Not a good eyeball find

A few years ago, when I was out bow hunting, I spied a nest hanging about 15ft up in a sappling tree.
It was a cool October evening,
I broke out my pack saw, cut the tree, came back later with a trash bag, then later bug bombed it.
Must have been several hundred of those white faced hornets in that thing!
Now it hangs in my den.
30c24580dec81471fe00493c3629d4ab.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

This year I got FAKE Nests and hung them around the house (front and back).. looks pretty much just like what you have there.

Supposed to fool the Wasps that there is an active hive and they won't go within 200 feet of it.

So far seems to work pretty good as very few wasps this year around the house

I need to try that as the Wasps are getting terrible around here. They recently took over my mower and the yard it really looking bad.

Bald-faced hornets are actually yellow jackets. Don’t kill ‘em as they are beneficial...they like to eat other bugs and are also pollinators. About those paper nests, be careful bringing one into the house :lol: make sure there’s been a few killing frosts first in case you do...and those nests can bring a few bucks as collectibles, I see some listed on ebay for over $200 :shock:

Strangely enough, I found a nest one winter. It was about chin level in a tree next to my porch steps. It had been there all summer without me noticing it, or seeing a single hornet. I took it down and destroyed it, because I didn't want to take a chance of the next generation being a little more observant or aggressive.

-- Tom

That is pretty funky looking.lol..Hope you didn’t get hit up when you found it,those white faced hornets are one mean bunch,they definitely don’t play around.

nah...I didn't have an issue...it was last fall and they weren't active. Took it down and destroyed it. Found a couple small "starter" nests there this year, but haven't done anything yet as they're not active either. Not sure why.

I did find some crawling into a light fixture on the outside of my house. Sprayed that and hundreds fell out, dead as a coffin nail.

As a quick sidebar: Wait until evening, as the sun is going down, to spray for them. They can't see very well in dim light, and the majority have made it back to the nest. That's the time to spray, and take out the entire hive at once.

Roger

Minding my own business, trying to earn a buck and Rin into these fellas up in the tree If you see a nest like this ,Run,,hurts like hell when they sting you lol

I got my butt kicked by a nest of yellow jackets few years back. Was just posting about that the other day. Those in your pick are hornets. I'm sure they are worse.

Back when we were kids, we used to find some other kid who had yet to experience the wonderment of running at warp speed, or knew anything about the World of dangerous Bugdom...generally somebodies younger Brother....

We'd see a big wasp nest in our alley way travels, and for entertainment, give the young kid a stick and told him it was a 'Polish Pinata'....:laughing:

One stupid Kid went on to medal at the 76 Olympics! Took the Gold in the Decathalon that year even! Got his face on the Wheaties box! Bruce something or another was his name, like I said, just somebodies little stupid brother...boy though, that kid could run with wasps on his @ss!:laughing:

Wonder what ever happened to that kid? He had to be traumatized by the whole experience? I feel sorta bad about that...

Just don't do this ----> :hornetsnest: :yikes: :shock: :lol:

(some versions of wasps make nests in the ground I think, so you need to look both low and high, for ground nests and tree nests !)

you're absolutely right about some living in the ground! last year my neighbor's lawn care dude was mowing and managed to get 3 or 4 stings before he realized where they were coming from.
i myself am quite allergic to them and not wanting them around, i took it upon myself to spray them (she even bought the spray for me if i was willing to use it, lol).
after some careful observation to see where the entrance to the nest was, i snuck out one night and let them have it full blast! only then did i notice that they even had a second entrance about 2 feet from the main entrance so i soaked the heck out of that one as well. who knows how many of them were really in there, but i'm guessing it was a LOT!

I was detecting a local house built in 1911 that had a wooded area to the rear. There was a stone wall about 20 yards into the woods and I thought it might be a good place to swing. I was not there long before I saw the first yellow jacket, then another and more and more. I looked around and 20 feet away was a hole in the ground the size of a basketball with hundreds of yellow jackets flying in and out. I made a hasty exit! When the home owner later asked me what I found I told him I found the mother of all bees nest in the ground. Turns out they have had bee problems for years and never knew where they were coming from.

Back
Top Bottom