
Not one of the kids was more than 10 years old.
I once had a close call myself with a friend switching buses on the way to Tiger stadium about 1969 or 70.
I worked as an electrician in the late 70's and did work in several of these neighborhoods, from time to time
The feeling I got from the looks we received in our fully loaded step van was akin to a meaty pork chop surrounded by a pack of hungry dogs.
I admit I have not been up there in several decades, but I have to believe things have not gotten better since I left.
There are some good people up there too, I knew and worked with plenty, not everyone is dangerous, but you better believe the smart ones watch their backs during the day and lock themselves behind iron door and window coverings at night.
Like I said, urban guerrilla metal detecting with guns and lookouts sounds like Darwin Award stuff to me...and not much fun.

To each his own.

I am not sure if hunting in Detroit would be such a great idea, it's a really "ghetto" city...
:)Yes that is the case , it is a very dangerous place to be. If you go there bring your AK 47 and couple of armed friends along side.Even than it would not be safe.:)

I saw something recently where the Mayor of Detroit said the whole city should be bulldozed. As far as metal detecting you better go with an armed guard and make your detector look as raggedy as possible. At the very least it'd get stolen, and lots worse things could happen.

Not the whole city just the condemned properties, but that might not be all that bad of an idea.

I had to register in order to post so I did. You all are making Detroit out to be a war zone. I laugh pretty hard at that. I am your average white bread suburbanite and while I probably would not walk around the neighborhoods of Detroit (proper) alone at night, I most certainly would not be too afraid to go places during the day. I mean I can go on and on about how bad the city CAN be but in reality it's all about common sense. No I would not walk around wearing things that would make you stand out like that pretty gold watch or loafers with no socks on, that kind of thing. It's not like suburbanites are getting killed down there or anything. Yes Detroit is in rough shape and it is a DAMN shame! I however walk around that city all the time and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. I will admit I was scared at one point in the wee hours of the morning on a Saturday night when I passed about 200 young people waiting outside of a club while I came strolling by in a sportcoat and khakis. Yeah, I got looks but mainly I think they were a little scared of me. I was WAY too out of place and in a way that may have kept them away. Either way, I have had ZERO problems travelling around The D and I am seriously considering some treasure hunting down there. It just makes too much sense not to. It's an old town that has essentially been standing idle and decomposing for the last 45 years. Imagine how much valuble stuff is just waiting to be plucked from the abandoned streets. You all should take note that Motown was a pretty snazzy town back at the turn of the century (1900) all the way up until the 50s. My father who is 65 grew up there in what is now hell on earth. So odds are that there are lots of good stuff to be found. You know that there are entire blocks that are completely abandoned? Not just one or two either but many. Think of all the abandoned factories that are just fenced off that were seeing glory days back in the 20s, 30s and 40s. Think of all the old time philosophies that were carried out back then with tens of thousands of homes all over the damn place. Hell you could probably strike a deal with a cop to drive you around to various sites all day long. God knows nobody is watching them. Anyhow, I am going to ponder the idea and I just might start doing it.

To say that Detroit is this insane blood bath of a city where every corner is filled with violent murderers and if you step out of your car you are as good as dead is just stupid. And to all you Detroiters, I am ashamed that you would exaggerate about your home like that. Come on, you know damn well it aint true OR you just have not left Watertucky in a while.

Detroit and it's surrounding areas are a great place to live. In a way it's good that people don't know how much treasure we really have here with our beautiful state and our freshwater lakes. Our tap water is better than your Evian stuff, so beat that!

....oh and thanks for having me! I promise I wont be a problem here, just needed to stand up for Motown.

Way to go Fullspeed!

Hey Fullspeed, I'm with you my man!

This suburbanite would love to head downtown with you and do a little "coil swinging" if you were interested. I too believe Detroit has its good and bad points (and areas as well) but the history is hard to ignore.

I am 6'-2", 270 lbs, ex-military (Army) and a current firefighter/EMT-B that doesn't get to intimidated by much. I completed my concealed pistol license class and just need to bring it to the county for my official permit. I will have your back!!!

Consider this an invitation to others as well, maybe a group of 3 or 4 hunting sites downtown would be fun. There are some great restaurants to have a bite to eat for lunchbreak.

Let me know.

Ed

Well I think its a safe guess that most of the abandoned propeties are in the bad areas , thats why most of them are abandoned and run down. Maybe not all of them but probably the majority. And many of these places are in neighborhoods where the police dont even like to be. Maybe its not a war zone but definately not safe no matter who you are. I wanted to see some of old Detroit but my wife who is from there said no its a place where you could wind up in a lot of trouble being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I think I read before where Detroit and Wash. D.C. were the two worst cities in the country for violent crime and racial violence. But we are talking inner city , not the suburbs which are actually pretty nice.

I certainly don't think any one race is responsible for the way Detroit or any other city is right now. It's the economy. Once factories stared closing in Detroit, things just snowballed. Sure, there are good people still there that have jobs or legitimate income. There are also many who are there because they cannot afford to move, or have no where else to go. You stick with what you know.
Also, desperation can make you do things you would not normally do. When you go hungry for a few days or worse your children do or you can't pay the rent you will consider doing things you would'nt think of when times are good. Ask me how I know.

Folks, race has no place in this forum.

The offending post and the posts of well intentioned members that quoted the remark have been deleted.

Hey Fullspeed, I'm with you my man!

This suburbanite would love to head downtown with you and do a little "coil swinging" if you were interested. I too believe Detroit has its good and bad points (and areas as well) but the history is hard to ignore.

I am 6'-2", 270 lbs, ex-military (Army) and a current firefighter/EMT-B that doesn't get to intimidated by much. I completed my concealed pistol license class and just need to bring it to the county for my official permit. I will have your back!!!

Consider this an invitation to others as well, maybe a group of 3 or 4 hunting sites downtown would be fun. There are some great restaurants to have a bite to eat for lunchbreak.

Let me know.

Ed

Forming a posse? COOL!
That's the way to go though. If people allow the criminal elements in an area to scare them off, then the criminals win. There's safety in numbers.

I don't waste my time md'ing the rough areas in my neck of the woods, I have plenty of safe areas to go to. But I do have a concealed carry permit, and I do carry sometimes. I'm responsible for my own safety.

It's a personal call if you go into an area considered dangerous. But kudos if you guys hook up and go detecting.:clap: It's great that you won't be dissuaded from doing something you enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom