My Old Eyes...

Dtcjem

How in gods name does everyone read the dates on coins you pull up? I have a giant magnifying glass and struggle to make out date on a dime. Am I missing a super diggers secret on how to see these? Cheaters just aren’t cutting it.

After so long you develop a feel for the date! NOT!

I know what you mean. Nothing worse than not knowing what you just recovered. Of course my eyes I can blame on age, or so they tell me, but I look at it like this. Now I get to discover my stuff twice. Once when I recover it and once when I get home and can read the date. LOL.

I also have a heck of a time posting now thanks to poor eyesight. I need to proofread all my posts but sometime I just don't have time and when I go back later and read what I posted I think OMG! people think I'm nutz or ignorant.

I use my smart phone and take a picture of it.. then look at the picture and zoom it in.. works on a lot more things than dates on a coin.. ;)

For the stuff I have a hard time seeing even after my glasses and a lope I take a picture with my camera and use software, Paint Shop 4.12, to blow it up.

The reason I say Paint Shop 4.12 is because it was the last free version that is fully functional. It has a slight pause at the startup while it gives you the option to purchase, but 5 seconds is a small price to pay for a good paint program.

I also have the full Paint Shop Pro version I bought but still use the 4.12 more often. It quick just not as full featured.

I use this digital microscope that shines a light on what you're taking an enlarged picture of, great for close ups of coins and other smaller items, it plugs into a USB port on your computer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262361512520

microscope.jpg

Some great suggestions. Those using eye loupes is there any specific one you are using? Love the idea of the USB microscope as well.

Some great suggestions. Those using eye loupes is there any specific one you are using? Love the idea of the USB microscope as well.
Just the standard 10X fold out metal one. I like the one with a one inch lense.

I actually just ordered a 20x loupe for looking at coins. We use both 10x and 20x commonly at work (I work in the wire and cable industry). Any closer than that we take it to the microscope.

That's the ticket. I want one.:yes:

I believe there are several members on the forum that use a USB microscope, I've had mine for a while now and it works great.

It has the added benefit of not only being able to see coins and other objects up close live, but you can also take pictures and/or videos with it too !

I know what you mean. Worst part for me is when I’m recording a live dig for YouTube. Out pops a nice silver dime and I’m like “it’s a ummmm ... hold on a second... it’s a 19.... uh....well it’s a damn silver dime but I have no clue what the date is”.. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light is the key. More light = smaller pupils = better focus. It's the principle a pinhole camera works on... but it requires good light.

I use something like this... not this one, so I can't recommend this one, but similar. Found this on Amaz...ingly popular online shopping site.

"MSLAN 30X 60X 90X Jewelers loupe,Small Portable Magnifier with Led and UV Light"

IMG_9005.JPG

I'd be afraid of breaking that out in the field! Is there a belt clip for carrying? :cool:

Sorry, I didn't see your question earlier.

I think that USB microscope really isn't normally meant for field use. As far as if it could be used for field use depends if you can take a laptop computer with you as that USB microscope must be plugged in to a computer to be used.

Back
Top Bottom