Ever find a cache?

Usa

Elite Member
The dream of every detectorist... a cache of old silver or gold. Well, how many of you all have found one? Pic's would be good if you have em. And to all who have-congratulations.

While I have found a cache, it was not with a detector. I was living in MA, in an old house, and I found a small door under the stairway to the unfinished basement. It was not easy to see so I thought it would be a good place for my collection. I had to move a paint can to fit the box it was in. So after moving the can several times, I happened to notice that there was a screw top on the paint can! Having never seen that before, I was curious. I took out the can and noticed that someone took a large mayonnaise jar and put it in the paint can then surrounded it with cement. When I opened the top I found a calendar with only Nov. and Dec. left from 1963, an old wall plug, and three rolls wrapped in aluminum foil. When I opened the rolls I was looking at Eagles and Bells! There was 100 silver half dollars dating from 1917 to 1963. Many different dates and mints, but no key or even semi key. This just proved to me that caches do actually exist and to always keep my eyes open for anything out of the ordinary!

While I have found a cache, it was not with a detector. I was living in MA, in an old house, and I found a small door under the stairway to the unfinished basement. It was not easy to see so I thought it would be a good place for my collection. I had to move a paint can to fit the box it was in. So after moving the can several times, I happened to notice that there was a screw top on the paint can! Having never seen that before, I was curious. I took out the can and noticed that someone took a large mayonnaise jar and put it in the paint can then surrounded it with cement. When I opened the top I found a calendar with only Nov. and Dec. left from 1963, an old wall plug, and three rolls wrapped in aluminum foil. When I opened the rolls I was looking at Eagles and Bells! There was 100 silver half dollars dating from 1917 to 1963. Many different dates and mints, but no key or even semi key. This just proved to me that caches do actually exist and to always keep my eyes open for anything out of the ordinary!

That's awesome.

I have found several "commissioned/tame" ones (not "wild"). For next of kin who are looking for something their brother or grandfather was rumored to have buried.

As for "wild" caches, the closest I came was to be a part of a group of guys who dug up a scattered one. Tractors had apparently broken into jars of thousands of silver coins. And unknowingly scattered them over an acre or two. They only dated to whatever was in circulation in the early 1960s. So it was Washington quarters, mercs and roosies, franklins and walkers, etc.... Between about 8 or 9 hunters, an easy couple of thousand silver coins were found. Sometimes still stuck together in clumps. I was Johny-come-lately to that spot, and got only perhaps 100 silver coins.

As ironic as it sounds: There were probably more caches found by md'rs, in the 1960s and early 1970s, per capita of md'ing practitioners, than there is being found today. Because those old BFO and early all-metal TR's, were doing good to get 3 to 4" on a coin. But they still had NO PROBLEM getting toaster, can, and jar sized items. Doh! So in a certain sense, all the "added sensitivity" and discrimination and TID has resulted in LESS caches being found these days, per capita. Nowadays we "pass those durned soda cans and hubcaps". Because we can easily ID them. But back-in-the-day, they dug every beep, and lacked depth on small items. Hence, the "less sensitive detectors" are actually the better cache hunters :)

Yes, on my computer, quite often I have to clean it out. Oooooooh , you meant THAT kind of cache.:facepalm: uh, no.

I have found the remains of a cache, all smaller silvers, that got spread around with heavy equipment but a few months later I went back with a friend who found the big ones still where they should have been.

I know of an old farmstead where the home owners didn't believe in banks. Lady at work told me it was her neighbors family and they dug up the cashed coins/items after the old man died. But maybe one was missed. Still haven't made it to the site. Should definitely go and detect around all the old trees I suppose.

Yes some of my first silver coins one of which I still have was found from a cache of a foreign coin spill. It's actually in my posting history.

On the Blvd to my community stretching about 2 miles I kept finding foreign coins on the median all scattered about. I could tell it was all from the same cache. I found Canadian silver and other sixpence silver.

I still could never understand this cache. It's like someone spread foreign coins like breadcrumbs for a trail, or a car accident that scattered coins about 2 miles about. Or heavy machinery scattered them when working on the medians.

Wow, that's awesome! I would love to find a cache like that one day.

Dude you got lucky lol best I found in my house when I moved in was a 1963 cinc reds game ticket stub stashed away. The woman I bought the house from was thrilled, her dad took her to that game when she was little.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

I was lucky enough to stumble onto a fairly large cache of big silver and gold coins back in 2012. I'm still recovering scattered coins from the location to this day. I used to think finding this sort of thing just didn't happen.. Not to regular Joe's like me anyway. But they are out there! It's just a matter of getting your coil over the right spot. :cheers:

Wow, that's awesome! I would love to find a cache like that one day.

Dude you got lucky lol best I found in my house when I moved in was a 1963 cinc reds game ticket stub stashed away. The woman I bought the house from was thrilled, her dad took her to that game when she was little.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Thanks guys, I was very lucky to find this, I just wish that I still had them. The money I got came in handy with the small kids.

Back
Top Bottom