what's a good tumbler/polisher

ColoradoMike

I'm in the market for a tumbler/polisher that won't break the bank but will give good service. I'm just planning on using it to clean clad coins. Anyone have a recommendation on brand/model? Thanks in advance.
Mike

I just searched and here is a Harbor Freight tumbler - ($44.99 and if you can find a coupon then that would make it even less)

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html

it's got 3.8 out of 5 stars with 205 reviews as of right now on that page

image_5745.jpg

I just searched and here is a Harbor Freight tumbler - ($44.99 and if you can find a coupon then that would make it even less)

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html

it's got 3.8 out of 5 stars with 205 reviews as of right now on that page

View attachment 409825
I use a HF Two drum tumbler.. Their current catalogue has a 20% coupon that's valid until until 3/31/18. You should be able to print it online if you want to buy a HF single or dual drum..

See if you can get a cheap cement mixer from someone. I've got one and it can hold hundreds and hundreds of coins. Works well too.

What I see other folks using is the Harbor Freight.

I own and use the HF tumbler for the dirty coins I dont plan to keep. I use the tumbler for other things but dirty clad coins clean up quick and easy. I recently purchased a Ultra Sonic cleaner and can say I love it. There is plenty of videos how to use a tumbler. Soap and water works well. Hope this helps.

I have a "Lortone" brand tumbler. I've been using it since 1984, it's still going strong, and it gets a lot of use. It's two barrel tumbler that I paid around $35 for in 1984. They're probably a lot more nowadays.

I have a big ol' cement mixer. Never would I have thought of using it to clean coins. LOL
Mike

The single drum Harbor Freight tumbler is $38 here locally after tax and 20% discount.
My second cheap electric tumbler just died, gear-driven plastic kid's toy (worked great, and three spin time settings) I had only $25 invested (second one was free), both lasted a total of about seven years. ToysWereUs :cool: sold them.

Not sure if I'm going to spend the $38 on a new tumbler...that's a lot of clad and I'm typically not a clad digger...although, tumblers are great for small old relics; I think I'll just do the milk jug water/soap/gravel shake, as the coin counter doesn't care if the clad is shiny or not.

This thread pop up in a very timely manner. just started looking into this myself.

I read some reviews on the Harbor Freight units and there were a lot of complaints about the belts and motors. Has anybody gotten one here in the last couple of years and can give an opinion on the durability of the units?

Ray

Last edited:
I've heard don't mix pennies with silver coins in a tumbler because there might be a color transfer between coins. I guess tumble like coins together.

Take a look at Extreme Tumblers. That is what I use. It is bigger than those little tumblers you get at HF. But I can clean a lot of coinage rather quickly. It is a little pricey but is a very well built tumbler.

Attachments

• extreme tumbler.jpg
    extreme tumbler.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 114
Take a look at Extreme Tumblers. That is what I use. It is bigger than those little tumblers you get at HF. But I can clean a lot of coinage rather quickly. It is a little pricey but is a very well built tumbler.

A little pricey is an understatement on the ones I just looked up. I am sure they are great construction but for just cleaning clad I think it is little to much. If you were doing re-loading then I think you could justify the price.

Ray

I'm in the market for a tumbler/polisher that won't break the bank but will give good service. I'm just planning on using it to clean clad coins. Anyone have a recommendation on brand/model? Thanks in advance.
Mike

Will also suggest looking at Harbor Freight. Signup online to get their e-mailers and you can get some 20% and 25% discount coupons.

Harbor Freight has several options - single or double barrel. Have some bigger ones that work well.

Seems like you can find a Harbor Freight in several Colorado locations - Pueblo, Canon City, Colorado Springs, Greeley, probably several other locations.

This thread pop up in a very timely manner. just started looking into this myself.

I read some reviews on the Harbor Freight units and there were a lot of complaints about the belts and motors. Has anybody gotten one here in the last couple of years and can give an opinion on the durability of the units?

Ray

Actually have one - and Harbor Freight have more than one choice in tumblers for not a lot of money. You can get their adds sent to your e-mail and usually have a 20% or 25% discount coupon.

The one thing you have to be careful is what you use to clean with. Lots of suggestions can be found on the web. If you put something in them that generates gas in the cleaning process can expand the container and it hangs up and this can burn the motor up.

Back
Top Bottom